How to uninstall Gnome?

Hello,
I’m somewhat a newbie, but I decided with tumbleweed anyway.

I installed tumbleweed with KDE Plasma, after a while I decided to give gnome a shot. I installed by ticking “Gnome Desktop Environment” under patterns, and so easily everything installed. Thinking how great this patterns feature was, I decided to remove gnome now. I thought unticking the same place (like I did to install) would do the trick, but it did not. Can you tell me how am I supposed to uninstall Gnome in this system?

I thought I could try rolling back with snapper snapshot (I heard about it - never tried before). But yast gave me error:

No snapper configurations exist. You have to create one or more configurations to use yast2-snapper. The snapper command line tool can be used to create configurations.

Maybe you could help me configure it, or should I ask in another forum?

Thank you,
Emre.

For snapper you need btrfs as the root filesystem. And not having unchecked the snapshots item.

You could select the pattern in the Softwaremanager, then try to uninstall the packages in the list on the right. Simply right-click in the list, choose All Packages in this list, the uninstall.

How to uninstall Gnome?

Why bother. It won’t cause problems. Just leave it there, but don’t use it.

I have Gnome installed, just in case I want to test something. But I normally use KDE Plasma 5. Leaving Gnome there does not cause any problems for me.

I have btrfs as suggested by opensuse in install, but I had to make a custom setup because of dualboot. Looks like I have no config for it.

For deleting gnome, I was afraid that some of those packages in the pattern could be used in other patterns. I’m not sure if it was safe to delete them. I guess making the uninstall process the same with installing pattern could be great.

I am afraid I do not exactly understand what you are saying here. A pattern is a list of packages that are needed for the goal of the pattern. That may include packages that are needed by other patterns. Simply uninstalling all that is installed by the Gnome pattern could remove packages that are used by other patterns that still stay installed. Also, it is quite possible to run applications that are coming from the Gnome world in another desktop environment. Those will need a lot of Gnome libraries. Uninstalling them will make the application unusable. As said earlier, just leave it. It is only a small amount of disk space.

Try the following command (-D option makes it a dry run):

erlangen:~ # zypper rm -D '*gnome*'
Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...
Resolving package dependencies...

The following 33 applications are going to be REMOVED:
  Cheese Contacts Documents Empathy Evince Evolution "Eye of GNOME" "GNOME Calculator" "GNOME Characters" "GNOME Chess" "GNOME Clocks" "GNOME Color Manager" "GNOME Control Center" "GNOME Dictionary"
  "GNOME Disks" "GNOME Fonts" "GNOME Logs" "GNOME Mahjongg" "GNOME Maps" "GNOME Mines" "GNOME Music" "GNOME Package Updater" "GNOME Power Statistics" "GNOME Screenshot" "GNOME Software" "GNOME Sudoku"
  "GNOME System Monitor" "GNOME Tweaks" Nautilus Photos "Print Settings" Videos Weather

The following 188 packages are going to be REMOVED:
  NetworkManager-applet NetworkManager-applet-lang NetworkManager-openconnect-gnome NetworkManager-openvpn-gnome NetworkManager-pptp-gnome NetworkManager-vpnc-gnome bundle-lang-gnome-de
  bundle-lang-gnome-en cheese cheese-lang chrome-gnome-shell empathy empathy-lang eog eog-lang evince evince-lang evince-plugin-pdfdocument evince-plugin-psdocument evolution evolution-lang gdm
  gdm-branding-openSUSE gdm-lang gnome-bluetooth gnome-bluetooth-lang gnome-calculator gnome-calculator-lang gnome-characters gnome-characters-lang gnome-chess gnome-chess-lang gnome-clocks
  gnome-clocks-lang gnome-color-manager gnome-color-manager-lang gnome-contacts gnome-contacts-lang gnome-control-center gnome-control-center-color gnome-control-center-goa gnome-control-center-lang
  gnome-control-center-user-faces gnome-desktop-lang gnome-dictionary gnome-dictionary-lang gnome-disk-utility gnome-disk-utility-lang gnome-documents gnome-documents-lang gnome-documents_books-common
  gnome-font-viewer gnome-font-viewer-lang gnome-icon-theme gnome-icon-theme-extras gnome-icon-theme-symbolic gnome-keyring gnome-keyring-lang gnome-keyring-pam gnome-logs gnome-logs-lang gnome-mahjongg
  gnome-maps gnome-maps-lang gnome-menus gnome-menus-branding-openSUSE gnome-menus-lang gnome-mines gnome-mines-lang gnome-music gnome-music-lang gnome-online-accounts gnome-online-accounts-lang
  gnome-online-miners gnome-packagekit gnome-packagekit-lang gnome-photos gnome-photos-lang gnome-power-manager gnome-power-manager-lang gnome-screenshot gnome-screenshot-lang gnome-session
  gnome-session-core gnome-session-default-session gnome-session-lang gnome-settings-daemon gnome-settings-daemon-lang gnome-shell gnome-shell-calendar gnome-shell-lang gnome-shell-search-provider-bijiben
  gnome-shell-search-provider-contacts gnome-shell-search-provider-documents gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-calculator gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-characters
  gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-clocks gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-photos gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-terminal gnome-shell-search-provider-gnome-weather
  gnome-shell-search-provider-nautilus gnome-shell-search-provider-seahorse gnome-software gnome-software-lang gnome-sudoku gnome-sudoku-lang gnome-system-monitor gnome-system-monitor-lang gnome-terminal
  gnome-terminal-lang gnome-themes-accessibility gnome-themes-accessibility-gtk2 gnome-tweak-tool gnome-tweak-tool-lang gnome-user-docs gnome-user-docs-lang gnome-user-share gnome-version
  gnome-video-effects gnome-weather gnome-weather-lang graphviz-gnome libcryptui0 libgck-modules-gnome-keyring libgnome-autoar-0-0 libgnome-autoar-gtk-0-0 libgnome-bluetooth13 libgnome-desktop-3-12
  libgnome-desktop-3_0-common libgnome-games-support-1-2 libgnome-games-support-lang libgnome-keyring-lang libgnome-keyring0 libgnomekbd libgnomekbd-lang libgnomesu libgnomesu0 libmutter-1-0
  libproxy1-config-gnome3 libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk3 libsocialweb libsocialweb-branding-openSUSE libsocialweb0 libsvn_auth_gnome_keyring-1-0 mutter mutter-data mutter-lang nautilus nautilus-evince
  nautilus-extension-seahorse nautilus-lang nautilus-totem patterns-gnome-gnome patterns-gnome-gnome_admin patterns-gnome-gnome_basis patterns-gnome-gnome_basis_opt patterns-gnome-gnome_games
  patterns-gnome-gnome_imaging patterns-gnome-gnome_imaging_opt patterns-gnome-gnome_internet patterns-gnome-gnome_multimedia patterns-gnome-gnome_multimedia_opt patterns-gnome-gnome_office
  patterns-gnome-gnome_office_opt patterns-gnome-gnome_utilities patterns-gnome-gnome_yast patterns-gnome-sw_management_gnome pcmanfm pcmanfm-lang pinentry-gnome3 pk-update-icon pk-update-icon-lang
  polkit-gnome seahorse-daemon system-config-printer system-config-printer-applet system-config-printer-common system-config-printer-common-lang system-config-printer-dbus-service
  telepathy-mission-control-plugin-goa totem totem-lang totem-plugin-brasero totem-plugins typelib-1_0-GnomeBluetooth-1_0 typelib-1_0-GnomeDesktop-3_0 typelib-1_0-GnomeKeyring-1_0

The following 15 patterns are going to be REMOVED:
  gnome gnome_admin gnome_basis gnome_basis_opt gnome_games gnome_imaging gnome_imaging_opt gnome_internet gnome_multimedia gnome_multimedia_opt gnome_office gnome_office_opt gnome_utilities gnome_yast
  sw_management_gnome

188 packages to remove.
After the operation, 361.4 MiB will be freed.
Continue? [y/n/...? shows all options] (y): 
erlangen:~ # 

Well, that will de-install a lot of packages that have the string gnome somewhere in their name and that also apparently (in your case) are no dependencies of other installed packages, but is it the same as if you never would have installed Gnome?

And all the fuss for 400Mb of disk space.

Sure, since using openSUSE I installed on several occasions packages which have the string gnome somewhere in their name. At some time I completed the Gnome Desktop by checking GNOME Desktop Environment in YaST and installing the associated packages.

However the command tells you the name of the applications and patterns associated with GNOME. And it removes packages which do not contain the string in their name. In the past I found several times that new packages interfered with existing ones in a subtle manner. Often finding out which of the packages causes the problem is cumbersome. Currently nothing of that kind occurs. Thus I do not remove GNOME until some problems occurs. In that case I would prefer to remove all of the packages and reinstall the few actually needed in the non-GNOME desktops. To my knowledge /var/log/zypp/history contains a complete list of installs and removes since initial setup of the machine. This may aid in deciding how to proceed.

When you install desktop environment patterns,
you can avoid installing many potentially unwanted packages
by using the **–no-recommends **flag.

zypper in --no-recommends -t pattern xfce

… but, of course, as pointed out by others already, there is no need to uninstall it, unless you are using a 60-GiB or smaller hard drive.

It only takes up a small bit of HD space, nothing really runs unless you use a Gnome application or log in to the Gnome desktop itself, as far as I understand it.:wink:

I can understand the desire to remove unwanted packages.
zypper dup will potentially have more package changes to look through,
and it’s inefficient to be updating packages that won’t be used.

I did a lot of:

zypper info <package>
zypper rm -u <package>
zypper al <package>

…and also using YaST2.

But I’ve since installed Leap and don’t have any fluff. ;-]

Brainstorming about the pattern system:
I imagine something like a pattern with two subpatterns.
One subpattern is everything that is likely replaced by another DE,
and the other subpattern is everything they might commonly use.
That way you can at least safely delete one subpattern.

I see that installing different DEs on top of another is not a very good idea. But it may be a safe haven if one has problems through an update.

Most annoying thing is multiple apps for same purpose, filling up launcher menu.

But this time I have a more pleasant time with Tumbleweed, when I tried it a few months ago i was sick of it. And when I gave it time to bake on my machine it became better. :slight_smile: UI annoyances though, I better learn all about zypper for CLI usage.

The only real safe scheme for keeping any system up to date is installing a second instance, preferably on a second drive. Use a leapfrog scheme when updating.

The smaller of my machines has one 840 Evo and one 850 Evo, 250GB each. Both have Tumbleweed installed on a 30GB ext4 partition. This approach is very conservative, but robust and comes with little overhead.

But this time I have a more pleasant time with Tumbleweed, when I tried it a few months ago i was sick of it. And when I gave it time to bake on my machine it became better. :slight_smile: UI annoyances though, I better learn all about zypper for CLI usage.
There are two main resources:

1. man zypper
  2. SDB:Zypper usage 12.2 - openSUSE Wiki

Additionally you may browse https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/leap/reference/html/book.opensuse.reference/cha.sw_cl.html and SUSE Documentation

I do not understand why you say so.

• they are not installed “on top of each other” but alongside each other;
  • with a normal installation you always have more then one desktop installed (one as a fall-back);
  • many people have several extra desktops installed after or during installation; they did this already for many openSUSE versions without problems.

Whenever you can prove that installed desktops brake each other, please file a bug report.

Thanks to everyone for directing me for useful info.

I didn’t mean to claim that they break each other. Just may cause annoyances like similar apps to do same thing, of course this should be expected. One has to pick and uninstall the unnecessary ones. For example I would still try to use dolphin even in Gnome.