Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ECC errors, only for Linux

Default ECC errors, only for Linux

I have an AMD Athlon dual core desktop that I primarily use to run OS/2. Neither FreeDOS, OS/2 nor the BIOS POST memory test report any memory problem. I was able to install both 11.3 and LEAP 42.3 on this machine without any problems during installation. However, LEAP on my hard drive is now reporting ECC errors; they same thing had happened with the 11.3 install. I'm also getting messages about write errors on fd0; there's nothing in the floppy drive, nor should there be.

Could Linux be doing something that stresses the memory more than other systems? How can I capture the log in order to post the exact error text? Thanks.

Default Re: ECC errors, only for Linux

I think a specialized testing tool like memtest86+ or memtest86 will yield better results than guesswork on Linux RAM usage. Get a bootable medium with memtest on it and let it run. The newer versions do support ECC RAM and should flag ECC errors during the stress test.

Memtest used to be a boot option on Opensuse install discs but I am not sure if that still is the case. Just boot the install medium and check if it is still shipped. If not, download a bootable medium.

I installed memtest86+, which puts a memtest option on the grub menu. When last I looked it had run 14 hours without an error. Every time I looked it said that it was running with SMP disabled and was using only core 0.

perhaps more effective if you post the exact message from the journal

memtest86 tests RAM it does not test hard drives for ecc errors for that I'd recommend checking your hard drives SMART status using a tool like smartctl
    smartctl is packaged in smartmontools so you'd need to install that package first
    Code:
    zypper in smartmontools
    if SMART is on you can get information about a particular drive by running (assuming /dev/sda is the hdd reporting ecc errors if not replace /dev/sda with the appropriate device)
    Code:
    smartctl --info /dev/sda
    you can run a test on the drive that's been reporting issues
    Code:
    smartctl -c /dev/sda

hard drives do tend to die off and usually give a lot of crc and ecc errors near the end of their life (I've had 3 drives die on me)
    if your hard drive is dying usually you'll see a large Reallocated Sectors Count in SMART
    if your hard disk is dying your only choice is to backup your data to a working device (a different hdd or a usb/dvd device)

Cool Re: ECC errors, only for Linux

@shmuelmetz:
    I don't really want to add to I_A's reply but, I will:
    • For a summary view of a drive's health, you should be using (with the user "root") "smartctl --health /dev/sda" or "/dev/sdb" or "/dev/sdc/" and so on.
    • For a complete view of a drive's health, you should be using "smartctl --health --all /dev/sda".
    • Ditto: "smartctl --info --all /dev/sda".
    • Ditto: "smartctl --capabilities --all /dev/sda" or "smartctl -c -a /dev/sda".

Quote Originally Posted by shmuelmetz View Post
    I installed memtest86+, which puts a memtest option on the grub menu. When last I looked it had run 14 hours without an error. Every time I looked it said that it was running with SMP disabled and was using only core 0.
    Which makes sense -- a memory test application which uses SMP is conceivable but possibly quite complicated …

I would suggest that, the journal entries related to ECC memory messages be checked:
    Code:
     # journalctl | grep -Ev 'SECCOMP|ECC_Uncorr_Error_Count|Hardware_ECC_Recovered' | grep 'ECC'

The memtest ran for 24 hours, also I'm concerned as to whether test on a single core are good enough. I will extract the journal data with

journalctl | grep -Ev 'SECCOMP|ECC_Uncorr_Error_Count|Hardware_ECC_Recovered' | grep 'ECC'

Do I also need to look for cache errors?

BTW, how do I enable HTML tags so I can put things in a code block? Thanks.

Do I also need to look for cache errors?
    The 'grep' filter I've proposed should pull out any memory ECC errors -- the "-Ev" filter only filters out any disk related ECC messages.

BTW, how do I enable HTML tags so I can put things in a code block? Thanks.
    Assuming that, you're using the Web-Browser interface to this Forum, and not the News feed, in the middle row of the rich-text formatting buttons, the button with a '#' will wrap [CODE] tags around the selected test -- floating the mouse over the buttons will pop-up help text balloons.

I have not been getting messages about hard drive errors, only cache and DRAM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast