Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

  1. #1

    Default xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    Hi,

    using Gnome 3.26.2 I enabled Wayland session by installing gnome-session-wayland and xorg-x11-server-wayland.
    After logging in I noticed that my synaptics enabled touchpad wasn't working anymore the same way. I guess it went back to libinput instead. However in order to use circular scrolling I need xf86-input-synaptics (and gsynaptics to enable it).

    Is there a way to use the synaptics driver under Wayland?
    Thank you.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,399
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    Quote Originally Posted by SF6 View Post
    Hi,

    using Gnome 3.26.2 I enabled Wayland session by installing gnome-session-wayland and xorg-x11-server-wayland.
    After logging in I noticed that my synaptics enabled touchpad wasn't working anymore the same way. I guess it went back to libinput instead. However in order to use circular scrolling I need xf86-input-synaptics (and gsynaptics to enable it).

    Is there a way to use the synaptics driver under Wayland?
    Thank you.

    No, Wayland uses libinput exclusively AFAIU. In any case, evdev and synaptics have already been deprecated for recent X-server and desktop environments. Gnome depends on libinput now.

  3. #3

    Default Re: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    That's bad. I still depend on synaptics for circular scrolling which I cannot get to work with libinput
    Oh well, X11 it is then. I've opened a bug request in libinput (or rather a feature request?).

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,399
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    Quote Originally Posted by SF6 View Post
    I've opened a bug request in libinput (or rather a feature request?).
    Yeah, that's the best way forward.

  5. #5

    Default Re: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    Are you sure you use wayland?
    Code:
    echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

  6. #6

    Default Re: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    Yes, definitely.
    In X11 synaptics works fine, once I start a Wayland session it doesn't, probably afaik it goes back using libinput then, which doesn't support some features that synaptics does.

  7. #7

    Default Re: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    Well that's bad news:

    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105297

    Won't fix. Niche feature. Great, guess I have to stay on X11 forever moving forward.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,399
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    Quote Originally Posted by SF6 View Post
    Well that's bad news:

    https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105297

    Won't fix. Niche feature. Great, guess I have to stay on X11 forever moving forward.
    Well, at least you got a definitive answer. It's not a feature I've ever used (I do use edge scrolling), but I can understand why you'd be disappointed with that decision.

  9. #9

    Default Re: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    It's especially useful if you have a circular touchpad, which most Panasonic notebooks have:


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    20,399
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: xf86-input-synaptics + Wayland? (Gnome)

    Wow, I can’t remember the last time I saw a Panasonic laptop. Not common in NZ. I wasn’t aware of round touchpads either. I assumed a rectangular shape was best to reflect the shape of the display for practical cursor positioning.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •