Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: and Tumbleweed: How can one install VirtualBox Guest Additions?

Cool and Tumbleweed: How can one install VirtualBox Guest Additions?

I have been using VirtualBox 5.0.20 in openSuSE 13.2 for a while. Now I'm trying to update to Leap 42.3, and find it broken. VirtualBox 5.1.32 imports the package virtualbox-5.1.32-42.1.x86_64 without error and appears to run correctly, but trying to import "virtualbox-guest-tools" fails because it requires virtualbox-guest-kmp-default-5.1.32_k4.4.104_39-42.1, which has unresolved references. I installed Tumbleweed in a separate partition but it has the same versions of VirtualBox and fails for the same reason.

I went to virtualbox.org and learned that the current version is 5.2.8, which is well advanced from 5.1.32. They have rpm files for "openSUSE 13.2 ("Harlequin") / Leap 42.1 ("Malachite")" and "All distributions (built on EL5 and therefore do not require recent system libraries)." I downloaded both.

Judging from the facts that Oracle stopped at 5.1.32 and VirtualBox stopped at Leap 42.1, I'm guessing that there has been a "falling out" between the two organizations. I am willing to make a move to KVM or Xen, but I have a significant number of VBox VMs running in another computer, and I'd rather not leave VBox cold turkey. What do you recommend for getting VBox running in (preferably) 42.3 or T'weed?

Some years ago, I fixed a memory leak in a software package by uninstalling it, and installing an rpm in its place, after which the updater continued to try to "update" the package, long before the patch made it into the repositories. If you can point me at documentation for dealing with such issues, I would appreciate it.

Please be very explicit in how and what to install. I have just spent several hours in YaST Software Management, man rpm and man zypper. I am unable to figure out how to examine the contents of the rpm files without rpm or zypper insisting on looking in repositories before looking in the rpm file. All it will tell me about the file is "file <path and filename> is not owned by any package."
    Last edited by docduke; 15-Mar-2018 at 20:49. Reason: Both Leap 42.3 and Tumbleweed. 42.3 -> smiley

Blog Entries

Default Re: and Tumbleweed: How can one install VirtualBox Guest Additions?

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about re. Tumbleweed. See:
    Code:
    :~> rpm -qa | grep -i virtualboxvirtualbox-qt-5.2.8-1.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-5.2.8-1.1.x86_64
    virtualbox-host-source-5.2.8-1.1.noarch
    virtualbox-host-kmp-default-5.2.8_k4.15.8_1-1.1.x86_64
    Furthermore, is your user a member of the vboxusers group?

I currently have no acces to a couple of Leap 42.3 boxes with Vbox running, but I'm sure I would have heard the users if their guest-additions wouldn't work. Please show output of the services status, between CODE tags, the # in the layout ribbon
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Default Re: Leap 42.3 and Tumbleweed: How can one install VirtualBox Guest Additions?

Thanks very much for the quick response!

Here's exactly what I'm trying to do. Then I'll respond to your request:
    I'm in YaST Software Management. I've installed virtualbox. Now, I click on the box next to virtualbox-guest-tools. I get a popup window that begins "virtualbox-guest-tools-5.1.32-42.1.x86_64 requires virtualbox-guest-kmp = 5.1.32, but this requirement cannot be provided / uninstallable providers: virtualbox-guest-kmp-default-5.1.32_k4.4.104_39-42.1.x86_64[repo-update] Conflict Resolution:
    The three choices for resolution are uninstall the host, do not insstall the guest, or install it and ignore dependencies.

Running rpm -qa | grep -i virtualboxvirtualbox-qt-5.2.8-1.1.x86_64
    gets no response, since you're working with 5.2.8 and the openSuSE repositories have 5.1.32-42.1.
    Running rpm -qa | grep -i virtualboxvirtualbox-qt-5.1.32-42.1.x86_64
    also gets no response.
    Running rpm -qa | grep -i virtualbox-qt-5.1.32-42.1.x86_64
    gets: virtualbox-qt-5.1.32-42.1.x86_64 in red.

I did a fresh install of Leap 42.3, so I'm using the standard openSuSE leap 42.3 repositories. I suspect you are using a different repository, since your version of virtualbox is the current one at virtualbox.org.

Based on my conjecture about your repositories, I looked around and found
    http://download.opensuse.org/reposit...USE_Leap_42.3/
    Adding that repository, I was able to install virtualbox 5.2.8-384.5. One dependency is *host-kmp* which is version 5.2.8_k4.4.114_42-384.5. That is accepted without complaint, but when I try to select virtualbox-guest-tools, I get the same error message as above, adjusting for the different VBox version number.

Why do you want to install the guest additions on the host?
    You need to install them in the guest. If your guest is openSUSE, they should get installed automatically though.

I use VirtualBox in TW using the openSUSE repository. The installed packages are: virtualbox, virtualbox-host-kmp-default, virtualbox-host-source, virtualbox-qt.

If you want to install guest additions to be able to utilize usb 2 or 3, you go to the virtualbox.org site, download the guest additions and chose to open it with virtualbox.

To install the guest additions in a windows client, you just select it from the menu as normal and it will look after the rest. To install it in a linux client, google should find the procedure for your flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by doscott View Post
    If you want to install guest additions to be able to utilize usb 2 or 3, you go to the virtualbox.org site, download the guest additions and chose to open it with virtualbox.
    No.
    To use USB 2 or 3, you need to download and install the "Extension Pack" (from virtualbox.org, it's not available in openSUSE because it's proprietary/closed-source and may not be distributed by 3rd parties), not the guest additions..
    Last edited by wolfi323; 16-Mar-2018 at 06:10.

My mistake. Went by memory, should have reviewed the site again.

Blog Entries

Clarifying and summarizing the bits and pieces in each post of this thread...

Virtualbox Extensions are a desirable feature to install <on the HostOS>. If you're not prompted to install, you go to the Oracle Virtualbox site and click on the links to download and install.

Virtualbox Guest Additions are a desirable feature to install <in the Guest>. If you install an openSUSE OS as a Guest, then an Additions version will be automatically installed <during installation>. If you install any other GuestOS or do a P2V, you'll probably have to install. Guest Additions should always be made available as part of the main Virtualbox install so that the Additions version matches the overall VBox version. To manually install, do the following...

- Install the C development tools in your Guest, which includes the gnu C compiler, make and kernel headers. In openSUSE, the following command installs these requirements(Assumes you are running the Default kernel)
    Code:
    zypper in gcc make kernel-devel kernel-default-devel
    - If the GuestOS is openSUSE, uninstall the already installed Guest Additions from openSUSE.

- "Remove" any mounted CDROM image in the Guest Settings > Storage
    I've found that recently this is required, in the old days the old image would be automatically unmounted so a new image can be mounted but not today.

- In the Guest Graphical Console (Window), in the menubar Devices > Insert Guest Additions CD Image"

- Within the GuestOS, open a graphical File Manager or a terminal to the mounted CD location which will vary depending on the GuestOS. If this is an openSUSE Guest, then the location is the following where <user> is your logged in User account name
    Code:
    /run/media/<user>/VBox_GAs_*/
    -

- Execute the VBoxLinuxAdditions.run file
    Watch the output carefully for any errors which might need to be resolved, but in most cases the installation will complete successfully without further action.

-Activate the newly installed Guest Additions by either logging out and back again or simply rebooting. I generally test whether Guest Additions are working properly by going Full Screen or DragNDrop between the GuestOS and HostOS (both require a supported Window Manager and the latter proper Guest Settings).

HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

I love this community. I really appreciate the rapid, in-depth responses I receive when I have recalcitrant problems.

I have many years (since SuSE 4.1!) with SuSE. In the last decade, I have been running specialized applications and unstable test systems in Windows and Linux VM systems inside Windows VirtualBox. I wish to switch from a Windows host to a Linux host. The guests will include Windows 2000 and later, SuSE, Debian, PureOS, Android emulators and TurnKey Linux VMs.

Here is why I like guest tools: 1. seamless movement of the mouse and keyboard among host and guests. 2. clipboard copy and paste among host and guests. 3. Drag and Drop files among host and guests. KVM and/or Xen may also do such things, but I don't know enough about them to determine that. Primarily, I have more than 5 years of VMs that I can move from one computer to another without having to change any drivers. That should be a benefit of any VM host.

Re wolfi323 1. Why do you want to install the guest additions on the host? The last time I tried a SuSE host, the Guest Additions were provided by an ISO image supplied by the host. In the case of a Linux guest, that involved recompiling the kernel. If that has changed, I missed the transition. Please bear in mind that most of my VM OSs will not be SuSE. What is the better way to do this?
    2. To use USB 2 or 3, you need to download and install the "Extension Pack"... When I installed VirtualBox through YaST, I got a popup telling me that I needed to "opt out" to avoid getting the USB tools installed. The Extension Pack still has a more restrictive license, but somehow it appears to be included by default during an install, though I have to confirm acceptance of it.

Re doscott 1. The installed packages are... The issue is with two having an anomalous version number. virtualbox-host-kmp-default-5.1.32_k4.4.104_39-42.1.x86_64 and virtualbox-guest-kmp-default-5.1.32_k4.4.104_39-42.1.x86_64 clearly have an unusual history, called out by the string "_k4.4.104_39" embedded in the version ID. The *host-kmp* package is imported without problems. The *guest-kmp* cannot be imported into the host. Perhaps its broken dependencies are resolved when it is in the guest within a kernel-compile environment.
    2. Your comment was helpful. Wolfi was unnecessarily harsh in his response, and may even be wrong, based on the popup message I received when installing virtualbox.

Re tsu2: Thank you very much for your detailed response! It will take me at least several days to fully absorb your comments and suggestions. Since I didn't find VBoxGuestAdditions.iso, I was expecting YaST Software Management to make it, or something equivalent, available when I tried to install virtualbox-guest-tools. I have done the guest kernel compile before, but it was initiated by loading the ISO, and it seemed to be very adaptable to different Linux distros. Now I don't see that ISO for download either at SuSE or at virtualbox.org.

I finally managed to look inside the SuSE RPM file I downloaded from virtualbox.org. The incantation "rpm -ql -p ./*rpm | grep -i Additions" let me find /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso within the many files of the RPM. A "find" search for that file name failed to turn it up anywhere in the Leap 42.3 file structure.

Thanks again for your many helpful comments. I will be working through the suggestions in this thread for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast