Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LEAP42.1, Leap42.3 - Wifi network unassociated (but iwlist scan works)

Default LEAP42.1, Leap42.3 - Wifi network unassociated (but iwlist scan works)

After upgrading from OpenSuse 41.2 to v42.3, I encountered some problems and the latest of them is the loss of wireless communication. The computer is only connected via this wifi dongle.
    I had it running, until I performed the latest updates. After updates, the Wifi didn't work and I could not configure it. I used to configure it through Yast Network Settings (Wicked Service).

I use a USB wifi dongle, RTL8191SU (the name recognised by OpenSuse is the same as in Windows).
    Now I downgraded to OpenSuse 42.1 and I am still not able to use the network. The results presented below are the same for OpenSuse 42.3.

- iwlist scan can identify the ESSID of my network

- lsusb shows:
    Bus003 Device 004: ID 0bda:8172 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8191SU 802.11n WLAN Adapter

- dmesg | less shows:
    New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=8172
    New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
    Product: RTL8191S WLAN Adapter
    Manufacturer: Realtek
    SerialNumber: 00e04c000001

- iwconfig:
    wlan0 - unassociated Nickname: "rtl_wifi"
    Mode: Managed Access Point: Not-Associated Sensitivity: 0/0
    Retry: off RTS thr: off Fragment thr: off
    Encryption key: off
    Power Management: off
    Link Quality: 0 Signal Level: 0 Noise Level: 0
    Rx invalid nwid: 0 Rx invalid crypt: 0 Rx invalid frag: 0
    Tx excessive retries: 0 Invalid misc: 0 Missed beacon: 0

- iwlist scan
    wlan0 Scan completed:
    ... Cell 08 Address: E8:DE:27:89:0d:88 (I changed some values)
    ESSID: MyNetwork
    Protocol: 802.11bgn
    Mode: Master
    Frequency: 2.462 GHz (channel 11)
    Encryption key: on
    Bit rates: many
    Extra: wpa_ie=dd1a00...
    IE: WPA Version 1
    Group Cipher: TKIP
    Extra: rsn_ie=30180...
    IE: WPA Version 1
    Signal Level: 76/100

Under Hardware Information, it shows Kernel Driver: 8712u

I am able to ping the static IP I assigned to the Wifi dongle (192.168.1.12) but I can't ping the router and DNS (192.168.1.1). It gives error Destination Host Unreachable

I've seen many people indicating their wlan0 is unassociated, and I suspect the problem is related to this. I tried all kind of command line commands, such as "ifconfig wlan0 up", "iwconfig wlan0 txpower auto", etc

Blog Entries

Default Re: LEAP42.1, Leap42.3 - Wifi network unassociated (but iwlist scan works)

Quote Originally Posted by NickFi View Post
    After upgrading from OpenSuse 41.2 to v42.3, I encountered some problems and the latest of them is the loss of wireless communication. The computer is only connected via this wifi dongle.
    I had it running, until I performed the latest updates. After updates, the Wifi didn't work and I could not configure it. I used to configure it through Yast Network Settings (Wicked Service).
    1. Do you have the kernel-firmware package installed?
    2. Any firmware errors?
    Code:
    dmesg|egrep "r8712u|firmware"
    Assuming that the above checks out, move on to the following...
    3. You're definitely using wicked to manage your wireless network connection?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status network
    4. Open a terminal and monitor the journal with
    Code:
    sudo journalctl -f
    then in another terminal do (as root)
    Code:
    ifdown wlan0;ifup wlan0
    That should help track down any connection-related issues.

Default Re: LEAP42.1, Leap42.3 - Wifi network unassociated (but iwlist scan works)

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    1. Do you have the kernel-firmware package installed?
    2. Any firmware errors?
    Code:
    dmesg|egrep "r8712u|firmware"
    Code:
    usb 3-4: r8712u: Loading firmware from "/rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin"
    usb 1-1.2: r8712u: Loading firmware from "/rtlwifi/rtl8712u.bin" (this line appeared after I moved the dongle to another usb port)
    Assuming that the above checks out, move on to the following...
    3. You're definitely using wicked to manage your wireless network connection?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status network
    Code:
    wicked.service - wicked managed network interfaces
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/wicked.service; enabled)
    Active: active (exited) since Fri 2018-02-02; 10 min ago
    Process: 4408 ExecReload=/usb/sbin/wicked --systemd ifreload all (code=exited, status=0, success)
    Main PID: 971 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
    wlan0   up
    4. Open a terminal and monitor the journal with
    Code:
    sudo journalctl -f
    then in another terminal do (as root)
    Code:
    ifdown wlan0;ifup wlan0
    That should help track down any connection-related issues.
    I get:
    Code:
    ifdown wlan0;ifup wlan0
    wlan0 device-ready
    wlan0 up
    In second terminal, I can see one type of warnings. All the other messages are just info. Because I am typing the messages from keyboard on another computer, I won't display all of them.
    Code:
    NetworkManager: <warn> Connection disconnected (reason -14)

Blog Entries

In second terminal, I can see one type of warnings. All the other messages are just info. Because I am typing the messages from keyboard on another computer, I won't display all of them.
    Code:
    NetworkManager: <warn> Connection disconnected (reason -14)
    Your using NetworkManager concurrently with wicked? That can cause issues. Check with

Code:
    systemctl status NetworkManager
    If necessary, stop it and disable it
    Code:
    sudo systemctl stop NetworkManager
    Code:
    sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager
    then try connecting with wicked again.

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    Your using NetworkManager concurrently with wicked? That can cause issues. Check with

Code:
    If necessary, stop it and disable it
    Code:
    sudo systemctl stop NetworkManager
    Code:
    sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager
    then try connecting with wicked again.
    Thanks. At some stage I wanted to try using NetworkManager and I probably had both wicked and NetworkManager running at the same time.
    I stopped and disabled NetworkManager.
    Now, I get:

Code:
    NetworkManager,service - Network Manager
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager, service; disabled)
    Active: inactive (dead)

systemctl status wicked
    wicked, service - wicked managed network interface
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/wicked.service; enabled)
    Active: active (Exited)
    Process: 966 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/wicked --systemd ifup all (code=exited, status=0,SUCCESS)
    Main PID: 966 (code: exited, status=0;SUCCESS)
    CGroup: /system/slice/wicked.service
    wicked[966]: lo   up
    wicked[966]: wlan0    up

iwconfig
    em1  - no wireless extensions
    lo - no wireless extentions
    wlan0 - unassociated Nickname: "rtl_wifi"
    Mode: managed Access Point: Not-Associated  Sensitivity:0/0
    When I ping the IP assigned to wlan0, it responds. But for the gateway, it reports network unreachable.
    I moved the computer to another room, where I have the router and I configured the ethernet board. I am running the updates now, hopefully after this step, I will be able to get the wireless running.

Blog Entries

Thanks. At some stage I wanted to try using NetworkManager and I probably had both wicked and NetworkManager running at the same time.
    I stopped and disabled NetworkManager.
    Good. FWIW, I prefer NM as I'm using a laptop that moves between lots of different network environments, so I have several network connection profiles to choose from.

When I ping the IP assigned to wlan0, it responds.
    That's irrelevant as you've assigned a static IP address to this network interface, so you'll be able to ping it regardless of the wifi connection status.

I moved the computer to another room, where I have the router and I configured the ethernet board. I am running the updates now, hopefully after this step, I will be able to get the wireless running.
    Not sure about that, but report back when you're done.

Blog Entries

Since you're using wicked, you should have a network config file ifcfg-wlan0 present. Can you please share that with us?
    Code:
    cat /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0

Blog Entries

Also, can you scan for wireless networks ok? Either of the following commands should work:

Code:
    sudo iwlist wlan0 scanning
    Code:
    sudo iw dev wlan0 scan

I am able to ping the static IP I assigned to the Wifi dongle (192.168.1.12) but I can't ping the router and DNS (192.168.1.1). It gives error Destination Host Unreachable

I've seen many people indicating their wlan0 is unassociated, and I suspect the problem is related to this. I tried all kind of command line commands, such as "ifconfig wlan0 up", "iwconfig wlan0 txpower auto", etc
    Just a suggestion, because to me it sounds like a router configuration issue:

Check and doublecheck your router settings. Make sure access to its DNS actually IS set to 192.168.1.1

Check very carefully for config typos.

If it is, also check that 192.168.1.12 is in the assigned DNS range, and is included in the Wireless DNS range.

And ...

Try with and without Wireless Encryption.

Since you can see it with a iwlist scan, you can probably assume your dongle is working properly.

And, if you have additional devices connecting to your router, make sure one of them has not grabbed the .....12 address already.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Just a suggestion, because to me it sounds like a router configuration issue:

Check and doublecheck your router settings. Make sure access to its DNS actually IS set to 192.168.1.1

Check very carefully for config typos.
    The OP has been quite clear that they cannot associate with the AP, and the output shared so far confirms that.

Since you can see it with a iwlist scan, you can probably assume your dongle is working properly.
    No, it is not associated.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast