Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zypper dup failure: file conflict loop

Default Zypper dup failure: file conflict loop

Today I tried to zypper dup from Tumblweed 20180109-0 to 20180114-0. The command stalled at 'Checking for file conflicts' for about five minutes (as it has before), then began spitting out file conflict messages. I stopped the scrolling messages with Ctrl-S, took a photo of the screen, will hand-copy one representative message:

Code:
    File/usr/src/linux-4.14.12-1/Documentation/ABI/obsolete/sysfs-bus-usb
         from install of
              kernel-source-4.14.12-1.8.noarch (Main Repository (OSS))
         conflicts with file from package
              kernel-source-4.14.12-1.5.noarch (OSystem)
    (FWIW: Uname-r says that my current kernel is 4.14.12-1-default)

A half-hour later, I returned to the computer, found these file conflict messages still endlessly looping. I took another photo,hand copy another representative message:

Code:
    File/usr/src/linux-4.14.12-1/arch/arm/boot/dts/sama5d3_lcd.dtsl
         from install of
              kernel-source-4.14.12-1.8.noarch (Main Repository (OSS))
              kernel-source-4.14.12-1.4.noarch (OSystem)
    I shut down the system, used Clonezilla to restore 20180109-0 so I could use my computer and write this message.

I've used Tumblweed since the summer, have regularly zypper dup'd in the months since, and never before encountered a problem like this. Can anyone suggest a way of dealing with it? Should I wait for a new snapshot to come out, try again? Do something else?

My enabled repositories:

Code:
        PackmanRepository        http://packman.inode.at/suse/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
        openSUSE_Tumblweed        http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
        libdvdcss            http://opensuse-guide.org/repo/openSUSE_Tumbleweed/
        svalx'sHomeProject        http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home/svalx/openSUSE_Tumblweed/
        MainUpdate Repository        http://download.opensuse.org/update/tumbleweed/
        MainRepository (OSS)        http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/oss/
        MainRepository(NON-OSS)    http://download.opensuse.org/tumbleweed/repo/non-oss/
    Thank you!

Default Re: Zypper dup failure: file conflict loop

Some additional information, as I scratch my head over how to deal with this problem:

In /etc/zypp/zypp.conf , I have multiversion.kernels = latest,latest-1,running

In Yast, under Versions for kernel-default, I have, with check marks:

4.14.12-1.5-x86_64 from @System with priority 99 and vendor openSUSE
    4.14.11-1.5-x86_64 from @System with priority 99 and vendor openSUSE

and without check marks:

4.14.12-1.8-x86_64 from Main Repository (OSS) with priority 99 and vendor openSUSE
    4.14.12-1.8-i586 from Main Repository (OSS) with priority 99 and vendor openSUSE

Default AW: Zypper dup failure: file conflict loop

zypper se -si kernel-default
    Please use for that Code-Tags.

What I see is:
    You have installed a Version 4.14.12-1.4, get an Update for Version 4.14.12-1.5, after that you get an Update to 4.14.12-1.8.
    All without a Reboot.

So the Conflicts are normal for me......

I have just tried to update this morning and am seeing exactly the same type of error. I have re-booted just in case but the errors persist.

Code:
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                 | Type    | Version     | Arch   | Repository       
    ---+----------------------+---------+-------------+--------+------------------
    i+ | kernel-default       | package | 4.14.12-1.5 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
    i+ | kernel-default       | package | 4.14.11-1.5 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
    i+ | kernel-default-devel | package | 4.14.12-1.5 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
    i+ | kernel-default-devel | package | 4.14.11-1.5 | x86_64 | (System Packages)

uname -a
    Linux Tumbleweed.Crowhill 4.14.12-1-default #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 5 18:15:55 UTC 2018 (3cf399e) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Lookin at the messages from zypper it does seem a bit of a mess with some saying the kernel update will not be updated but then saying the new kernel package will be installed.

So is there a problem with the updates or is something else wrong on my system?

Stuart

Default Re: AW: Zypper dup failure: file conflict loop

Quote Originally Posted by Sauerland View Post
    Please use for that Code-Tags.

What I see is:
    You have installed a Version 4.14.12-1.4, get an Update for Version 4.14.12-1.5, after that you get an Update to 4.14.12-1.8.
    All without a Reboot.

So the Conflicts are normal for me......

Thanks for the response, Sauerland ... and broadstairs, sorry you're having similar issues.

Sauerland, as you requested:

Code:
    sudo zypper se -si kernel-default
    Loading repository data...
    Reading installed packages...

S  | Name                 | Type    | Version     | Arch   | Repository       
    ---+----------------------+---------+-------------+--------+------------------
    i+ | kernel-default       | package | 4.14.12-1.5 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
    i+ | kernel-default       | package | 4.14.11-1.5 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
    i  | kernel-default-devel | package | 4.14.12-1.5 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
    i  | kernel-default-devel | package | 4.14.11-1.5 | x86_64 | (System Packages)
    FWIW: I have rebooted many times between each zypper dup.

Multiversion between two rebuilds of the same RPM simply is not possible - multiversion relies on different versions installing files in different places, while two rebuilds of the same RPM are exactly the same with respect to file list. zypper should handle it correctly for binary kernel packages by removing older package. It is possible that it does not implement this workaround for kernel-source.

Do you really need kernel-source in the first place? Are you building your own modified kernel from openSUSE kernel sources? What was the reason to install kernel-source?

I just checked and I do not have kernel-source installed but I do see

Code:
    File /usr/share/doc/packages/kernel-source-4.14.12-1/README.SUSE
      from install of
         kernel-devel-4.14.12-1.8.noarch (openSUSE:Tumbleweed)
         kernel-devel-4.14.12-1.4.noarch (@System)

File /usr/share/doc/packages/kernel-source-4.14.12-1/README.SUSE
      from install of
         kernel-devel-4.14.12-1.8.noarch (openSUSE:Tumbleweed)
         kernel-devel-4.14.12-1.5.noarch (@System)
    Stuart

Thank you for joining in, arvidjaar!

I think, but am not sure, that I installed kernel-source either to accommodate the nvidia driver (installed the 'hard way') or VirtualBox. I'm certain that I've had kernel-source installed for a long time.

Yes, I think it is a bug somewhere between zypper and kernel packages (I'm surprised nobody complained before). Compare "zypper install kernel-default" or "zypper install kernel-default-devel" with "zypper install kernel-devel". The former attempts to uninstall existing package together with installation while the latter only installs new one.

May be something was changed in kernel packaging. I'll drop a note on opensuse-kernel list. In the meantime you are free to open bug report

Thanks again, arvidjaar. I had guessed a bug; I haven't done anything unusual between zypper dups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast