Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

  1. #1

    Default nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Hi,
    e
    I perfomed a zypper dup today (from a November build) , after rebooting the GUI didn't load correctly (mouse cursor visible and movable but otherwise black screen). Since this is a fairly normal experience for me as an NVIDIA user I reboot using init 3 and uninstall nvidia-gfxG04 to revert to nouveau and reboot and everything works.

    I then instal nvidia-gfxG04 manually and watch the build error and notice it's running wild trying to build against old kernel versions for some reason and throwing warnings by the bucketload since the kernel symbols for those kernels have been removed. So I uninstall it again.

    Having been bemused by this I decide to see if the "Hard Way" using the NVIDIA installer works, so I download the latest NVIDIA installer (for the same version) reboot with init 3 and run it, and it works (the now usual need to stomp libglvnd excepted) and after a reboot it works normally.

    Can anyone provide me help on what's happening with nvidia-gfxG04 and possibly how to get it functioning again, the automatic updates are nice.

  2. #2

    Default Re: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalanyr View Post
    Can anyone provide me help on what's happening with nvidia-gfxG04 and possibly how to get it functioning again, the automatic updates are nice.
    Hard to guess, in principle it should work.

    What kernel packages do you have installed? Which kernel are you using?
    Code:
    rpm -qa | grep kernel
    uname -a
    What exact error messages do you get when installing nvidia-gfxG04?

    There is a known "problem", in that the kernel module is only compiled (successfully) for one kernel and therefore will only work with that kernel, even if several are installed.
    See https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg01086.html and https://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1082704
    Last edited by wolfi323; 26-Feb-2018 at 01:09.

  3. #3

    Default Re: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Sorry for the delayed response, I got caught up in other stuff;
    kalanyr@linux-npzk:~> rpm -qa | grep kernel
    kernel-default-4.15.5-1.2.x86_64
    kernel-devel-4.13.11-1.2.noarch
    kernel-default-devel-4.13.11-1.2.x86_64
    kernel-default-devel-4.15.5-1.2.x86_64
    kernel-source-4.13.11-1.2.noarch
    kernel-source-4.15.5-1.2.noarch
    kernel-syms-4.15.5-1.2.x86_64
    kernel-macros-4.15.5-1.2.noarch
    kernel-default-4.13.11-1.2.x86_6
    kernel-devel-4.15.5-1.2.noarch
    kernel-firmware-20180201-1.1.noarch
    kalanyr@linux-npzk:~> uname -a
    Linux linux-npzk 4.15.5-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Feb 22 21:48:29 UTC 2018 (52ce732) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

    You can find my zypper log since I changed over to using to using nvidia-gfxG04 here (it was working until the February update. I recommend searching for 'nvidia-gfx ' for the relevant stuff).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mckso9gon3...tract.txt?dl=0

  4. #4

    Default Re: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalanyr View Post
    You can find my zypper log since I changed over to using to using nvidia-gfxG04 here (it was working until the February update. I recommend searching for 'nvidia-gfx ' for the relevant stuff).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mckso9gon3...tract.txt?dl=0
    I don't see a problem in there on a quick glance.

    So, is it working now?
    There was a general (permission-related) problem with the rpm packages, should be fixed since a while though (actually at the time when you started this thread already).

    You need to update to the latest nvidia packages though.

    If it's still not working, please provide more details, at least the Xorg log.

    Btw, you can ignore the "errors" for the older kernel version...
    And the "bug" I mentioned (which didn't cause a problem for the latest kernel IIRC) should be fixed meanwhile anyway.

    The list of the packages look fine, although outdated. The current Tumbleweed kernel is 4.15.7...
    Last edited by wolfi323; 13-Mar-2018 at 06:50.

  5. #5

    Default Re: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Okay, I removed the old kernels, uninstalled the manual NVIDIA drivers, reinstalled the vendor neutral libary, then reinstalled nvidia-gfxG04 as part of zypper dup. There's definitely something still broken, it took way too long to build and there's errors in the zypper log but I can't make heads or tails of them.

    Zypper log extract from doing this can be found here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1cwknx23k...March.txt?dl=0

  6. #6

    Default Re: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I don't see a problem in there on a quick glance.

    So, is it working now?
    There was a general (permission-related) problem with the rpm packages, should be fixed since a while though (actually at the time when you started this thread already).

    You need to update to the latest nvidia packages though.

    If it's still not working, please provide more details, at least the Xorg log.

    Btw, you can ignore the "errors" for the older kernel version...
    And the "bug" I mentioned (which didn't cause a problem for the latest kernel IIRC) should be fixed meanwhile anyway.

    The list of the packages look fine, although outdated. The current Tumbleweed kernel is 4.15.7...
    Woops, sorry , you posted in between me refreshing and posing, all my x0rg logs (that I can find) can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c6qtsjlmx...p0HAwNiLa?dl=0

    While I think of it:
    kalanyr@linux-npzk:~> rpm -qa | grep kernel
    kernel-default-4.15.5-1.2.x86_64
    kernel-devel-4.15.7-1.7.noarch
    kernel-source-4.15.7-1.7.noarch
    kernel-default-devel-4.15.5-1.2.x86_64
    kernel-default-4.15.7-1.7.x86_64
    kernel-source-4.15.5-1.2.noarch
    kernel-macros-4.15.7-1.7.noarch
    kernel-syms-4.15.5-1.2.x86_64
    kernel-syms-4.15.7-1.7.x86_64
    kernel-devel-4.15.5-1.2.noarch
    kernel-default-devel-4.15.7-1.7.x86_64
    kernel-firmware-20180201-1.1.noarch
    kalanyr@linux-npzk:~> kalanyr@linux-npzk:~> uname -a
    kalanyr@linux-npzk:~: command not found
    kalanyr@linux-npzk:~> uname -a
    Linux linux-npzk 4.15.7-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Feb 28 12:40:23 UTC 2018 (a36e160) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    kalanyr@linux-npzk:~>

  7. #7

    Default Re: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalanyr View Post
    There's definitely something still broken, it took way too long to build and there's errors in the zypper log but I can't make heads or tails of them.
    Sure it takes longer because the rpm packages recreate the initrd as well on installation.
    That doesn't indicate that something is broken.

    You probably refer to lines like this with "errors", right?
    Code:
    depmod: ERROR: fstatat(5, nvidia-drm.ko): No such file or directory
    Might be caused by dangling symlinks, not necessarily a problem either though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalanyr View Post
    Woops, sorry , you posted in between me refreshing and posing, all my x0rg logs (that I can find) can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c6qtsjlmx...p0HAwNiLa?dl=0
    Well, Xorg.log.0 shows that the nvidia driver is not installed, you probably uninstalled it again...
    Xorg.0.log.old (likely from the previous boot) does show that the nvidia driver is loaded and used, and also nvidia's GLX module. I see no indication of a problem in there.

    So what exactly doesn't work? How exactly is it "broken"?
    What problems do you have if the driver rpms are installed?

  8. #8

    Default Re: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Sure it takes longer because the rpm packages recreate the initrd as well on installation.
    That doesn't indicate that something is broken.

    You probably refer to lines like this with "errors", right?
    Code:
    depmod: ERROR: fstatat(5, nvidia-drm.ko): No such file or directory
    Might be caused by dangling symlinks, not necessarily a problem either though.


    Well, Xorg.log.0 shows that the nvidia driver is not installed, you probably uninstalled it again...
    Xorg.0.log.old (likely from the previous boot) does show that the nvidia driver is loaded and used, and also nvidia's GLX module. I see no indication of a problem in there.

    So what exactly doesn't work? How exactly is it "broken"?
    What problems do you have if the driver rpms are installed?
    I have other packages that also need to recreate initrd, the nvidia build is taking longer than those as well (noticeably so). Though you're right it's not necessarily indicative of a problem, it may just take an unusual amount of time to build the package but I don't remember it taking that long previously.

    And yeah, I had to uninstall it, to get a GUI (init 3 works of course) , the problem is that when the GUI should load, it only works partially: the mouse cursor appears on a black screen but the rest of the login screen does not appear. The GUI works fine if I use nouveau instead and the driver from NVIDIA works too. To be clear the system is still responsive though: mouse cursor moves properly and pressing the power key causes a normal shutdown from the black screen (though I get a grey screen for a bit in the process that I suspect is supposed to be a GUI shutdown screen).

  9. #9

    Default Re: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalanyr View Post
    And yeah, I had to uninstall it, to get a GUI (init 3 works of course) , the problem is that when the GUI should load, it only works partially: the mouse cursor appears on a black screen but the rest of the login screen does not appear.
    I suppose you use SDDM as login manager (and KDE Plasma as desktop), is that correct?

    Try adding your user and the user "sddm" to the "video" group then.
    It might still be a permission problem...

    You could also try to run "glxinfo" as user and post the output.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 13-Mar-2018 at 08:32.

  10. #10

    Default Re: nvidia-gfxG04 from Zypper broken

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    I suppose you use SDDM as login manager (and KDE Plasma as desktop), is that correct?

    Try adding your user and the user "sddm" to the "video" group then.
    It might still be a permission problem...

    You could also try to run "glxinfo" as user and post the output.
    Hi, apologies for the slow responses.

    I tried adding those to users to video and it doesn't do anything.

    I tried glxinfo and it's not installed. I did a zypper se for glxinfo and it didn't return anything either. I tried a google search and all I got was a few things about it having been removed from MESA/X a few years ago. Could you point me at the current place to get it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •