Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Failed upgrade from OpenSuse 42.1 t 42.3 - grub damaged in process

Default Failed upgrade from OpenSuse 42.1 t 42.3 - grub damaged in process

I have a computer with Windows 10 and I was also running OpenSuse 41.2 (I can't edit the title of the thread).
    I decided to upgrade OpenSuse to 42.3 and I created a bootable flash disk.
    I booted from flash disk by selecting UEFI BOOT. The upgrade went smoothly, but after that, the computer could not boot in OpenSuse 42.3.
    I was still able to select the previous version of OpenSuse and Windows and they were both working fine.
    I attempted to reconfigure grub from YAST and it went from bad to worse. At one stage it was showing errors "can't find linuxefi" and "can't find initrdefi".
    When I try to check the integrity of the medium, it shows a red message "This is not a openSuse Leap 42.3 medium".

At the moment, when I start the computer, it goes to Welcome to Grub! followed by "error: file /normal.mod not found" and the grub rescue prompt.

I don't care too much about the OpenSuse installation, I only care not to destroy the Windows installation.
    If I try to install OpenSuse 42.3, the suggested partitioning it offers to delete the Windows partition. Really??? The edit proposals don't seem to offer a way to spare Windows. It's a confusing system...

The hard disk has the following partitions:
    /dev/sda 931 GB ST1000DX001 - 1NS1
    /dev/sda1 156 MB EFI boot FAT
    /dev/sda2 2GB Linux Swap Swap
    /dev/sda3 40 GB Linux Native BtrFS
    /dev/sda4 889 GB Linux Native XFS

If I go through the instructions for grub rescue, I performed
    set boot=(hd0,msdos6)
    set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub2
    insmod normal
    normal
    it raises error "/normal.mod" not found.

If I try set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub and the rest, it raises error "boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod not found"

What should I do at this stage?

Default Re: Failed upgrade from OpenSuse 42.1 t 42.3 - grub damaged in process

Quote Originally Posted by NickFi View Post
    I have a computer with Windows 10 and I was also running OpenSuse 41.2 (I can't edit the title of the thread).
    I decided to upgrade OpenSuse to 42.3 and I created a bootable flash disk.
    I booted from flash disk by selecting UEFI BOOT. The upgrade went smoothly, but after that, the computer could not boot in OpenSuse 42.3.
    I was still able to select the previous version of OpenSuse and Windows and they were both working fine.
    It is not clear to me what you actually did to "upgrade" the 41.2 OS: did you choose "Upgrade System" and selected the proper 41.2 system to upgrade after booting the flash disk?
    How can you assure that "the upgrade went smoothly"? If afterwards you were able to select and boot the previous 41.2 system, the upgrade was actually NOT smooth at all.
    Please be aware that an upgrade from 41.2 to 42.3 is not guaranteed to work, even if it might work with some configurations. Only an upgrade from a fully updated 42.2 to 42.3 is guaranteed to work (and indeed it worked here).

At this point I would suggest a fresh installation of 42.3 on top of the existing openSuse system; you should be able to do that by selecting the "Expert partitioner" when asked to review the default partitioning (which with an already full disk would indeed suggest to wipe the Win* system).
    Feel free to ask here if you need further advice.
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

II only care not to destroy the Windows installation.
    The hard disk has the following partitions:
    Code:
    /dev/sda 931 GB ST1000DX001 - 1NS1
    /dev/sda1 156 MB EFI boot FAT
    /dev/sda2 2GB Linux Swap Swap
    /dev/sda3 40 GB Linux Native BtrFS
    /dev/sda4 889 GB Linux Native XFS
    There is no Windows installation on this disk.

If I go through the instructions for grub rescue,
    Which instructions?
    I performed
    Code:
    set boot=(hd0,msdos6)
    GRUB itself does not use "boot" variable. Where have you got instructions to set it?
    Code:
    set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub2
    Your listing above shows only 4 partitions. Partition msdos6 simply does not exist. Why you think you should use this partition?
    If I try set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub and the rest, it raises error "boot/grub/i386-pc/normal.mod not found"

This implies that you have booted in legacy BIOS mode. May be this is the reason? EFI bootloader was updated but you now boot using some leftover from legacy BIOS bootloader? Check your BIOS settings, make sure you do use EFI.

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    It is not clear to me what you actually did to "upgrade" the 41.2 OS: did you choose "Upgrade System" and selected the proper 41.2 system to upgrade after booting the flash disk?
    How can you assure that "the upgrade went smoothly"? If afterwards you were able to select and boot the previous 41.2 system, the upgrade was actually NOT smooth at all.
    Please be aware that an upgrade from 41.2 to 42.3 is not guaranteed to work, even if it might work with some configurations. Only an upgrade from a fully updated 42.2 to 42.3 is guaranteed to work (and indeed it worked here).

At this point I would suggest a fresh installation of 42.3 on top of the existing openSuse system; you should be able to do that by selecting the "Expert partitioner" when asked to review the default partitioning (which with an already full disk would indeed suggest to wipe the Win* system).
    Feel free to ask here if you need further advice.
    Yes, I booted from the flash disk and I selected to upgrade the Operating System. When I said the upgrade went smoothly I meant that I selected the default options recommended by installation and all the packages were installed, without any errors. I use a wifi USB network and I could not get that to work (it does not find any networks). It happened in the past as well. I usually take care of network after the system installs.
    From the fact that I was not able to boot after upgrade, indeed the update was not smooth. But it appeared so during the installation.

I would not mind losing the previous OpenSuse installation. The more serious matter is that it altered grub in a way that did not allow the system to boot correctly. It is my fault for not understanding the difference between legacy booting and efi booting. My computer was configured in bios with legacy settings, and when I booted the flash disk it was using EFI settings.

The good part was that in the beginning I was still able to boot in Windows and previous version of OpenSuse, but I did not have enough knowledge to reconfigure grub2. What is worse is that I thought grub is something decently simple, that can be fixed quite easily. It may be the case, after one gets a PhD in grub theory

The expert partitioner is terribly confusing. In the suggested partitioning, it offers to delete the Window partition at /dev/sda2 (500 GB). When I go in Expert Partitioner, it shows partition /dev/sda2 as Linux swap with a size of 2 GB. And the Windows partition is not even listed. The more I dig into Expert partitioner, the more confusing is getting. At least the name for it is properly chosen - to be used by experts...
    I wish there were a simple alternative such as "do whatever you wish to any linux partitions, but spare the Windows partition"...

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    There is no Windows installation on this disk.

Which instructions?

GRUB itself does not use "boot" variable. Where have you got instructions to set it?

Your listing above shows only 4 partitions. Partition msdos6 simply does not exist. Why you think you should use this partition?

This implies that you have booted in legacy BIOS mode. May be this is the reason? EFI bootloader was updated but you now boot using some leftover from legacy BIOS bootloader? Check your BIOS settings, make sure you do use EFI.
    I am sorry, it was a typo in my post (should have been root, not boot). I used the instructions from here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1195...own-filesystem. It happened that on my system (hd0, msdos6) is the contains the linux directories.
    I don't know what's the difference between /dev/sda and (hd0, msdos6). All I know is that I've seen both /dev/sda, /dev/sda1, ..., /dev/sda4 but also (hd0, msdos6) and (hd0, msdos7) and when I run ls (hd0, msdos6) I could see the Linux directories.

My computer was set in legacy BIOS mode. When after upgrade the computer failed to boot and I went to reconfigure grub in YAST, I tried all kind of things and eventually I selected EFI. I can't remember much of what it was in there, except that it went from bad to worse. I did not touch the BIOS settings until today,when I changed from legacy to EFI - but it didn't help, the grub is compromised.
    Because of this, probably my best best chance now (suitable to my knowledge) is to reinstall Windows and then do a clean installation of Linux on it. Or install Linux on a separate external hard drive, where it can't cause damage to Windows...

ls
    ls (hd0,msdos6)/
    set root=(hd0,msdos6)
    ls /
    set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub
    insmod /boot/grub/linux.mod
    normal

Because of this, probably my best best chance now (suitable to my knowledge) is to reinstall Windows and then do a clean installation of Linux on it.
    Yes, that would be best. But, come back here for more instructions or help to get you through the install process without disaster.

Or install Linux on a separate external hard drive, where it can't cause damage to Windows...
    It won't cause damage to Windows if you make sure, in the expert partitioner, to not let the install touch your Windows partition(s). But, you need to get more specific instructions when you proceed.

So, start out by re-installing your Windows, then come back here for more instructions before installing openSUSE.

lottsa luck
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

Can someone confirm that if we create a bootable flash disk, the integrity test fails?
    I downloaded the ISO file and I run the SHA256 checksum and it matches the expected value (195baca6c5f3b7f3ad4d7984a7f7bd5c4a37be2eb67e58b65d07ac3a2b599e83).

After using Rufus to create the bootable flash, when I test it, it shows the message: "This is not a OpenSuse Leap 42.3 medium"

I recreated the flash disk two times and both times it shows the same warning.

Yes checksums fail on USB device because differences in end of file padding ie sector sizes

Also Rufus may change the image unless the binary option is used but even then the checksum will fail.

In any case there is much less chance for copy error with USB versus CD/DVD which can intrinsically have bad or week spots

I reinstalled an older version of OpenSuse (13.1) because that was the only DVD I had around. I could not find a more recent one. That version did not offer to wipe out my Windows 10 partition and after installation, I was able to view the files from Windows partition. I still could not boot in Windows. I downloaded the installation kit OpenSuse 42.1 and I burnt a DVD. I installed OpenSuse v42.1 (which also spared my Windows) and I did all the system updates. Now Grub2 is working, I am allowed to choose between Linux and Windows. The problem I have is that although I can see all the folders from Windows, when I try to start Windows, it fails with the error "inaccessible boot device".

- Grub offers me the following boot choices:
    - OpenSUSE Leap 42.1
    - Advanced options for openSUSE Leap 42.1
    - Windows 10 (loader) (on /dev/sda1)
    - Windows 10 (loader) (on /dev/sda2)
    - Start bootloader from a read-only snapshot.

If I start Windows from /dev/sda1, it indicated "Preparing Automatic repair" and I am offered the options to

- Troubleshoot (reset your PC or see advanced options).
    - Turn Off your PC

If I start Windows from /dev/sda2, it also fails the booting.

I selected to boot from /dev/sda1 and I chose a System Restore. It found a restore point from a few days ago. After system restoration, the computer shows "BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". Nothing works anymore, now I have no Linux and no Windows... It's like trying to fit in the same cage a tiger and a lion, they try to kill each other.

It looks like every step ahead is followed by three steps back...

...My computer was set in legacy BIOS mode. When after upgrade the computer failed to boot and I went to reconfigure grub in YAST, I tried all kind of things and eventually I selected EFI. I can't remember much of what it was in there, except that it went from bad to worse. I did not touch the BIOS settings until today,when I changed from legacy to EFI - but it didn't help, the grub is compromised.
    Because of this, probably my best best chance now (suitable to my knowledge) is to reinstall Windows and then do a clean installation of Linux on it. Or install Linux on a separate external hard drive, where it can't cause damage to Windows...
    Don't rush to the Win* installer, if you are still able to boot your existing Win* (maybe by the leftover Grub from 41.2...) the Win* install was left untouched by the failed upgrade process (as expected by any "smooth" upgrade).
    Likely, you only need to overwrite the 41.2 openSUSE install or redo the upgrade the proper way.
    But, as arvidjaar already pointed out...
    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post

so please make sure to use for the installer the same boot process (EFI or legacy) that the existing Win* uses: that will choose which type of GRUB (legacy or GRUB for EFI) the installer is going to install or upgrade, since apparently at the moment you have both on your disk.
    It would also help to see the output of fdisk and/or gdisk (to be run as superuser) to see if you are mixing MBR and GPT partition tables (might explain why you see no Win* partition with your current GRUB and the expert partitioner looks confused):
    Code:
    > su -
    <root password>
    # fdisk -l sda

# gdisk -l /dev/sda

OOOPS... too late, I see you already did three steps ahead.
    It would still help to see the output of fdisk and/or gdisk since you should not see Win* on sda1 AND sda2, then make sure any openSUSE upgrade/install is done with the same boot process as the current (likely still undamaged) Win*.
    And yes, it is like putting a lion and a tiger, but while Win* tries to kill any Linux on disk, openSUSE doesn't try to kill any other operating system unless instructed to do so.
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast