Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Error in boot: Volume was not properly unmounted

  1. #1

    Default Error in boot: Volume was not properly unmounted

    Hi,
    In the journal I have an error that could be fatal, I think.
    Code:
    [    4.538728] FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
    sda1 is the /boot/efi partition
    I tried
    Code:
     fsck /dev/sda1
    fsck from util-linux 2.29.2
    fsck.fat 3.0.26 (2014-03-07)
    0x25: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
    1) Remove dirty bit
    2) No action
    ? 1
    Leaving filesystem unchanged.
    /dev/sda1: 11 files, 1156/39891 clusters
    But the next reboot had the same error.
    How I could fix that?

    Many thanks for your help

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Rotterdam
    Posts
    150

    Default Re: Error in boot: Volume was not properly unmounted

    See here, it looks you have to add -a or -r.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,240

    Default Re: Error in boot: Volume was not properly unmounted

    Quote Originally Posted by MrNice View Post
    Hi,
    In the journal I have an error that could be fatal, I think.
    Code:
    [    4.538728] FAT-fs (sda1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
    sda1 is the /boot/efi partition
    I tried
    Code:
     fsck /dev/sda1
    fsck from util-linux 2.29.2
    fsck.fat 3.0.26 (2014-03-07)
    0x25: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
    1) Remove dirty bit
    2) No action
    ? 1
    Leaving filesystem unchanged.
    /dev/sda1: 11 files, 1156/39891 clusters
    But the next reboot had the same error.
    How I could fix that?

    Many thanks for your help
    I assume you have used that file system between openSUSE boots in a MS Windows boot (after all, that is where you have probably made it a non-Linux file system). But your Windows system was not ptoperly/completely shutdown. You must switch Fast Boot (or something of similar name) switched off in Windows.

    So start your Windows, do the setting, shutdown Windows. That should repair this.
    Henk van Velden

  4. #4

    Default Re: Error in boot: Volume was not properly unmounted

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I assume you have used that file system between openSUSE boots in a MS Windows boot .
    What is Windows? Joking
    I don't use Windows at all.

    Thanks marel, you got it.

    Code:
    fsck -va /dev/sda1
    fsck from util-linux 2.29.2
    fsck.fat 3.0.26 (2014-03-07)
    fsck.fat 3.0.26 (2014-03-07)
    Checking we can access the last sector of the filesystem
    0x25: Dirty bit is set. Fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt.
     Automatically removing dirty bit.
    Boot sector contents:
    System ID "mkfs.fat"
    Media byte 0xf8 (hard disk)
           512 bytes per logical sector
          4096 bytes per cluster
             1 reserved sector
    First FAT starts at byte 512 (sector 1)
             2 FATs, 16 bit entries
         81920 bytes per FAT (= 160 sectors)
    Root directory starts at byte 164352 (sector 321)
           512 root directory entries
    Data area starts at byte 180736 (sector 353)
         39891 data clusters (163393536 bytes)
    63 sectors/track, 255 heads
          2048 hidden sectors
        319488 sectors total
    Reclaiming unconnected clusters.
    Performing changes.
    /dev/sda1: 11 files, 1156/39891 clusters
    Issue fixed (but more in other threads)
    BTW, what should I do to show this thread is fixed?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,240

    Default Re: Error in boot: Volume was not properly unmounted

    Quote Originally Posted by MrNice View Post
    What is Windows? Joking
    I don't use Windows at all.
    Well, it is a FAT file system. That is Windows IMHO.

    Quote Originally Posted by MrNice View Post
    BTW, what should I do to show this thread is fixed?
    Nothing more then you did above: telling that you are satisfied with the helpful answer.
    Henk van Velden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •