Thread: Firewalld service does not start on boot

Default Firewalld service does not start on boot

The firewalld service is configured for the necessary ports I use, enabled, started but on each reboot I find that the service is not started. Is this behavior considered normal?
    And I am exposed to the outside world threats. By-the-way, why SuSEFirewall2 was replaced with this firewalld s*** ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Firewalld service does not start on boot

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroG View Post
    The firewalld service is configured for the necessary ports I use, enabled, started but on each reboot I find that the service is not started. Is this behavior considered normal?
    What does the following show?
    Code:
    sudo systemctl status firewalld
    And I am exposed to the outside world threats. By-the-way, why SuSEFirewall2 was replaced with this firewalld s*** ?
    There are a number of existing threads discussing this topic....
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ight=firewalld
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...51#post2852651
    https://forums.opensuse.org/showthre...ight=firewalld

Blog Entries

BTW, what is your inferred objection with using firewalld?

Maybe a firewall should be 100% reliable?

In YaST -> Services Manager firewalld is enabled and active, I can enter the config tool via YaST, but

Code:
    [sudo] password for root: 
    ● firewalld.service
       Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
       Active: inactive (dead)
    On 4 machines I checked, 2 have this unbelievable status, 2 are up and running. 50% chance for having a firewall...

That's not how a firewall works.
    Kind regards

raspu

Ok, I found a solution for the problem - and it was SuSEfirewall2 service, after I disabled SuSEfirewall2.service the firewalld service works as expected.
    Therefore it is an inconsistency in SuSEfirewall2 to firewalld replacement procedure.

What about SuSEfirewall2 - to me it was much more intuitive and trustworthy to use from a common user perspective than firewalld and its moronic interface - both gui & cmd, moreover that in addition cli is removed at ver 0.5

Quote Originally Posted by suse_rasputin View Post
    Maybe a firewall should be 100% reliable?

In YaST -> Services Manager firewalld is enabled and active, I can enter the config tool via YaST, but

Code:
    [sudo] password for root: 
    ● firewalld.service
       Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
       Active: inactive (dead)
    On 4 machines I checked, 2 have this unbelievable status, 2 are up and running. 50% chance for having a firewall...

That's not how a firewall works.
    I get the idea that you are hijacking other one's thread. But when you have four systems, do you mind in confirming that all four have the same version of openSUSE? After all we are ins a transition state moving from SuSEfirewall2 to firewalld, so e.g. Leap42.3 and older Tumbleweeds will still not have firewalld at all.
    Henk van Velden

OK, my last reply in this thread: Yes, all 4 have been updated the last week and manually switched to firewalld, as described in the other thread linked above.

Unbelievable.
    Kind regards

raspu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroG View Post
    Ok, I found a solution for the problem - and it was SuSEfirewall2 service, after I disabled SuSEfirewall2.service the firewalld service works as expected.
    Therefore it is an inconsistency in SuSEfirewall2 to firewalld replacement procedure.
    Yes, it is necessary to stop and disable SuSEfirewall2 before enabling/starting firewalld. It was a deliberate decision to leave the original firelwall in place (for obvious security/administrative reasons) until the administrator decides to invoke the changes.

What about SuSEfirewall2 - to me it was much more intuitive and trustworthy to use from a common user perspective than firewalld and its moronic interface - both gui & cmd, moreover that in addition cli is removed at ver 0.5
    You would need to ask the developers that question to get a detailed answer, but resources are limited and that often influences these decisions.
    https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00464.html