Leap 15 Beta - Please post any initial comments here

The development version of Leap 15 has reached the Beta testing phase: <https://news.opensuse.org/2018/01/31/opensuse-leap-15-reaches-beta-phase-snapshots/>.

The roadmap is here: <https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Roadmap>.Draft schedule:
February 2018: Beta phase
April/May: RC phase
May: Release

Feel free to use this thread for any initial comments.

The DVD iso is a lot smaller than previous openSUSE versions.

I’ve been testing since alpha releases.

It is mostly all working fine.

“yakuake” is missing. I hope that shows up at some time.

I’ve been installing into an existing encrypted LVM. And that doesn’t quite work. The installer does not create “/etc/crypttab”. The easiest way to deal with this is to prepare your own “crypttab” before the install, and maybe put it in “/home”. Then, during the install (while it is installing packages), use CTRL-ALT-F2 to get a command line. And then copy “crypttab” into place. It will be something like:

cp /mnt/home/crypttab /mnt/etc/.

Then use CTRL-ALT-F7 to return to the graphic screen. If you get this done before it has finished installing all packages, then your install should work. Otherwise it is rescue time for rebuilding the “initrd” after creating “/etc/crypttab”.

Probably because not all packages from Tumbleweed are in yet…

It will.

It has been submitted to 15.0 (automatically) 2 months ago, but the request only got accepted 5 days ago:
https://api.opensuse.org/request/show/554496
Probably slightly missed the last snapshot…

It (yakuake) showed up in Build115.1.

The Yast2-Fonts module is still missing from the Yast Control Center - Build 115.1

The maintainer apparently declined the submission to 15.0, so it will not be in the release. (unless somebody would submit it manually and the maintainer agrees)

What about the comments?

Comments for request 554503 (2) https://build.opensuse.org/user/icon/leaper?size=20 leaper wrote about 2 months ago openSUSE:Factory/yast2-fonts@6 -> openSUSE:Leap:15.0/yast2-fonts
package was in 42.3
the submitted sources are in or accepted for Factory

https://build.opensuse.org/user/icon/lnussel?size=20 lnussel wrote about 2 months ago
The package is required by openQA tests https://openqa.opensuse.org/tests/553479#step/yast2_control_center/56

What about them?

The request is declined. So the package is not and will not be in Leap 15.0.

It is still in Factory, but there won’t be an automatic submission anymore as this one has been declined. And according to the decline reason (“per Petr, no go”), the maintainer (“Petr”) doesn’t want this package in Leap 15.

Btw, “leaper” is just an automatic bot that automatically submits packages from Factory to Leap.

Too bad. I predict that we are going to have a lot of inquiries about it.

Is the SuSE release going to have it? If not this information should be added to the release notes. Yes?

When the qtcurve-qt5 package is installed. Navigate to Configure Desktop
and Application Style. Select Qtcurve and click on the Config button as this crashes systemsettings5.

I’ve submitted a bug report sometime ago. They communicated that it was resolved upstream.

Feel free to file a bug report in time to include a paragraph about that in the release notes (I suppose there are no release notes yet currently).

I’ll reboot into Leap 15 and will submit it asap.

Can you point to your bug report?

Apparently it is not fixed upstream yet.
Leap 15.0 does have the latest available version, the same as Tumbleweed.

???
Wouldn’t you rather want to wait for a possible reply to your mail on the opensuse-factory mailinglist first?

The release is still over 3 months away…

Do I need to use

zypper dup

to upgrade Leap 15 for now, since it’s sort of rolling?
After using zypper dup I’m not getting any updates anymore (and since this is beta, I expect a lot of them). Trying zypper dup or zypper up I also get this message:

Repository 'openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update' appears to be outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server.

I also experience the following problem.
When I use network share (via secondary Wifi adapter) and logged in Wayland session, after my screen goes to sleep (or rather gets locked after 5 min) not only do I lose the shared wifi connection, but I’m not able to wake up the screen again. Did not happen with X.

Also how can I submit a request to include a package and/or upgrade a package that is already in Leap 15 repo?

Couldn’t save my changes anymore :frowning:

I also experience the following problems:

1. When I use network share (via secondary Wifi adapter) and I’m logged in Wayland session, after my screen goes to sleep (or rather gets locked after 5 min) not only do I lose the shared wifi connection, but I’m not able to wake up the screen again. This does not happen with X.

2. I’m also experiencing sound problems via HDMI. Specifically sometimes it wouldn’t play sound. I have just booted into Leap 15, and the audio is set to “Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output” (like it should be). I’ve also installed pavucontrol and it shows a soundbar moving when I play audio nut it won’t actually play sound. I then closed all programs and tried again, but nothing. Then I unplugged the HDMI and after reconnecting and changing the audio profile back and forth to HDMI it start working again. This happens very frequently, it almost never works out of the box. (Btw, I have the same problem in Leap 42.3 with a different computer, but with that system I blame it on the old 4.4 Kernel since both my systems are Kaby Lake).

Also, how can I submit a request to include a package and/or upgrade a package that is already in Leap 15 repo?

Yes.
Although it’s not strictly necessary, “zypper up” should work as well (except if there are package downgrades, which should rather be the exception than the rule though).

“zypper patch” will not do anything though, as the main repo is rolling until the release, there are no updates in the Update repo.

After using zypper dup I’m not getting any updates anymore (and since this is beta, I expect a lot of them).

Well, if you are fully up-to-date, there are no updates of course.

The development model is similar to Tumbleweed. Updates are tested, and if all tests pass, a new snapshot will be published.
So it’s to be expected to get updates only every couple of days… (maybe once a day)

Trying zypper dup or zypper up I also get this message:

Repository 'openSUSE-Leap-15.0-Update' appears to be outdated. Consider using a different mirror or server.

See above, there are no updates, the repo is empty, and that causes this message.

When I use network share (via secondary Wifi adapter) and logged in Wayland session, after my screen goes to sleep (or rather gets locked after 5 min) not only do I lose the shared wifi connection, but I’m not able to wake up the screen again. Did not happen with X.

Then use X instead? :wink:

Wayland is still somehow experimental.

Also how can I submit a request to include a package and/or upgrade a package that is already in Leap 15 repo?

Submit them on OBS.
But a package has to be in Factory first before it can be submitted to Leap.
Submissions to Factory should still get forwarded to Leap 15 automatically by the bot at the moment.
(new packages probably not, but I’m not sure)

Although you can also submit to Leap 15 manually. (but again, changes have to be in Factory first)

I have a problem with playing .pls and .m3u files in both cmus and moc. Failed to connect error appears. While in cli-vlc the m3u and pls files work without problems. Great looking beta btw :wink:

also are legacy nvidia drivers to be expected only in the RC / Final release or is it possible to get them in the beta (easy way)?
or does the hard way work at least for the legacy 340 ?

Looking at the comment made by ‘lnussel’, I’m wondering if the reason why the YaST2-Fonts module is not being accepted is that, there ain’t enough openQA test cases available for it. Maybe someone can confirm this view.