Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy from Btrfs snapshots

Default Copy from Btrfs snapshots

I run Dolphin file manager with root so it can access and browse the Btrfs snapshots contents and some files which are valueable to me, can I copy the files to some where directly with Dolphin's copy feature?

Default Re: Copy from Btrfs snapshots

Yes, of course. They are just files.

What's the use case? There is likely an easier way via command line / a script.

Quote Originally Posted by ravas View Post
    What's the use case? There is likely an easier way via command line / a script.
    OK, Well, if I enable Snapper for managing the snapshots right now, will the old snapshots created in /home/.snapshots/ get overwritten by the new one? That's what I'm worried. And what's the command line / a script doing the copy more easily?

Quote Originally Posted by bamlupot View Post
    if I enable Snapper for managing the snapshots right now, will the old snapshots created in /home/.snapshots/ get overwritten by the new one?
    Not sure I understand the question. Do you have snapper configuration for /home? If not, where snapshots under /home/.snapshots come from, how they were created? Show output of "snapper list-configs" and "btrfs su li /home".

Automatically created snapshots will be deleted based on certain logical conditions,
    associated with the cleanup algorithms.
    That happens via the daily cron job /etc/cron.daily/suse.de-snapper

Manually created snapshots will not be deleted unless you specify a cleanup algorithm.

Quote Originally Posted by ravas View Post
    Automatically created snapshots will be deleted based on certain logical conditions, associated with the cleanup algorithms. That happens via the daily cron job /etc/cron.daily/suse.de-snapper Manually created snapshots will not be deleted unless you specify a cleanup algorithm.
    My snapshots are taken some weeks ago, how to modify snapper configuration file before get snapper enabled?

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Not sure I understand the question. Do you have snapper configuration for /home? If not, where snapshots under /home/.snapshots come from, how they were created? Show output of "snapper list-configs" and "btrfs su li /home".
    snapper configuration for /home is disabled by default if SUSE get reinstalled, while /home is in another partition than /.

I've never tried it, but I guess you could remove the cleanup information from each snapshot's info.xml file.

If you are just interested in version control for a certain folder, you might consider using git.

Code:
    cd ~/Documents
    git init
    git status
    git add -A
    git commit -m "my first commit"
    # ...make some changes to a file...
    # check the changes:
    git status
    git diff
    # revert changes for a specific file:
    git checkout ~/Documents/changed_file.txt
    # revert all changes:
    git checkout .
    https://git-scm.com/docs

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Yes, of course. They are just files.
    I'm going to copy files to the volume which also containing the snapshot, but the free space of the volume is smaller than the files ready to be copied from snapshot, Does it not really 'copy' but just change some tiny data that makes the files displayed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast