Thread: debian builds: alternate rule files etc...?

Default debian builds: alternate rule files etc...?

Hi,

I am trying to package rsyslog via OBS. I need to keep as close to each distros default package as possible. Unfortunately, there are important differences between distros and even distro versions. For RPM-based distros, I think I can work with alternate spec files to come to a good end result.

If I understood the doc right, things are more complicated for debian packages. As far as I understood, I can provide alternate .dsc files. I have checked this, and it works. However, I read the doc so that alternates can NOT be specified for any other of the debian files, like debian.rules. Unfortunately the rules file, as well as many other debian files, need to be different to achieve my goal. Is there any way to do this with OBS or did I just hit a limit that cannot be circumvented?

Any advise is deeply appreciated.

Rainer

Default Re: debian builds: alternate rule files etc...?

Thx for the link. I had read this multiple times, and now I have re-read it again multiple times. I do not get how to do it. I now tried this on one if my subpackages.

I create a new libestr-Debian_9.0.dsc. I then vaguely got the impression that I could change the source to get to Debian-9 specific control files (I did not do this previously). So I changed the source to libestr-Debian_9.0. I then created a Debian_9.0.rules file which was errornous, so that the build should error-abort. I commited, but the new rules file was not taken into account.

The project is hosted here: https://build.opensuse.org/package/s...rhards/libestr

Maybe I am overlooking something obvious, but so far I do not get any idea at all of how I may come to Debian 9 specific control files - those that are prefixed with "debian.".

Any help is deeply appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Rainer

Quoting this link:
    you have to use the alternative method of creating the Debian package
    where alternative method is described in preceding paragraph - instead of individual files you create two tarballs. And then you give these tarballs different names and refer to different tarballs in different dsc files.

Doh! I didn't really get that. It was obviously right in front of me all the time! Thanks for keeping up with me fool :-)

Rainer