Thread: KDE5 taskbar crash and black screen/ freeze

Default KDE5 taskbar crash and black screen/ freeze

Hi,
    btw i am using lenovo T410 with opensuse Leap installed.
    recently the taskbar is missing after re-login from unlock screen.
    sometimes i the screen went black then followed by shutdown.

i check the log to find some error line, here is what i found

Code:
    [ 5566.015307]  sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3
    [ 5736.074124] perf interrupt took too long (2519 > 2500), lowering kernel.perf_event_max_sample_rate to 50000
    [ 5852.719737] [drm:ironlake_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun
    [ 5852.719781] [drm:ironlake_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* PCH transcoder A FIFO underrun
    [ 7993.941497]  sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3
    [ 8103.812941] [drm] GPU HANG: ecode 5:0:0xf7fffffb, in X [1396], reason: Hang on render ring, action: reset
    [ 8103.812945] [drm] GPU hangs can indicate a bug anywhere in the entire gfx stack, including userspace.
    [ 8103.812946] [drm] Please file a _new_ bug report on bugs.freedesktop.org against DRI -> DRM/Intel
    [ 8103.812947] [drm] drm/i915 developers can then reassign to the right component if it's not a kernel issue.
    [ 8103.812947] [drm] The gpu crash dump is required to analyze gpu hangs, so please always attach it.
    [ 8103.812948] [drm] GPU crash dump saved to /sys/class/drm/card0/error
    [ 8103.813009] drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang
    [ 8114.822428] drm/i915: Resetting chip after gpu hang
    &
    Code:
    pulseaudio[1940]: [pulseaudio] bluez5-util.c: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error
    i have tried to search on google, most of them will solved just by edit intel driver conf....
    but my laptop use different driver, its xf86-video-vesa, and i coulnd't find vesa driver configuration.
    i dont know if my problem related to type of vga driver that i use (vesa)...
    or should i change my vga driver, remove vesa driver and install xf86-video-intel driver?

here is my vga specs
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)
            Subsystem: Lenovo Device [17aa:215a]
            Kernel driver in use: i915
            Kernel modules: i915

Default Re: KDE5 taskbar crash and black screen/ freeze

Quote Originally Posted by momod View Post
    but my laptop use different driver, its xf86-video-vesa, and i coulnd't find vesa driver configuration.
    And why do you think so?
    These error messages come from the i915 kernel driver, which wouldn't be in use with vesa, which is just a generic fallback if no other driver is found.

Please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log .

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    And why do you think so?
    These error messages come from the i915 kernel driver, which wouldn't be in use with vesa, which is just a generic fallback if no other driver is found.

Please post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log .
    i've never choose vesa driver, and there was no specific notification to install specific driver while installing opensuse.

sorry i put Xorg.0.log on pastebin
    https://pastebin.com/eF6H8fxp

Quote Originally Posted by momod View Post
    i've never choose vesa driver, and there was no specific notification to install specific driver while installing opensuse.
    Well, if you never chose it, why should it be used?

According to you log, your system is using Xorg's built-in "modesetting" driver, which is preferred to xf86-video-intel nowadays especially on newer hardware (the intel X driver is just to buggy).
    Still uses hardware acceleration though.

Your error message comes from the kernel module as I wrote.
    Might be a bug in the newer one from drm-kmp-default (backports from kernel 4.9), so try to uninstall that package.

You may also try to install xf86-video-intel, maybe it would give better results.

Other than that, you should file a bug report, as the error message tells you.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 07-Feb-2018 at 08:16.