Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iBus panel missing in system tray, no kimpanel addon either

Question iBus panel missing in system tray, no kimpanel addon either

I recently upgraded two machines to Tumbleweed from Leap 42.2 (both KDE) and on both iBus panel went missing. Ibus daemon itself works, ibus-setup works, language switch can be configured and also works, but there's no switching icon in systray, which confuses everyone else who uses these computers.

Issues with missing iBus panel have been brought up several years ago in various places, including this forum, and from that I gathered that it's the "ibus-ui-gtk3" that shows it. For some people manually specifying it when starting iBus worked but otherwise people are advised to use "kimpanel-ibus-panel" instead. Some users were told to uninstall kimpanel, though.

In any case, starting ibus with ibus-ui-gtk3 doesn't show it in my systray (no errors reported in terminal either) and I don't think I have kimpanel at all. Arch Wiki say this on iBus:

IBus main interface is currently only available in GTK+, but Kimpanel provides a native Qt/KDE input interface. Kimpanel is bundled with Plasma 5, but IBus needs to be launched as following to be able to communicate with the panel

$ ibus-daemon --panel=/usr/lib/kimpanel-ibus-panel
    I don't have this package in either /usr/lib/ or /usr/lib64/ or anywhere else. "Software management" doesn't show any results either. I don't know if I had it on Leap, maybe it got lost with upgrade to newer Plasma.

Currently, I have KDE 5.12.3.

Default Re: iBus panel missing in system tray, no kimpanel addon either

Plasma comes with its own kimpanel "addon" (that should support ibus too) included, there is no separate package anymore.
    Maybe it's disabled on your system for some reason...
    Right-click on some empty space in the system tray (preferably the up-arrow that shows hidden entries), choose "System Tray Settings" and see if you can activate it there.

Or, you can also add it somewhere else on the panel or the desktop by using "Add Widget...".

The ibus daemon should be started automatically on login if installed though.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 13-Mar-2018 at 01:41.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Or, you can also add it somewhere else on the panel or the desktop by using "Add Widget...".
    Ah, that's it - but not on the desktop, it's "Add Widget" in "Panel settings" and it's called "Input methods panel". When it's added to the panel itself it shows an icon with ibus options.

Thanks.

I guess this thread can be marked as closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_Ice View Post
    Ah, that's it - but not on the desktop, it's "Add Widget" in "Panel settings" and it's called "Input methods panel".
    But you should be able to add it to the desktop as well, just like any other Plasmoid.

And it should also be present in the "System Tray Settings", the system tray is where it actually is shown by default normally.

Somehow when I tried it first it gave me an empty panel with the ability to add languages and did not show running ibus options. When I added languages to that new panel it interfered with ibus selections and the result was horrible. I got similar effects when adding keyboard layouts from KDE Settings panel and gave up on it.

Now, however, adding that widget to desktop works the same as adding it to the panel (it's not in System Tray per se) and this new working ibus switch sits on the desktop, which isn't what I want or what people expect.

Now, however, adding that widget to desktop works the same as adding it to the panel (it's not in System Tray per se) and this new working ibus switch sits on the desktop, which isn't what I want or what people expect.
    That was just informational. You *can* add it to the desktop if you want, I didn't say you should do that.

But again, the default place is the system tray (not the panel), and actually it should be there by default (unless you explicitly disabled it in the past, again see he "System Tray Settings").
    As it is the very same widget, it should also work the same, regardless where you place it.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 13-Mar-2018 at 02:39.

It is still not in System Tray but sits as a separate widget in the panel. Clipboard, for example, can be added as a widget and it can be enabled from System Tray settings as well, but not ibus or any other input selection method. At least not for me.

It is still not in System Tray but sits as a separate widget in the panel.
    Sure.
    If you add it to the panel, it will be in the panel, not in the System Tray.

Clipboard, for example, can be added as a widget and it can be enabled from System Tray settings as well, but not ibus or any other input selection method. At least not for me.
    It's called "Input methods panel" as you wrote, not "ibus" or "any other input selection method"...
    But indeed, it's "missing" here too.

I thought it should be there.
    I know that people complained about it automatically appearing when libreoffice-kde4 was dropped in Tumbleweed (libreoffice-gnome was installed instead then, which also pulled in ibus).
    Maybe a bug that should be reported at bugs.kde.org...

I don't use ibus myself (I have even tabooed it to not getting it installed), nor any other input methods.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 13-Mar-2018 at 03:21.

After one of the recent updates ibus/input method panel got broken again - it's just blank space on the panel, right-click on it gives "settings" option which presents a standard KDE window with no actual options besides "vertical list" and "default font" radio buttons. Adding this widget to desktop also creates a blank square with nothing in it and the same right click behavior.

Ibus itself keeps working, keyboard shortcuts switch languages and a switching window shows up in the middle of the screen.

Ibus read-config tells me this:

Code:
    stan@linux-pwfe:~> ibus read-config   

(process:16853): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 10:49:24.458: Settings schema 'org.freedesktop.ibus.general.pa
    nel' is not installed

Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)
    stan@linux-pwfe:~> 

Where do these schemas come from? Bundled with KDE? Is it possible to add/install it manually?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast