Thread: RPM auto relocate directory

Default RPM auto relocate directory

Hello,

I create a RPM with "Prefix" in the spec file.
    When I install the RPM with the "--relocate" option, the files are good relocated .

I want relocate the files during the installation according to tests (ex: personal directory of a user, java home), but I did not find how to do it .
    I saw that there was an environment variable RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, but changing its value has no effect.

Can you tell me how to do.

Thanks,
    Fred

Default Re: RPM auto relocate directory

Quote Originally Posted by brachot View Post
    I saw that there was an environment variable RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX, but changing its value has no effect.
    It is set by RPM itself during installation for use in scriptlets.

Can you tell me how to do.
    Not sure I understand the question. You can call rpm with different values of --relocate or --prefix if you want to install it in different places. But you already know it. Please explain what you are trying to do.

I want to make an RPM that puts files in the personal directory of a service account.
    If the account does not exist, I do not have a pb because I create the account with for his home directory the default path.
    But if the account exits, I wish that the files present in my source goes in the directory of the existing account. And I would like to take into account the fact that his personal directory is not necessarily the default path.

I tried to change the variable RPM_INSTALL_PREFIX in the parts "% prep" and "% install" but that does not change anything.

Thanks for your help

You explained why you want to install in different locations. You did not explain why you cannot use "rpm --relocate" for it.

I wish it could be automatic and if I install the RPM through Yast I can not pass the --relocate parameter

I am not aware of possibility to control relocation (or any other rpm option for that matter) using environment variable. Nor is it necessary for your use case - just always install in standard location and use links/alternatives/bind mounts to point to it as needed.

OK, thank you for your return