Can't Install - No Boot Menu

I’m trying to install Leap 42.3 on an HP laptop. I disabled secure boot and I enabled legacy support in the bios. Don’t know if that was necessary. When I turn the computer on it reads the dvd, but I don’t get to the boot menu. All I see is a grub prompt. Can someone help me find out why this is happening?

and

All I see is a grub prompt. Can someone help me find out why this is happening?

Something is wrong here.

Maybe you already have some version of linux installed on your computer, and the grub prompt is from there.

If not, then here’s the problem: You should only be using “grub” if doing a UEFI boot. You should not be seeing that if you are using Legacy booting. For legacy booting, the DVD uses “syslinux” rather than “grub”.

I suggest that you disable legacy support and enable secure-boot. And see if you can boot that way. The install DVD should be able to boot with secure-boot. And, as far as I know, HP laptops should be able to handle that.

Ok. I enabled secure boot and uefi. Restarted the computer and the DVD loaded. I was asked whether to trust opensuse’s certificate and I answered yes. Still took me to the grub prompt. This is a first time Linux install on this laptop.

Did you check the checksums?

Interesting.

Grub is supposed to be looking at the disks to find the boot menu. It is looking as if it is having problems reading the DVD. Maybe you can try putting the installer onto a USB, and booting from that. The opensuse download site has instructions.

Yep. I ran the sha256 against the iso and it was fine. Also did a media check from the disk on another computer and that was fine as well. I’m going to try Tumbleweed and if that doesn’t work I’ll try the USB option. I’ll report back. Thanks for all of your input.

Bios boot settings are set to secure and uefi. I installed the iso to a USB drive and I got to the boot menu. Selected install and went through the installation process. Once complete the system rebooted. Unfortunately the system keeps booting into windows and at no point am I able to choose opensuse. I tried Boot from Hard Disk from within the installation media and I get a “error: no such device: /efi/boot/fallback.efi”.

Tried following the thread below without success, but the fault might have been on my end.
https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/528400-Repair-a-broken-UEFI-GRUB2-openSUSE-boot-scenario

In particular item #19 from that thread gave this code “efibootmgr -b 0004 -B” with the description “Changes the bootsequence stored in the UEFIs NVRAM (e.g. make entry “Boot0004” to be the first one in the “BootOrder”)”. Nope. Running that efibootmgr command actually deletes the entry and doesn’t move it.

Instead of pressing on I just reinstalled the system a second time, but the system keeps booting windows.

Is anyone familiar with this situation that can point me in the right direction?

On Mon 05 Feb 2018 12:06:02 AM CST, steveo88 wrote:

Bios boot settings are set to secure and uefi. I installed the iso to a
USB drive and I got to the boot menu. Selected install and went through
the installation process. Once complete the system rebooted.
Unfortunately the system keeps booting into windows and at no point am I
able to choose opensuse. I tried Boot from Hard Disk from within the
installation media and I get a “error: no such device:
/efi/boot/fallback.efi”.

Tried following the thread below without success, but the fault might
have been on my end.
Repair a broken UEFI/GRUB2/openSUSE boot scenario - Forums Feedback - openSUSE Forums

In particular item #19 from that thread gave this code “efibootmgr -b
0004 -B” with the description “Changes the bootsequence stored in the
UEFIs NVRAM (e.g. make entry “Boot0004” to be the first one in the
“BootOrder”)”. Nope. Running that efibootmgr command actually deletes
the entry and doesn’t move it.

Instead of pressing on I just reinstalled the system a second time, but
the system keeps booting windows.

Is anyone familiar with this situation that can point me in the right
direction?

Hi
What HP hardware (Model Number)?

If you press F9 after power on to get to the boot menu, do you see the
openSUSE EFI entry listed? If not do you have an option to boot from an
efi file?

If you press F10 and get into the BIOS and go to the boot part, can you
see the openSUSE EFI entry and can you move it to the first position
(F5/F6).

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.3|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.104-39-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

HP 15-f233wm is the model.

After pressing F9 I have 3 options: opensuse, opensuse-secureboot, and windows boot manager. I also have an option to boot from efi file. Selecting the opensuse option just goes to windows. Selecting opensuse-secureboot does bring me the grub menu and from there I can select opensuse. This boots the system fine.

Rebooting the computer again I pressed F10 to get to bios. Under System Configuration -> UEFI Boot Order there’s the option OS boot Manager. Pressed enter and I moved opensuse-secure to the top of the list, saving with F10. F10 to save and exit out of bios. Now I get the grub menu where I can select opensuse or windows. This is great. Is uefi booting easier with modern laptops? This is quite a headache to deal with!

Thank you!

Hi
It is once you figure out the quirks, this is normal for HP systems if dual booting… older HP UEFI setups can be a bit hit and miss in my experiences with HP ProBook 4xxx series…