Thread: Create image of OS

Default Create image of OS

Hi

I just got my system running / configured the way I want it, Is there a way to create a image of it (including all /home documents) so I can clone it to another drive?

thansk
    JOhn Kilbert

Default Re: Create image of OS

Quote Originally Posted by kilbert View Post
    Hi

I just got my system running / configured the way I want it, Is there a way to create a image of it (including all /home documents) so I can clone it to another drive?

thansk
    JOhn Kilbert
    If the other machine is the same architecture you could use clonezilla to create an image of the partition and then restore this image on the new drive:
    http://clonezilla.org/

I'm not exactly sure what are your exact requirements so if you would elaborate on the details it would be easier to give some suggestions.
    Best regards,
    Greg

Thanks

Machine would be same (amd) I want to save a copy of my OS including all enabled repos, settings, passwords, logins, etc.. so I can just clone the existing drive to another (even if a different size) and have basically a duplicate machine all set up the way I have it today.

Thanks Much!

Quote Originally Posted by kilbert View Post
    Thanks

Machine would be same (amd) I want to save a copy of my OS including all enabled repos, settings, passwords, logins, etc.. so I can just clone the existing drive to another (even if a different size) and have basically a duplicate machine all set up the way I have it today.

Thanks Much!
    You can clone it to a larger drive, but not to a smaller drive. Each target partition must be the same size or larger for Clonezilla to restore it.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Note if changing hardware best to run mkinitrd to re-discover the hardware there can be minor difference.

I'm a big fan of fsarchiver.

You'll need to boot from a live cd, I like this one, http://www.system-rescue-cd.org/Download/

This will restore to different filesystems and I believe it supports smaller or larger partitions. It's very powerful, but CLI only.