Thread: new one user

Default new one user

Hi,
    I have install open suse leap 42 KDE with succèss but I need a package "xscreensaver" it's not in the menu? Impossible to open it ! I have installed it with yast I see this package are OK but ...I don't have OK for xscreensaver are open ? many thanks for your answer

Default Re: new one user

Hello and welcome here.

As a screensaver is mostly used in a GUI interface, pleas tell us which desktop environment you use. KDE, Gnome, .....?
    Henk van Velden

Yes, it doesn't show up in the application menu in KDE/Plasma, GNOME, or MATE, if that's what you mean.

Try typing "xscreensaver-demo" into an xterm (or konsole, gnome-terminal, whatever other terminal emulator you may have installed).

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Yes, it doesn't show up in the application menu in KDE/Plasma, GNOME, or MATE, if that's what you mean.

Try typing "xscreensaver-demo" into an xterm (or konsole, gnome-terminal, whatever other terminal emulator you may have installed).

Yes, thank you gays, I have since few year ago KDE for use it and when I have xscreensaver it's not with trouble ? Ok I try with xscreensaver-demo in my teminal "guake" many thanks...
    But I have also a big trouble??? Sorry It's necessary for me to open with dolphin or thunar for modify the grub/grub.cfg because it's absolutly necessary to change this "initrid /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs.-4.14-x86_64.img" for an other OS installed on my PC honnestly I don't have the possibility to open terminal for dolphin or thunar, here is the trouble shooting :
    HTML Code:
    linux-91rn:/home/jibel # thunar
    Thunar: Cannot open display: 
    linux-91rn:/home/jibel # dolphin
    QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display
    Sorry for my surprise?? Many thanks if you tell me how I need to open it ?? Whaou ! see u soon

BTW, this thread about an Application is posted in the Forums Feedback > How to use the forums?

It will be moved to Applications and is CLOSED for the moment.
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by jibel View Post
    Hi,
    I have install open suse leap 42 KDE with succèss but I need a package "xscreensaver" it's not in the menu? Impossible to open it ! I have installed it with yast I see this package are OK but ...I don't have OK for xscreensaver are open ? many thanks for your answer
    Moved from How to use the forums and open again.
    Henk van Velden

Default AW: new one user

You can not open many Prgramms as root.
    f.e.:

Code:
    linux64:/home/ich # dolphin 
    QStandardPaths: wrong ownership on runtime directory /run/user/1000, 1000 instead of 0
    "Session bus not found\nTo circumvent this problem try the following command (with Linux and bash)\nexport $(dbus-launch)"
    linux64:/home/ich #
    But you can do it with kdesu, gnomesu, xdg-su as User:
    Code:
    ich@linux64:~> kdesu dolphin
    Last edited by Sauerland; 13-Mar-2018 at 11:21.

Ok I have a big problem, again when I try to use terminal with kdesu dolphin or thunar...It's not possible ! Give me the reason why ?? many thanks
    here is the terminal answer :
    linux-91rn:/home/jibel # kdesu thunar
    Aborted
    linux-91rn:/home/jibel # thunar
    Thunar: Cannot open display:
    linux-91rn:/home/jibel # dolphin
    Aborted (core dumped)
    Can you explain where come from this trouble ?? many thanks again..I need absolutely for make a modify option ! I hope I'm at the right position for a answer ? or not ?

Default AW: new one user

linux-91rn:/home/jibel # kdesu thunar
    You try as root to open kdesu.
    I have written:
    But you can do it with kdesu, gnomesu, xdg-su as User:
    Do you switch in the Terminal to root or do you login as root into your Desktop.
    Last is not recommended.

Default Re: AW: new one user

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    You try as root to open kdesu.
    I have written:

Do you switch in the Terminal to root or do you login as root into your Desktop.
    Last is not recommended.
    I try and It's OK to go to grub/grub.cfg for correction it ... Many thanks ..I think it's necessary to change the thread because that not correct for a new one my self, I go back on open-suse leap for another correction...I'm in studio-ubuntu now ; many thanks again, see u soon