Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot run OpenLDAP server and client on the same host

Default Cannot run OpenLDAP server and client on the same host

Hi,

I'm upgrading my server from openSUSE-Leap 42.1 to 42.3 and I got issue below when I setup server itself as OpenLDAP server and client.

I configure it as OpenLDAP server for other machines authentication.

Also I configure the machine itself as OpenLDAP client, for Samba use purpose.

And the machine unable to boot with errors below.

If openSUSE-Leap itself only set as either OpenLDAP server or client it is working fine.

Anybody face this issue and how to overcome it?

Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Cannot run OpenLDAP server and client on the same host

Quote Originally Posted by jiunnyik View Post
    And the machine unable to boot with errors below.
    Nothing to be seen.
    Henk van Velden

Hi,

Sorry I have some issue with the hosting.

Can you see below?

Thank you.

Blog Entries

According to what you posted,
    It looks to me that your Internet connection is broken, and because you have Network Manager enabled, various network related Server services are broken.

So,
    Probably a good start is why you're using Network Manager and the type of Internet connection you have which might require NM.
    Possibly the next step could be whether you want to perform that network connectivity on your openSUSE server, although it can save a little bit of money I personally generally separate any kind of special network connectivity from my servers, ie using an ISP recommended gateway device. At the least, deploying essential functionality on more devices makes it easier and more obvious to see what is actually broken.

But if you prefer to build an "everything" server that performs everything, it's possible... but you'll need to recognize that the more functions your Server performs, the more complex it becomes unless you implement things like isolation and virtualization.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by jiunnyik View Post
    Hi,

Sorry I have some issue with the hosting.
    Yes, we can see.

BTW, you can put pictures on https://paste.opensuse.org

(use the Image button right upper).
    Henk van Velden

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    It looks to me that your Internet connection is broken, and because you have Network Manager enabled, various network related Server services are broken.
    Sorry, but I am missing something here. I nowhere see that he said or showed that he is using Network manager.
    On the contrary, in his pictures you can see that wicked is started (and fails).

Now, I am missing a lot of knowledge here (never used LDAP) and I only posted because of the missing information in the hope that the OP can deliver that 9which he did) so that he can be helped (sort of moderator action to get the helping going). But I also try to learn new things and thus am interested in the logic that you see here and I don't.
    Henk van Velden

So,
    Probably a good start is why you're using Network Manager and the type of Internet connection you have which might require NM.
    Possibly the next step could be whether you want to perform that network connectivity on your openSUSE server, although it can save a little bit of money I personally generally separate any kind of special network connectivity from my servers, ie using an ISP recommended gateway device. At the least, deploying essential functionality on more devices makes it easier and more obvious to see what is actually broken.

But if you prefer to build an "everything" server that performs everything, it's possible... but you'll need to recognize that the more functions your Server performs, the more complex it becomes unless you implement things like isolation and virtualization.

TSU
    It is running wickedd, I didn't switch to NetworkManager.

After several tries, I found the openSUSE Leap 42.3 get broke when I configure the machine with OpenLDAP client + NFS server, with default installation.

Hopefully somebody can guide how to solve this.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Sorry,
    Yes, I see the line "Network Manager is not enabled"
    That's plain and I don't know how I read that differently.

But,
    am not sure why a modem manager is started, and assume that would happen only if regular ethernet was not working properly.

Have you checked basic network connectivity and configuration like pinging other local hosts as well as the Internet?

And, perhaps most importantly, what is the result of the following command?
    Code:
    systemctl status wickedd
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Sorry,
    Yes, I see the line "Network Manager is not enabled"
    That's plain and I don't know how I read that differently.

But,
    am not sure why a modem manager is started, and assume that would happen only if regular ethernet was not working properly.

Have you checked basic network connectivity and configuration like pinging other local hosts as well as the Internet?

And, perhaps most importantly, what is the result of the following command?
    Code:
    systemctl status wickedd
    TSU
    The problem only occur when I configure the machine OpenLDAP client + OpenLDAP server / NFS server.

Before that everything working well including network connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast