opensuse update install, no keyboard or mouse access - kde

MY last msi motherboard burned out and is now broken. My very old laptop works with keyboard and mouse. When I use the windows 10 64bit, the keyboard and mouse work. When I tried to do an update install using the opensuse leap 42.3 DVD on the tower system, I have no keyboard or mouse access. I tried to reboot to the installed opensuse, again, no keyboard or mouse access. Need help, else I will have to return this motherboard.

gigabyte ga-970a-ds3p 2014 motherboard

USB keyboard and mouse perhaps?

There is a quirk with the Gigabyte 970/990 series boards (on linux), they require some specific bios settings and an addition to the kernel command line to ensure that the network card, usb2 and usb3 ports, all work as expected.

See this post:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/528858-Gigabyte-GA990FX-Gaming-Motherboard-OpenSUSE-Leap-42-3-USB-2-0-Ports-Non-functional-3-0-Fine?p=2849715#post2849715

Yes, both usb keyboard and mouse. I’v had this problem with some motherboards, bios mouse won’t work. I’d thought of that. I used usb –> PS2 converter for the mouse. It had no effect.

OK… it was just a thought.

Just for information, I’ve a couple of machines with those boards, both have bios version “FD”, and are using logitech K120 USB keyboards and logitech M150 USB laser mice. They’re both working OK, no installation problems, one on Leap 42.3, the other on TW, so I guess there’s nothing inherently wrong with them.

That worked. I was able to use the keyboard and mouse. I tried to do an update install and it said ‘no os’. ?? So, I tried full install after backing up my user folder and that didn’t work. ?? bios boot menu didn’t work either.

I had another error ’ this install is not compatible with you setup before I installed it’

So, went into the bios and moved my linux hard drive to the top of the boot order. My unique hardware setup is the problem. Which is for another topic post.

Thanks to all, everything is working now. :slight_smile: