clocking HD 7870

Is there any way to modify the gpu and memory speeds on this card with the open source drivers since they are the only ones I have available to me.

It would be quite preferable to be able to maintain the new settings across reboots.

Asus sold the card with a slight overclock and after running it with the proprietary drivers before the card became unsupported which provide for this with the use an open source utility available, I found out I like amd’s reference clocks better.

Hi
That’s a Pitcairn Southern Island card?

/sbin/lspci -nnk |grep VGA

If so you can run the amdgpu driver by enabling it via grub boot settings

si_support=1 cik_support=0

You can tweak/view the clock settings via;

echo auto > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level

cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info
uvd    disabled
vce    disabled
power level 0    sclk: 30000 vddc: 3850

echo high > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level

cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info
uvd    disabled
vce    disabled
power level 4    sclk: 80000 vddc: 4250

Thanks for your reply.

scott@localhost:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk |grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn XT [Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition] [1002:6818]

I’m not already running the amdgpu driver? I have not installed any proprietary drivers in this installation of Tumbleweed. What will it do to the driver I am already running if I execute this command. It works great I don’t want to ruin it.

I’m sorry for my ignorance here but I don’t understand how to use the command to view /tweak you gave me either. Guess I need a little hand holding if you are willing.

Hi
Try;

/sbin/lspci -nnk |grep -A3 VGA

Should show if radeon (I suspect it is) running rather than amdgpu. No need for the proprietary driver…this won’t work for your card anyway…

You need to be root user to run the commands… But lets see your driver first. You should have a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-amdgpu.conf file present as well?

scott@localhost:~> /sbin/lspci -nnk |grep -A3 VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Pitcairn XT [R
adeon HD 7870 GHz Edition] [1002:6818]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:042f]
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

10-amdgpu.conf:

Section “OutputClass”
Identifier “AMDgpu”
MatchDriver “amdgpu”
Driver “amdgpu”
EndSection

Hi
Check that the xf86-video-amdgpu package is installed as well…

So add those boot options in the previous post to the grub kernel boot line (si_support=1 cik_support=0), blacklist the radeon driver and rebuild initrd;

vi /etc/modprobe.d/50-radeon.conf (and add);
blacklist radeon

(save and rebuild initrd);
mkinitrd

Reboot and check the lspci output to see your using the amdgpu driver.

If doesn’t work, remove the blacklist file , rebuild intird and reboot to fallback to the radeon driver.