Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

  1. #1

    Question Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

    Each time I find a bug and submit it to https://bugzilla.gnome.org I am stuck with the issue that the developers tell me to install a newer version because in Leap 42.3 Evolution is some obsolete v.3.20.5.

    On https://bugzilla.opensuse.org I was told:
    Unfortunately, for Leap 42.3, evolution (or any other apps from the GNOME stack) will not be updated to an newer version to maintain UX consistency. If there is a way to backport patches from an updated version that upstream suggests, without too much surgery, we will consider that. That, of course, depends on whether this is fixed even in the latest evolution (e.g. on Tumbleweed) or not.
    I found this page but I see no official repo for 42.3 with newer version.

    This creates a closed circuit: The user who finds a bug cannot report it adequately upstream because the software version is too old. At the same time the software is deliberately not updated in the repo due to something else.

    So how can I get Evolution updated?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,890
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

    On Sun 11 Feb 2018 02:36:02 PM CST, heyjoe wrote:

    Each time I find a bug and submit it to https://bugzilla.gnome.org I am
    stuck with the issue that the developers tell me to install a newer
    version because in Leap 42.3 Evolution is some obsolete v.3.20.5.

    On https://bugzilla.opensuse.org I was told:
    >
    > Unfortunately, for Leap 42.3, evolution (or any other apps from the
    > GNOME stack) will not be updated to an newer version to maintain UX
    > consistency. If there is a way to backport patches from an updated
    > version that upstream suggests, without too much surgery, we will
    > consider that. That, of course, depends on whether this is fixed even
    > in the latest evolution (e.g. on Tumbleweed) or not.
    >


    I found 'this page' (https://software.opensuse.org/package/evolution)
    but I see no official repo for 42.3 with newer version.

    This creates a closed circuit: The user who finds a bug cannot report it
    adequately upstream because the software version is too old. At the same
    time the software is deliberately not updated in the repo due to
    something else.

    So how can I get Evolution updated?


    Hi
    Which is all how it's done with Leap (and SLE), dod you have the
    openSUSE bugzilla reference?

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.3|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.114-42-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  3. #3

    Default Re: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,890
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

    Hi
    I would be patient since DimStar has pinged SReeves. I don't use evolution, claws-mail instead both on openSUSE and SLE...
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

  5. #5

    Default Re: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I would be patient since DimStar has pinged SReeves. I don't use evolution, claws-mail instead both on openSUSE and SLE...
    I am patient
    In what sense is claws-mail better?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Podunk
    Posts
    26,890
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

    On Sun 11 Feb 2018 10:16:01 PM CST, heyjoe wrote:

    malcolmlewis;2854989 Wrote:
    > Hi
    > I would be patient since DimStar has pinged SReeves. I don't use
    > evolution, claws-mail instead both on openSUSE and SLE...


    I am patient
    In what sense is claws-mail better?
    Hi
    I use it for nntp, these forums (as well as SUSE and Microfocus), nntp
    for the openSUSE Mailing lists (vi gmane) and a NZ based usenet group
    server, as well as mail. One interface for multiple activities... I've
    found Evolution to be too slow... and used claws for a long time now....

    Give it another couple of days and then bump the bug for an update

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    openSUSE Leap 42.3|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.114-42-default
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    5,145

    Default Re: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by heyjoe View Post
    So how can I get Evolution updated?
    You could install TW in VM (or may be docker container) and test it.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    I use it for nntp, these forums (as well as SUSE and Microfocus), nntp
    for the openSUSE Mailing lists (vi gmane) and a NZ based usenet group
    server, as well as mail. One interface for multiple activities... I've
    found Evolution to be too slow... and used claws for a long time now....
    Interesting. I will give it a try, thanks.
    Give it another couple of days and then bump the bug for an update
    Yesterday I opened another bug for another Evolution issue with a reference to the comments in the previous one, so hopefully someone will look at it.

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    You could install TW in VM (or may be docker container) and test it.
    Sure, I can. But I don't think it is very sane to maintain a separate OS just for an email client.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southwest Virginia, USA
    Posts
    9

    Default Re: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

    Exactly why I run Tumbleweed.

    This is a bit risky but I always try it in these old version software situations. What do I have to lose? If I trash my install, I just back my critical stuff up and start all over and reinstall.

    Deinstall evolution via Yast. Then google evolution.rpm. The RPM resource website appears as a choice. Then I download the rpm, Fedora is my usual version choice. Then I install it. But, just like when I install Chrome or the Citrix receiver or other Non-Yast program, Yast threatens me that I'll bonk the whole system - and indeed I take the risk that I might just do that - if I install it. But so far I've had no problems.

    I've most often seen this with hplip versions that are so old they don't cover printers beyond about 2 years ago.

    Again, it's buyer beware. But it's worked for me most of the time. Good luck!
    John

    "Live And Let Live."

  10. #10

    Default Re: Where do I get a newer version of GNOME Evolution?

    @malcolmlewis

    claws-mail is really interesting but also dated: 3.13.2 (from Jan.2016) on Leap 42.3 repo (even older on TW and only 32-bit, strange):

    https://software.opensuse.org/package/claws-mail

    Generally I am hesitant to add non-official repos, so I filed a bug report asking for update.

    Another thing: I notice it updates my 30k+ gmail (All mail folder) messages veeeery slowly (I need to wait several minutes, Evolution does it very fast) and the only way to resolve this seems to be to unsubscribe from "All mail" (which is not such a bright idea). Do you know any way to fix that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •