Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Zypper update help

  1. #1

    Default Zypper update help

    Greetings . Since i am new to the Suse community after installing my Tumbleweed with EXT4 FS today and applying the updates i overcame the MESA problem that appeared today by deleting some cache files.

    After logging in and doing sudo zypper up from terminal i am getting :

    Code:
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    The following package update will NOT be installed:
      kernel-default
    
    Nothing to do.
    Can someone tell me why is keeping back this update ? Is it something i have to look more about it or it is normal ?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Zypper update help

    Quote Originally Posted by gussip View Post
    Greetings . Since i am new to the Suse community after installing my Tumbleweed with EXT4 FS today and applying the updates i overcame the MESA problem that appeared today by deleting some cache files.

    After logging in and doing sudo zypper up from terminal i am getting :

    Code:
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...
    
    The following package update will NOT be installed:
      kernel-default
    
    Nothing to do.
    Can someone tell me why is keeping back this update ? Is it something i have to look more about it or it is normal ?

    Thank you
    DO NOT use 'zypper up' on Tumbleweed. Only 'zypper dup', no applets or software-managers, only 'zypper dup'.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: Zypper update help

    Instead of “up” use “dup” for distribution upgrade.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Zypper update help

    Oh , i must say that i didn't see this coming .

    By executing sudo zypper dup i get a lot of packages to update indeed.

    The problem is that when i installed the KDE, machine checked for updates and i installed them through the graphical applet at the taskbar .

    DO NOT use 'zypper up' on Tumbleweed. Only 'zypper dup', no applets or software-managers, only 'zypper dup'.
    What do you suggest Knurpht ? Shall i reinstall fresh and just ignore the notification about the update from the applet ?

    Is there a way to remove it or stop it from checking while system boots ?

    Thanks a lot
    Luck comes from a series of certainly unpredictable circumstances

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    193

    Default Re: Zypper update help

    While you are waiting for a reply, you have not done any damage using “up”. But since this is a rolling distribution there is no reason not to use “dup”.

    I run

    zypper ps -s

    after to see if a log out or reboot is required.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Zypper update help

    Quote Originally Posted by gussip View Post
    By executing sudo zypper dup i get a lot of packages to update indeed.
    Some of that is because you are playing catch up.

    It is the nature of a rolling distribution, like Tumbleweed, that there will be many updates.

    The problem is that when i installed the KDE, machine checked for updates and i installed them through the graphical applet at the taskbar .
    Usually no harm done. But you will be left with a few obsolete packages. A "zypper dup" will fix that.

    Shall i reinstall fresh and just ignore the notification about the update from the applet ?
    No need to reinstall.

    You can ignore the update applet. Or you can treat it as a notifier that it is time to do another "zypper dup". Or just turn it off. Right click on the tray, select "System Tray Settings", and uncheck the updater box.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    20,925
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Zypper update help

    Quote Originally Posted by gussip View Post
    Oh , i must say that i didn't see this coming .

    By executing sudo zypper dup i get a lot of packages to update indeed.

    The problem is that when i installed the KDE, machine checked for updates and i installed them through the graphical applet at the taskbar .



    What do you suggest Knurpht ? Shall i reinstall fresh and just ignore the notification about the update from the applet ?

    Is there a way to remove it or stop it from checking while system boots ?

    Thanks a lot
    Simply run 'zypper dup' . And disable / uninstall the update applet. It is not aware that you're running TW. TW is released over and over again ( last week 6 times ) and needs zypper dup
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    3,371
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Zypper update help

    Quote Originally Posted by doscott View Post
    there is no reason not to use “dup”.
    That's like saying never or always when you cannot in fact know. Dup is the official update method, but it doesn't make up useless. Doing up first, followed by dup, segregates generally less significant changes from generally more significant changes, the latter of which may (without using the g key before y or n) fit onscreen for examination before proceeding, while a whole -v dup list easily may not for those who do their updates infrequently.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Zypper update help

    On 02/07/2018 03:16 PM, mrmazda wrote:
    >
    > doscott;2854447 Wrote:
    >> there is no reason not to use “dup”.

    > That's like saying never or always when you cannot in fact know. Dup is
    > the official update method, but it doesn't make up useless. Doing up
    > first, followed by dup, segregates generally less significant changes
    > from generally more significant changes, the latter of which may
    > (without using the g key before y or n) fit onscreen for examination
    > before proceeding, while a whole -v dup list easily may not for those
    > who do their updates infrequently.
    >
    >


    But we in fact do know. For TW the only accepted option is 'zypper dup'
    because each new release of TW *is* a DistributionUPgrade. Notice it
    says 'Distribution'. If you changed from LEAP42.2 to LEAP42.3 by
    updating the version in the repo files would you use 'zypper up' or
    'zypper dup'. Do you get the picture now. You are not simply updating a
    few packages but making significant system changes.

    --
    Ken
    linux since 1984
    S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    3,371
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Zypper update help

    Quote Originally Posted by kensch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmazda
    Quote Originally Posted by doscott
    there is no reason not to use “dup”.
    That's like saying never or always when you cannot in fact know. Dup is
    the official update method, but it doesn't make up useless. Doing up
    first, followed by dup, segregates generally less significant changes
    from generally more significant changes, the latter of which may
    (without using the g key before y or n) fit onscreen for examination
    before proceeding, while a whole -v dup list easily may not for those
    who do their updates infrequently.
    But we in fact do know.
    That ignores the entire point of my post, which is that there is at least one reason for (non-exclusively) using up, the one I stated, and have been routinely using since before TW replaced Factory.

    For TW the only accepted option is 'zypper dup'
    because each new release of TW *is* a DistributionUPgrade.
    It's the only accepted method of completing the task. A non-linear path to completion can serve a useful purpose, not the least of which is discovering imminence of undesirable changes and taking steps to block them while still utilizing the others, intentionally leaving the task incomplete.

    You are not simply updating a few packages but making significant system changes.
    Exactly my reason for preceeding dup with up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •