Usb tumbleweed does not go past plymouth screen, any fix?

I can’t get to the GUI after waiting longer than 10 minutes. Anyone else have this issue?

You need to be a lot more specific than this.

When you boot off the device, do you get to a menu? Or does it not get anywhere.

If you get to that menu, do you then choose an item, such as Installation, and then … what happens?

Do you see the bars, or do you see just an image (what image?), or … ?

I get past grub. Then it loads the kernel and stars the Plymouth boot screen with the 3 animated dots. If I press Excape it says the following after awhile: Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55, got 0xffff and never gets any further.

I get past grub. Then it loads the kernel and stars the Plymouth boot screen with the 3 animated dots. If I press Excape it says the following after awhile: Invalid PCI ROM header signature: expecting 0xaa55, got 0xffff and never gets any further.

I am getting this:
Warning: dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts

It appears that message is not likely the cause of the problem:

There are a lot of hits in a web search and they seem to all say it is harmless, something to do with ATI, AMD, Radeon???

Warning: dracut-initqueue timeout - starting timeout scripts, is the issue, some of the commands are timing out. How do I go about saving the file to the usb disk so that I can upload it. I don’t have network support yet for my wifi adapter.

There are various options you can try in the installer. For example, try Safe Settings.

Thanks, I will try that.

Still doesn’t work on safe settings… Kernel issue?

… sorry, in a lot of pain tonight, having difficulty thinking.

You did run a checksum on your download before you copied it to USB, correct?

I think you probably know there is no point running the check media option on the USB itself, which will fail because it is on a USB instead of DVD.

Okay.

From my reference notes, backed up by a quick web search, this seems to indicate a problem with your USB device.

How did you create the USB installer?

rufus 2.18 default settings, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.

Btw. I have had this problem with two different iso versions.

[Imgur: The magic of the Internet

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ZIKWcWF.png](Imgur: The magic of the Internet)

Well, rufus is known to break openSUSE’s ISO images by trying to make them bootable. (they already are)

I have no experience myself with rufus, so cannot tell if that’s still true or what option you may have to change.

But I do know that this tool does work as intended:

That works, thank you.

Someone should note this in the wiki, it said nothing about rufus not working: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Create_a_Live_USB_stick_using_Windows#Create_bootable_USB_drive_with_Rufus

I would avoid this tool at least for the time being. Even after all this time, it seems that ImageUSB version 1.5.1 (the tool we get following your link) is only “experimental” with bootable ISOs, and indeed, booting from an USB key didn’t even go further than displaying “GRUB” and freeze…

Rufus has a “problem” because some live images, like openSUSE’s, have a very long label (“OpenSUSE_Tumbleweed_KDE_Live”) which must match when mounting the media. That’s really looking for trouble, because FAT32 has volume labels limited to 11 characters, which results in “OPENSUSE_TU”, and this is the default filesystem chosen by most Windows tools when they write an ISO.

The best would be for those live images to use short labels… but in the mean time, there are several options:

• use Rufus and specify ‘dd’ mode when creating the disk, instead of ‘iso’ (it asks the question after clicking on START, advising ‘iso’)
  • use rawrite32 (I haven’t tried, but read that as an accepted solution for the same problem)
  • use dd, for example if you have Cygwin (or if you’re writing from Linux), but it’s more tedious

I think the openSUSE Live deserve a better explanation page, check for example the similar page for CentOS which warns users about this problem: HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey

I know there was a version of Suse studio imagewriter but I don’t know if it is still working, it is worth trying https://github.com/downloads/openSUSE/kiwi/ImageWriter.exe

Erm, that is actually a new feature in 1.5.1.
From the release history:

Release 1.5.1000

WIN32 release 25 Oct 2019

-Support for extraction the contents of the ISO image.

EXPERIMENTAL - Software will try to detect if ISO image is bootable and if so write appropriate bootloader. As of release only booting through UEFI seems to be working. Tested with Windows 10 ISO, Linux (Porteus-5.0rc, Ubuntu-19.04 and Mint 19.2 ISO images). NOT ALL ISO IMAGES WILL WORK. This functionality is experimental and may be removed from software at any time.

Previous versions just did a raw copy like dd does, which did/does work.

Adding a bootloader to the already bootable image does of course break things, that’s the reason why this thread exists in the first place and I suggested this software… :wink:

Well, IIRC it doesn’t work on newer Windows versions according to some posts here in the forums.
I don’t remember when though, maybe Windows 7 or 8.