Thread: Does Klipper interfere with xclip

Default Does Klipper interfere with xclip

Hello,

I have this script:

---
    for f in "$@"; do
    mediainfo "$f" | grep "©xyz" | head -n 1 | while read -r clipboard_original; do
    latitude=${clipboard_original:43:8}
    longitude=${clipboard_original:51:9}
    clipboard_for_digikam_geo=""geo:""${latitude//+}"00000,"${longitude//+}"00000"
    echo "$clipboard_for_digikam_geo" | xclip -selection c
    done
    done
    exit
    ----
    which I used successfully few months ago.
    But it seems to be not working anymore. If I add echo outputs after each line I can see that the script actually works but it does not copy the result to the clipboard as I wanted.

xclip is installed and running.

I haven't seen Klipper before so I thought maybe it interferes with xclip somehow.
    Any ideas?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Does Klipper interfere with xclip

Based only on my observations,
    "The clipboard" is a completely different object than any app that reads and writes to it.

Maybe recommend some simple testing with xclip... write and read some test text manually.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
    I haven't seen Klipper before so I thought maybe it interferes with xclip somehow.
    Sure.
    Klipper is a tool to manage a history of previous clipboard entries, and copy back older ones to the actual clipboard (which is an X11 feature).

But, I think your "confusion" comes from the fact that the "clipboard" and the X11 "selection" are two independent things.
    The one is the current selected text, the other one is only modified if you explicitly choose "Cut" or "Copy" in an application.
    You pass the "-selection" option to xclip, so it does not change the actual clipboard.

klipper has an option to synchronize them though, but that's disabled by default IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Sure.
    Klipper is a tool to manage a history of previous clipboard entries, and copy back older ones to the actual clipboard (which is an X11 feature).

But, I think your "confusion" comes from the fact that the "clipboard" and the X11 "selection" are two independent things.
    The one is the current selected text, the other one is only modified if you explicitly choose "Cut" or "Copy" in an application.
    You pass the "-selection" option to xclip, so it does not change the actual clipboard.

klipper has an option to synchronize them though, but that's disabled by default IIRC.
    I tried all possible combinations of Klipper settings today but it did not change a thing... Will keep digging

Quote Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
    I tried all possible combinations of Klipper settings today but it did not change a thing... Will keep digging
    And did you try to run xclip without the "-selection c" parameter? So that it changes the primary selection instead?