Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another question about Nvidia

Default Another question about Nvidia

Hello,
    I would like to install Tumbleweed on my PC. Now I have it on a VM.
    My problem is it with nvidia driver. I want to install it "the hard way".
    Now I have Fedora and I install nvidia without problems:
    https://www.if-not-true-then-false.c...-nvidia-guide/
    My question is: if I install nvidia "the hard way", is it necessary whenever I update the kernel, 1. to remove nvidia and install it again 2. to install nvidia again or 3. I can install dkms (like in the link above)?
    Thank you very much.
    P.S. Sorry for my English

Default Re: Another question about Nvidia

You don't need to uninstall but you do reinstall the hard way on any kernel or X stack update

Thank you for the answer.
    So, the "dkms" procedure do not apply to opensuse.
    And, if I use "the hard way", I think there will not be problems like the ones I read on forum with the Tumbleweed nvidia repository.

Quote Originally Posted by another_roadrunner View Post
    So, the "dkms" procedure do not apply to opensuse.
    Sure you can use dkms to automatically recompile the kernel module on openSUSE as well.

Actually I think you'd just need to install (and enable) it before installing the nvidia driver, and the installer should detect it and register the module.

It's not included in the distribution, but is available from Packman e.g.

Without it, you do need to reinstall the driver (or at least recompile the kernel module) manually after every kernel update as mentioned.

And, if I use "the hard way", I think there will not be problems like the ones I read on forum with the Tumbleweed nvidia repository.
    Problems specific to the rpm packages are rather rare though.

OTOH, if the nvidia driver doesn't work with the latest kernel e.g. (which easily can happen in Tumbleweed), it won't work either if you install it "the hard way".
    In that case you'd need to patch it manually, while a patch may be added to the rpm packages for you by the maintainers...

And if the driver itself is "broken", the way it is installed doesn't matter either. It's the same binary blob after all.

dkms works for easy way Not sure that it can be setup reliably for hardway

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    OTOH, if the nvidia driver doesn't work with the latest kernel e.g. (which easily can happen in Tumbleweed), it won't work either if you install it "the hard way".
    In that case you'd need to patch it manually, while a patch may be added to the rpm packages for you by the maintainers...

And if the driver itself is "broken", the way it is installed doesn't matter either. It's the same binary blob after all.
    If I understand correctly, in this case, there is no reason to install nvidia "the hard way". Both ways, if the driver is broken, I will have problems. So, I will install from repository.
    Thank you for the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    dkms works for easy way Not sure that it can be setup reliably for hardway
    It's exactly the other way round.
    dkms doesn't work for the easy way because the rpm packages take care of that. And therefore there's absolutely no need to use dkms in the first place anyway.

And as I wrote, AFAIK the nvidia (.run) installer should detect dkms and configure auto-compiling the kernel module.
    How reliable that is I cannot tell though, as I never used dkms (nor the nvidia installer) at all.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 25-Feb-2018 at 10:18.

Thank you for your help.
    Tumbleweed works like a charm.

I have always had dkms installed, but never once I have updated the kernel with the Nvidia Drivers hard way that has recompiled the same .... it does not work.
    With Tumbleweed there are repositories that work well enough, and rarely do they go.
    I have blacklisted the nouveau, and even when the Nvidia Proprietary Drivers fail the system starts in graphics reduced by IceWm I uninstall the drivers from the Repo and install from file.run (hard way) always keeping two Nvidia.run drivers in stock my / home

Good idea. Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast