Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with .rar archives and packages unrar and unar

Default Problem with .rar archives and packages unrar and unar

I'm experiencing some problems with .rar archives, apparently Ark is unable to handle them.

I checked, and see that the `unrar` archive was missing, I installed it but this uninstalled `unar`. Now I can manage .rar archives again.

The problem is that whenever I try to update my system, `unar' tries to get installed again, and, for what I understand, this package is meant to substitute `unrar`, making the latter obsolete and `unrar` is marked for uninstallation. Fine with that, if `unar` was capable to correctly handle .rar files, but it isn't.

Is this a bug with `unar`? Is Ark meant to work with `unrar` but not with `unar`? Is there some other reason?

Can I safely add a lock to `unar` to prevent it from getting installed, or is it required by some other packages?

The real problem here is that the default installed packages prevent the correct and expected functionality of (part of ) the system, and to make it work again one has to manually switch packages.

Default Re: Problem with .rar archives and packages unrar and unar

Quote Originally Posted by sekhemty View Post
    Is this a bug with `unar`? Is Ark meant to work with `unrar` but not with `unar`? Is there some other reason?
    See http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1083834

Can I safely add a lock to `unar` to prevent it from getting installed, or is it required by some other packages?
    I should be possible, yes.

If it is required by some other packages, zypper will complain anyway.
    FTR, I don't have unar installed here on my Leap 42.3 system.

Another workaround would probably be to disable the unrar plugin in Ark's settings (it should use unar directly then).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 09-Mar-2018 at 03:59.

Although they do not integrate with Ark, both “unar” and “rar” (from Packman) can unpack rar archives from the command line. Use “unar -h” and “rar ?” for usage -- “rar” has no man page.
    ~Thank you for sharing an interesting problem.
    --
    slàinte mhath,
    rayH

Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post
    Although they do not integrate with Ark
    Well, actually unar does integrate with Ark, Ark has a plugin for that.

But it prefers unrar if that's found.
    And unar comes with a wrapper script named "unrar", which doesn't work with ark. (apparently its output is different than the one from the real unrar, so Ark doesn't understand it)

Disabling the RAR plugin in Ark should make it use unar instead, as I wrote.

Although, that will make it impossible to *create* RAR archives with Ark I suppose (for which it would use rar).
    Last edited by wolfi323; 09-Mar-2018 at 06:21.

@wolfi

Thank you, I've disable the rar plugin from Ark and now I can correclty open and extract archives.

I'm not really interested in archiving with the RAR forma, I only use ZIP and 7Z, so this is solved for me.

Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by eng-int View Post
    Although they do not integrate with Ark, both “unar” and “rar” (from Packman) can unpack rar archives from the command line. Use “unar -h” and “rar ?” for usage -- “rar” has no man page.
    Well only theoretically. I was forced to uninstall unar and go back to unrar.

unar seems to be missing compatibility-wise and will not unpack all rar archives.

Quote Originally Posted by connormcl View Post
    unar seems to be missing compatibility-wise and will not unpack all rar archives.
    Please add this to https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1083834 (same username/password as here).

Thanks.

if I remember correctly unar uses reverse engineered code and can only handle rar 4 archives they don't support the new rar 5 format

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    if I remember correctly unar uses reverse engineered code and can only handle rar 4 archives they don't support the new rar 5 format
    Even more a reason to *not* forcably replace unrar with unar though...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Even more a reason to *not* forcably replace unrar with unar though...
    yes the only reason I can think off to replace unrar with uar is licensing, as unrar is licensed with the rar free license (not free as in free speech) while unar is GPL'ed (free as in free speech)
    on the user side it's better to keep unrar from the rar developer instead of a reverse engineered compatible library which afaik still didn't break the unrar license as it can't create rar files

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast