Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: KDE windows won't open at the same time

  1. #1

    Question KDE windows won't open at the same time

    I have firefox open in full screen when I try to open a terminal window. It closes firefox. I need both on the screen at once. I never set this config option,. How do I fix this?

    I can't find the option.Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Belleville, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    503

    Default Re: KDE windows won't open at the same time

    How do you go about opening a terminal if you have firefox in full screen?
    "Making rich people richer doesn't make the rest of us richer." Ha-Joon Chang
    openSUSE 15.1 4.12.14-lp151.28.16-default x64

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: KDE windows won't open at the same time

    Quote Originally Posted by kerijan2003 View Post
    How do you go about opening a terminal if you have firefox in full screen?
    Me, too, wonders this -- from the other end (BC).
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

  4. #4

    Default Re: KDE windows won't open at the same time

    I open a terminal window from dolphin. I open firefox full screen. On the task bar, I click on terminal window. Firefox closes and terminal window opens.

    I changed the terminal window to 'always on top'. That seems to have fixed the problem. The default window behavior has changed between 42.2 and 42.3

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    4,029

    Default Re: KDE windows won't open at the same time

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    I open firefox full screen.
    Oh, do you mean you open Firefox maximized? That is a completely different matter.

    Fullscreen (there is no task bar showing, then), the only way I know to do it is to start the console, then put Firefox to full screen, then Alt-Tab to get the console showing above it.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,557

    Question Re: KDE windows won't open at the same time

    Quote Originally Posted by lord_valarian View Post
    I have firefox open in full screen when I try to open a terminal window. It closes firefox. I need both on the screen at once.
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you're using Firefox with F11 (Full screen) [Assuming that, my translation from German is correct] and the KDE Plasma Panel (task bar) is not visible.

    Is the KDE Konsole also in F11 (Full screen) mode?

    What's your KDE setting with respect to Window behaviour and Mouse contact?
    Mine is set to "Focus Follows Mouse - Mouse Precedence".

    Yes, in 'F11 mode' the KDE windows can only be selected by "<Alt-Tab>" and, the Plasma toolbox is not accessible and, I have to start the application launcher by hitting the "Tux Key".

    I have a Cherry CyMotion Linux keyboard -- there is **no** Microsoft visible -- the "Windows key" has a Tux symbol . . .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    3,234

    Default Re: KDE windows won't open at the same time

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    I have a Cherry CyMotion Linux keyboard -- there is **no** Microsoft visible -- the "Windows key" has a Tux symbol . . .
    And now I want one of those... :-(

  8. #8

    Default Re: KDE windows won't open at the same time

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser_Bell View Post
    Oh, do you mean you open Firefox maximized? That is a completely different matter.

    Fullscreen (there is no task bar showing, then), the only way I know to do it is to start the console, then put Firefox to full screen, then Alt-Tab to get the console showing above it.
    My terminology is incorrect, Yes, maximized, shows the task bar.

  9. #9

    Default Re: KDE windows won't open at the same time

    Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    If I'm understanding you correctly, you're using Firefox with F11 (Full screen) [Assuming that, my translation from German is correct] and the KDE Plasma Panel (task bar) is not visible.

    Is the KDE Konsole also in F11 (Full screen) mode?

    What's your KDE setting with respect to Window behaviour and Mouse contact?
    Mine is set to "Focus Follows Mouse - Mouse Precedence".

    Yes, in 'F11 mode' the KDE windows can only be selected by "<Alt-Tab>" and, the Plasma toolbox is not accessible and, I have to start the application launcher by hitting the "Tux Key".
    I have a Cherry CyMotion Linux keyboard -- there is **no** Microsoft visible -- the "Windows key" has a Tux symbol . . .
    I'll look into "Focus Follows Mouse - Mouse Precedence". My setting for terminal windows changed to 'window always on top', default behavior is to close previous window if you click on the task bar. Thanks for the information.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,557

    Default Re: KDE windows won't open at the same time

    Two comments to Firefox in F11 (Full Screen) mode:
    • If you push the mouse to the top of the screen, then you can choose between Firefox tabs.
    • Accessing the Firefox menus by means of <Alt> doesn't work -- you have to exit the F11 mode (press F11).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •