Thread: Dell XPA 15 9569: Gnome ALT + CTLR + F keys do nothing (no switch to console)

Default Dell XPA 15 9569: Gnome ALT + CTLR + F keys do nothing (no switch to console)

Hi,

after solving some problems i managed to install the current opensuse Tumbleweed snapshot on my new Dell XPS 15 laptop. I am using Gnome as GUI. But i noticed that i cannot switch to a console when using Gnome via pressing ALT + CNTRL + F1 or any other of the F keys.

Maybe this is related to the fact that the Fn keys have a second function when pressing or locking the Fn key/mode, also there is a BIOS option to reverse the Fn-mode. But i tested all options an nothing works.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Dell XPA 15 9569: Gnome ALT + CTLR + F keys do nothing (no switch to console)

Hi
    Maybe the dell_wmi module isn't running?
    Code:
    lsmod |grep dell
    Do the brightness etc keys work?
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Default Re: Dell XPA 15 9569: Gnome ALT + CTLR + F keys do nothing (no switch to console)

I did not tested the brightness keys but the volume controls and mute where working. And before login switching via ALT + CNTRL + Fn works also. Jest when logged into gnome it is not working anymore! It is not even working with a pluged in a full size external usb keyboard!

The problem is still there but i noticed that after a reinstall the keys work, but after a reboot they do not work anymore. Maybe this changes every reboot?
    I also noticed that the right click is also not working, maybe this is related?

Anyway, this is the output of lsmod | grep dell

Code:
    dell_wmi               16384  0
    dell_laptop            24576  0
    dell_smbios_wmi        16384  0
    dell_smbios_smm        16384  0
    dell_smbios            16384  4 dell_wmi,dell_laptop,dell_smbios_wmi,dell_smbios_smm
    dcdbas                 16384  1 dell_smbios_smm
    rfkill                 28672  9 bluetooth,dell_laptop,cfg80211
    dell_smm_hwmon         16384  0
    dell_wmi_descriptor    16384  2 dell_wmi,dell_smbios_wmi
    sparse_keymap          16384  2 dell_wmi,intel_hid
    wmi                    28672  7 dell_wmi,wmi_bmof,intel_wmi_thunderbolt,dell_wmi_descriptor,mxm_wmi,nouveau,dell_smbios_wmi
    video                  45056  4 dell_wmi,dell_laptop,nouveau,i915

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sabo007 View Post
    The problem is still there but i noticed that after a reinstall the keys work, but after a reboot they do not work anymore. Maybe this changes every reboot?
    I also noticed that the right click is also not working, maybe this is related?

Anyway, this is the output of lsmod | grep dell

Code:
    dell_wmi               16384  0
    dell_laptop            24576  0
    dell_smbios_wmi        16384  0
    dell_smbios_smm        16384  0
    dell_smbios            16384  4 dell_wmi,dell_laptop,dell_smbios_wmi,dell_smbios_smm
    dcdbas                 16384  1 dell_smbios_smm
    rfkill                 28672  9 bluetooth,dell_laptop,cfg80211
    dell_smm_hwmon         16384  0
    dell_wmi_descriptor    16384  2 dell_wmi,dell_smbios_wmi
    sparse_keymap          16384  2 dell_wmi,intel_hid
    wmi                    28672  7 dell_wmi,wmi_bmof,intel_wmi_thunderbolt,dell_wmi_descriptor,mxm_wmi,nouveau,dell_smbios_wmi
    video                  45056  4 dell_wmi,dell_laptop,nouveau,i915
    Hi
    I would guess it's somehow related to the dual graphics setup... worthy of a bug report...
    openSUSE:Submitting bug reports - openSUSE
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Could be, currently it works again, i just removed the "nomodeset" kernel parameter (but kept "nouveau.modeset=0") maybe that was the solution. I will see what happens the next reboots, because right after installation the keys worked too, but "nomodeset" was used also.