Thread: zypper dup: Can not download openSUSE-release-20180207-1.2.x86_64.rpm

Default zypper dup: Can not download openSUSE-release-20180207-1.2.x86_64.rpm

Trying to do an update this evening as for some reason my Tumbleweed GUI starts but the start menu and background are not there. Fortunately I had still een Konsole open and that responded, so I thought let's do a "zypper dup" to see if that solves the problem.

That tells me:
    Code:
    The following NEW package is going to be installed:
      kernel-default-4.15.1-1.5

The following 4 applications are going to be REMOVED:
      "Firefox Web Browser" "Hugin Batch Processor" "Hugin Calibrate Lens" "Hugin Panorama Creator"

The following package is going to be REMOVED:
      kernel-default-4.15.1-1.4

The following 28 packages are going to be upgraded:
      MozillaFirefox MozillaFirefox-translations-common autoyast2-installation gvfs gvfs-backend-afc gvfs-backend-samba gvfs-backends gvfs-fuse gvfs-lang hugin libgexiv2-2 libgexiv2-devel
      libgupnp-igd-1_0-4 libmysqlcppconn7 libstorage-ng-ruby libstorage-ng1 libtracker-common-2_0 libtracker-sparql-2_0-0 openSUSE-release openSUSE-release-ftp strongswan-ipsec
      strongswan-libs0 texlive-lm-fonts yast2-bootloader yast2-firewall yast2-installation yast2-nis-client yast2-storage-ng

The following product is going to be upgraded:
      openSUSE Tumbleweed  20180206-0 -> 20180207-0

The following 19 packages are going to be downgraded:
      Mesa Mesa-32bit Mesa-dri Mesa-dri-32bit Mesa-gallium Mesa-gallium-32bit Mesa-libEGL-devel Mesa-libEGL1 Mesa-libGL-devel Mesa-libGL1 Mesa-libGL1-32bit Mesa-libglapi0 Mesa-libglapi0-32bit
      Mesa-libva libOSMesa8 libOSMesa8-32bit libgbm1 libwayland-egl-devel libwayland-egl1

28 packages to upgrade, 19 to downgrade, 1 new, 1 to remove.
    That looks good, 19 to be downgraded, maybe a problem was found.
    What is not good is that zypper dup hangs on
    Code:
    Retrieving package openSUSE-release-20180207-1.2.x86_64                                                                                             (30/48), 689.1 KiB (  1.0 MiB unpacked)
    Retrieving: openSUSE-release-20180207-1.2.x86_64.rpm .......................................................................................................................[error (2 B/s)]
    Timeout exceeded when accessing 'http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/openSUSE:/Tumbleweed/standard/x86_64/openSUSE-release-20180207-1.2.x86_64.rpm'.
    Abort, retry, ignore? [a/r/i] (r):
    Tried wget-ting the file and it detects that the there is a redirect to http://download.opensuse.org/tumblew...1.2.x86_64.rpm but that hangs on "HTTP request sent, awaiting response..."

Anybody an idea how to get openSUSE-release-20180207-1.2.x86_64.rpm?

Default Re: zypper dup: Can not download openSUSE-release-20180207-1.2.x86_64.rpm

Must have been an intermittent or temporary problem because I just tried and the file was downloaded within seconds.

zypper dup did the update but that did not fix the problem I was trying to solve, when TB starts up I get no background, no start menu, no button bar and no icons. I do get a Konsole window that I left open before restarting and from there I can start programs from the command prompt and they work fine. When I move a window, the old location is not cleared.

Will have a better look tomorrow but if anybody has some idea on what is going on...

Default Re: zypper dup: Can not download openSUSE-release-20180207-1.2.x86_64.rpm

Just remembered reading in another thread to remove ~/.cache/ and /var/lib/sddm/.cache/, did that and problem solved!

Occasionally a mirror gets like partially updated and thus broken. Generally the distribution system sorts itself out by the next day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marel View Post
    Just remembered reading in another thread to remove ~/.cache/ and /var/lib/sddm/.cache/, did that and problem solved!
    Sheer coincedence. 'zypper clean' would have solved it. ( it cleans out cached zypper data ).
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Would indeed "zypper clean" have solved this? I can imagine it cleaning up ~/.cache/ but also /var/lib/sddm/.cache/?

On the other hand, not sure if both
    cleaning up ~/.cache/ and /var/lib/sddm/.cache/ was needed.

I doubt that /var/lib/sddm/.cache/ has any effect on zypper

Check if your repos are set to autorefresh, if they aren't, you might need a 'zypper ref', I ran into this today.

Quote Originally Posted by pborowicz View Post
    Check if your repos are set to autorefresh, if they aren't, you might need a 'zypper ref', I ran into this today.
    My normal update procedure is "zypper ref; zypper verify; zypper dup" so it is not really possible the repo data was out-of-date.