Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problems connecting usb card reader/usb stick/hard drives

Default problems connecting usb card reader/usb stick/hard drives

Hi all, I'm new to Suse, have come from Linux Mint. I am having problems with connecting card readers with CF cards, USB sticks to my computer, once plugged, I select open with file manager and then I get an error message pop up saying malformed URL, if I close that and then open Dolphin I find that the reader is mounted and available and its contents can be read. Is there a way to set my system up to to stop the error message and to also allow the card reader to remain visable in Dolphins menu once it has been safely removed so I can just click on it to remount rather than having to unplug and then plug in again to make it visible? I have a similar problem with internal extra hard drives, when I try to open them I get the message ' An error occurred while accessing 'Home', the system responded: The device is already mounted: Device /dev/sdb1 is already mounted at `/run/media/aj/drive2'.' I'm running Tumbleweed, everything else, Nvidia, Broadcom wireless etc seems to work OK now after a little fiddling around. Processor is an Intel 5930K, mobo is Asus x99 delux with 32 gb memory. Any help gratefully received but I please remember that this system is totally new to me. Adrian

Default Re: problems connecting usb card reader/usb stick/hard drives

Hello and welcome to the openSUSE forums.
    ... I select open with file manage ...
    probably means that you use a desktop. Which one (KDE, Gnome, ......)
    It also probably means you get a pop-up from where you make that choice "Open with file manager". Is that correct?
    Henk van Velden

Yes, I'm using KDE Plasma desktop, sorry for the omission.

Adrian

Thank you Wolfi323, that does indeed seem like it may be my problem, or at least a part of it,. will see if I can figure out how to get around it to see if all the problems disappear. With the hard drives I did think it may be a permissions thing but now think this may be at the bottom of it all.

Apologies for my slow responses, the forum seems to be running very slowly, even refreshing the page can take fifteen minutes or so!

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by quercus View Post

Apologies for my slow responses, the forum seems to be running very slowly, even refreshing the page can take fifteen minutes or so!
    Same here. I can assure you that that is not what we nomally experience.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Same here. I can assure you that that is not what we nomally experience.
    I'm pleased that it isn't just me lol

I'm not sure how I'm going to rectify this 'bug' though, I have no way of going back to previous states as this is a totally new install. I cannot find any older versions of udisks2 listed in any of the repositories I have enabled, if that is indeed how I need to get around the problems. I am a little worried about corrupting any data on the hard drives/CF cards as they contain photos that cannot be repeated. I also need to be able swap out hard drives on a fairly regular basis.

Adrian

Being new to OpenSuse I am just wondering if I could install another file manager such as Konqueror or something else that may not be affected by the bug. Would this introduce conflicts or cause other problems on my system. At the moment it is running beautifully, don't want to mess things up.

Adrian

Being new to OpenSuse I am just wondering if I could install another file manager such as Konqueror or something else that may not be affected by the bug. Would this introduce conflicts or cause other problems on my system. At the moment it is running beautifully, don't want to mess things up.

Adrian
    I would assume that Konqueror is installed with KDE.

But I am not sure it helps because you say Dolphin is already working correct. The problem seems to be before a file manager is really started by the software "behind the pop-up".
    Henk van Velden

I cannot find any older versions of udisks2 listed in any of the repositories I have enabled, if that is indeed how I need to get around the problems.
    Use Yast2 - Software Management - Repositories - Configuration - Repositories - Add - Specify URL... to *Temporarily* add the Leap 15 OSS Repo ( URL to use:
    http://download.opensuse.org/distrib...15.0/repo/oss/ )

After it is added and has refreshed use the Search Tab and search for udisks2, the results pane should return libudisks2-0 and udisks2. For each use the Versions Tab to select the 2.6.5 (leap) versions and "Update Unconditionally". After they have "updated" select each and mark as "Protected - Do not modify".

Then remove (or at least disable) the leap repository as you don't want to inadvertently add any other packages from there.
    Last edited by tannington; 21-Mar-2018 at 09:46. Reason: Typo...
    Regards, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast