Graphics Card - Nvidia update

Hi,

I recently set up a brand new computer and set up the graphics card from SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE Wiki

YaST

1. Open YaST, then click Software Repositories.
  2. Click Add (in the bottom left), then select Community Repositories.
  3. Select NVIDIA Graphics Drivers, then click OK.
  4. Go back to the YaST Control Center and click Software Management.
  5. View > Repositories > NVIDIA
  6. Choose the appropriate driver: x11-video-nvidiaG02, x11-video-nvidiaG03 or x11-video-nvidiaG04
  7. Press Accept.
  8. Restart your computer.

It worked well but then as I am a noob, I got lost in other installations and to resolve the situation, re partitioned my hard disk and reinstall Leap 42.3 in the hope that I can get back to where I was before the failed installation.

After the re-installation, from the YaST instructions above, I got to step 2 but was unable to select Nvidia Graphics Driver in Step 3. I think the problem is that the “Window” is truncated - I saw part of the contents and didn’t get to see the whole window contents. The last line I was able to see was “Download repository description files” I couldn’t see the “OK” although the window was maximised. I can try the zypper options as a workaround but I am curious why this occurs when it was perfectly fine during the first installation.

Thanks for help!

In KDE/Plasma, you can also move a window by holding the Alt key and click-drag anywhere on the window.
That way you should be able to move it up and reach the thins at the bottom even if it’s too large to fit the screen.

Or run YaST in “text mode”, e.g. by typing “sudo yast” into konsole or xterm.

I can try the zypper options as a workaround but I am curious why this occurs when it was perfectly fine during the first installation.

Maybe you used “nomodeset” during installation, or are booting to “recovery mode”?
Or maybe there are remnants of the nvidia driver left, was this a completely fresh installation?

The only way to tell what happens (i.e. why the screen resolution is so low) is looking at the Xorg log, /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

In KDE/Plasma, you can also move a window by holding the Alt key and click-drag anywhere on the window.

Thanks Wolfi323, I am using GNOME btw…apologies for not informing upfront.

Maybe you used “nomodeset” during installation, or are booting to “recovery mode”?
Or maybe there are remnants of the nvidia driver left, was this a completely fresh installation?

I didn’t choose any special options during my first install ( I just want opensuse to be in a workable state where I can start other projects); afaik I am not in “recovery mode” I doubt that there are remnants of the nvidia driver left; the anaconda files in my previous install were gone; I chose to re partion the whole hard disk…unless this process is wrong:'(?

I am not able to view the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log…need to search for some other support. Should I just go ahead with zypper now?

My bad, I think the output for Xorg.0.log is as below:

5.769] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=3 (/dev/input/event13)
     5.769] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
     5.769] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.
     5.770] (II) config/udev: Adding input device HDA NVidia HDMI/DP,pcm=7 (/dev/input/event14)
     5.770] (II) No input driver specified, ignoring this device.
     5.770] (II) This device may have been added with another device file.

Well, depends on what you mean with repartition.
If you just resize partitions, the previous content should no be lost. If you create a new one, it’s empty of course.

That was just an idea for a possible reason though. If you install fresh twice with the same settings (and repartitioning doesn’t matter here), the result should be the same of course.
A too low resolution is definitely related to the graphics driver somehow.

I am not able to view the contents of /var/log/Xorg.0.log…need to search for some other support.

Yeah. GDM run Xorg as unprivileged user, so there cannot be a log in /var/log/ (which is only writable by root).
The log messages can be found systemd’s journal, but there’s also a file somewhere. Must be /var/lib/gdm/ or similar I think.

Should I just go ahead with zypper now?

Sure.

That’s just an excerpt though; and only about input devices, so irrelevant here.

Thanks Wolfi, got it! looks quite nice now!