Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Encrypted disk btrfs and grub snapshot

Default Encrypted disk btrfs and grub snapshot

hi

is it possible with newer version of tumbleweed to use encrypted hd and be able to have access to snapshot with grub?

thanks
    www.laboiteaprog.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Encrypted disk btrfs and grub snapshot

Quote Originally Posted by collinm View Post
    hi

is it possible with newer version of tumbleweed to use encrypted hd and be able to have access to snapshot with grub?

thanks
    Yes, this has been possible for a while.

When installing, DO NOT use a separate "/boot". That way your "/boot" is part of the root partition, and encrypted.

You will need to install grub into the MBR on older computers. It will use the EFI partition on newer computers.

While booting, you will need to enter the encryption key twice -- the first time is for grub to access boot menus, and the second time is for the kernel to read the file system.

When I set that up, I used an encrypted LVM. However, I have since changed to "ext4" instead of "btrfs" (personal preference). I would still recommend an encrypted LVM with logical volumes for root, home, swap. However, the new partition should allow you to just encrypt root as a separate partition.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

EFI partition will be installed to the lvm?
    www.laboiteaprog.com

maybe a bug...

during installation

i click : guided setupt

enable logical volume management
    enable disk encryption

in filesystem options

settings for the root vlume is btrfs, enable snapshots

propos separate home vlume with xfs

suggested paritioning : no proposal possible
    www.laboiteaprog.com

Blog Entries

EFI partition will be installed to the lvm?
    No, the EFI partition has to be a separate unencrypted partition. It is normally shared by all systems. So if you have Windows installed, then the openSUSE install should use the existing EFI partition setup by Windows.

Blog Entries

i click : guided setupt

enable logical volume management
    enable disk encryption

in filesystem options

settings for the root vlume is btrfs, enable snapshots

propos separate home vlume with xfs

suggested paritioning : no proposal possible
    That should have worked, unless you don't have enough free disk space. Can you post the output from:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    If you don't have linux installed to run that, then boot from live media. If there is too much output, then just
    Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/sda
    would be fine, assuming that "/dev/sda" is the hard drive where you wish to install.

I did a similar install last week, except that I use "ext4" for the file system. And that work fine. This was into a virtual machine, with a 20G virtual hard drive. But 20G is a bit small for using "btrfs".

i have 1tb ssd...

during install with boot efi partition and lvm... yast create me a 500 meg partition for boot efi... and 65 gig for the rest...

if i delete 65gig and create a new one of .95tb (encrypted) when i go to : add volume group and pass available devices to selected devices... encryption is removed... seem like a bug
    www.laboiteaprog.com

Blog Entries

if i delete 65gig and create a new one of .95tb (encrypted) when i go to : add volume group and pass available devices to selected devices... encryption is removed... seem like a bug
    It did what you told it to do.

Instead of deleting the 65g partition, you could probably have resized it to the size that you want. And then you could probably resize the volumes inside to what you want.

It is also possible to do it the other way -- create a partition yourself for the volume group. But, at present, that's tricky because you might get an installed system that doesn't boot (the installer may fail to create "/etc/crypttab" when you do it that way).

If you want full details, ask.

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It did what you told it to do.

Instead of deleting the 65g partition, you could probably have resized it to the size that you want. And then you could probably resize the volumes inside to what you want.

It is also possible to do it the other way -- create a partition yourself for the volume group. But, at present, that's tricky because you might get an installed system that doesn't boot (the installer may fail to create "/etc/crypttab" when you do it that way).

If you want full details, ask.

tried to resize... but that say disk in use...

video of the issue
    https://youtu.be/SEUhFTncKwQ
    www.laboiteaprog.com

Blog Entries

Okay. So you will need to setup the LVM manually.

It looks as if you got part way there.

Since you are starting over, best to go to the expert partitioner at the beginning. Set it to use existing partitions and ignore the proposal.

Since you are doing it manually, you will need to first create the EFI partition. So just create /dev/sda1 at 500M. There should be a choice to use that as an EFI partition.

Next create /dev/sda2 for the size that you want, and set it to be encrypted. There should be an option to not format it (I think it is called "raw space"). But, if you can't find that, it doesn't hurt to format it (just wastes some cpu cycles).

Go to volume management. Click "Add" to create a new volume group (I think that's the only choice). You need to give the volume a name, such as "system" (but you can use a different name). And then you have to put your /dev/sda2 into that volume group.

Next you have to add logical volumes. So click "Add" again, and select "logical volume" (not sure if that's the wording). Give the logical volume a name (I suggest "root"), and set it to a suitable size. For "btrfs" make that at least 40G, though I would perhaps go with 80G). When it asks, say that this is for operating system. It should set the file system to "btrfs" (though you can change that).

Next, another logical volume. Call it "swap". I would set the size to twice your memory, though setting to just your memory size may be sufficient. Indicate that this is for swap.

And a third logical volume. Call it "home", and give it all of the remaining space. Indicate that it is for data, and set to mount at "/home" (that's probably the default).

Then click "accept" or "finish" or similar to go with that partitioning. And then proceed with the install.

I'm not sure what happens after that. I hope you finish up with a good working system. But it is possible that it won't boot. That is probably fixable.

I'll follow this with another reply on the what might go wrong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast