Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to reinstall bootloader without reinstalling the entire system

Default Re: How to reinstall bootloader without reinstalling the entire system

Quote Originally Posted by MarcChamberlin View Post
    Code:
    grub2-install /dev/sdd
    Installing for i386-pc platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcChamberlin View Post
    Code:
       1            2048          321535   156.0 MiB   EF00  primary
    Your system is apparently installed for EFI boot but you booted in legacy BIOS mode. You may try "grub2-install --target x86_64-efi --no-nvram" (as writing NVRAM entries will fail anyway) after mounting ESP as /boot/efi in chroot.

Thumbs up Re: How to reinstall bootloader without reinstalling the entire system - Solved I think....

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    Your system is apparently installed for EFI boot but you booted in legacy BIOS mode. You may try "grub2-install --target x86_64-efi --no-nvram" (as writing NVRAM entries will fail anyway) after mounting ESP as /boot/efi in chroot.
    Thanks arvidjarr! I think that did it! And yeah I am not surprise that I still have stuff around for doing an EFI boot. When I first installed one of the Leap systems it defaulted to wanting to use EFI and not knowing any better I let it do so. But I ran into troubles with it for some reason (don't remember why now) so I tried to go back to using the legacy approach. And to date it has not caused me any significant troubles.... Perhaps it is time to try using EFI again...

Anywise, at least your last suggestion got me far enough along that I was able to get the system back up and running... But not without some further hiccups... The Grub menu did come back but when I tried to boot up Leap42.3 it only got about a dozen lines of the instrumented messages printed out before once again crashing. So I took a guess and figured something was wrong with the loading of the kernel code also. I decided to use my installation disk to reinstall the latest version of the kernel, along with some misc additional updates. That lead to another failure telling me that the file system was corrupted. So again I booted up a Live CD and ran fsck on the partition. This time it resulted in LOTS of error messages and not knowing any better I simply chose to let fsck do whatever it defaulted to, for each problem it found. Then I again reinstalled the kernel software and this time I got an incompatibility error message saying that the installation media did not agree with what was being replaced. I ignored it and told the installation to continue on... It took quite awhile but eventually it worked things out and reported that everything was also installed. I also had it install both the 32 bit and 64 bit runtime support packages as it confused me as to why it was wanting to install just the 32 bit stuff on a 64 bit architecture. Anywise, after all that the system now boots up once again, but it leaves it's owner with a bit of a shaky feeling about just how robust everything is. Guess time will tell...

Again thanks so much for your help and time, couldn't have done this without your assistance!!! Marc...

You can't mix boot modes ALL OS must use the same mode to be able the chain. I suspect you have one OS installed using MBR boot and the other using EFI.

When installing the installer default to the mode that it's media is booted to. It is not entirely obvious what mode is used when looking a the boot menu. Biggest difference is that MBR mode shows option at the bottom of the screen and EFI mode does not. There is no big sign saying I booted in EFI or MBR

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    You can't mix boot modes ALL OS must use the same mode to be able the chain. I suspect you have one OS installed using MBR boot and the other using EFI.

When installing the installer default to the mode that it's media is booted to. It is not entirely obvious what mode is used when looking a the boot menu. Biggest difference is that MBR mode shows option at the bottom of the screen and EFI mode does not. There is no big sign saying I booted in EFI or MBR
    Hi gogalthorp - Actually I really only have one OS installed on the system I was having troubles with. I run this system to support a number of services - web, mail, ftp, and a bunch more. What I have been doing is to keep the operational OS updated to the latest "stable" version of OpenSuSE which is at the moment Leap 42.3. But there are remnants of stuff from previous OS's. I usually try to keep a previous version for awhile, after I do an upgrade, in case I have to fall back to it. But as soon as I feel my newest system is stable, I drop supporting the older versions and let them go. and eventually I reuse those partitions for something new...

At some point, I think it was when I upgraded to Leap42.1, the installation software decided to switch me from MBR to EFI. (I don't remember why, perhaps I was following advice at the time and thought I would try it out.) Anywise, it didn't go well, so I tried to switch back to MBR mode. I may not have done that very cleanly, again I don't recall and this is now relegated to the dim foggy past... That has been working OK, until now. The BIOS is configured to boot up using legacy MBR as well, so I am not really clear why my Leap42.3 system is even using EFI, but apparently it still is using some aspect of it..

I have been too darn lazy to do a clean install also, way too much of a PITA to reset up, configure, and debug all the servers and web applications that I run! And while I keep everything well backed up, I much prefer doing migrations slowly over time when things change, rather than all at once!

Well if you have 42.3 and 42.1 installed on different partitions and expect to see 42.1 in grub you do have two OS/s installed If one was installed MBR and the other EFI grub will not chain. But you stillshould be able to pick the boot OS from the UEFI boot menu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12