Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

  1. #1

    Default smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    Changed internet provider today.

    But now
    Code:
    smb://user@ip-address
    works while
    Code:
    smb://user@host
    does not.

    Is this some king of cache-ing issue? How do I solve this?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,111

    Default Re: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 22:06:01 +0000, ae lex wrote:

    > Changed internet provider today.
    >
    > But now Code:
    > --------------------
    > smb://user@ip-address
    > --------------------
    > works while
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > smb://user@host
    > --------------------
    > does not.
    >
    > Is this some king of cache-ing issue? How do I solve this?


    When you say "does not", can you be more specific about what happens when
    you try to use the hostname?



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  3. #3

    Default Re: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    When you say "does not", can you be more specific about what happens when
    you try to use the hostname?
    When I type into Dolphin's location bar
    Code:
    smb://user@host/directory
    (not literally "user", "host" and "directory" but the applicable names)

    I get

    Code:
    The file or folder smb://user@host/directory does not exist.
    (anonymized, off course)

    Yet when I type into Dolphin's location bar
    Code:
    smb://user@IPaddress/directory/
    (anonymized)

    I get asked for a password and everything works.

    The only thing that changed today was the modem provided by our new internet provider. But I'm only accessing another computer in our house. Yet somehow it cannot resolve the hostname (given that the IP address works).

  4. #4

    Default Re: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    Do you have that hostname registered to that IP address in DNS officially?
    If not, have you some other way told this machine how to resolve
    "hostname" to the proper IP address? Using which protocol?

    Name resolution can work if the protocols are setup to do that, but drop
    two machines on a network, give them IPs and hostnames, and they'll never
    know eachother's hostnames unless they are doing some pretty abnormal
    stuff. Some services, like DNS and DHCP, sometimes work together to make
    this seem normal, but that's not something the boxes themselves do on
    their own as it is facilitated by DHCP and DNS on a third server.

    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below.

    If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
    forum as I do not use the web interface often.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    17,111

    Default Re: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    On Fri, 05 Jan 2018 01:16:01 +0000, ae lex wrote:

    > hendersj;2850031 Wrote:
    >> When you say "does not", can you be more specific about what happens
    >> when you try to use the hostname?

    >
    > When I type into Dolphin's location bar Code:
    > --------------------
    > smb://user@host/directory
    > --------------------
    > (not literally "user", "host" and "directory" but the applicable names)
    >
    > I get
    >
    >
    > Code:
    > --------------------
    > The file or folder smb://user@host/directory does not exist.
    > --------------------
    > (anonymized, off course)
    >
    > Yet when I type into Dolphin's location bar Code:
    > --------------------
    > smb://user@IPaddress/directory/
    > --------------------
    > (anonymized)
    >
    > I get asked for a password and everything works.
    >
    > The only thing that changed today was the modem provided by our new
    > internet provider. But I'm only accessing another computer in our house.
    > Yet somehow it cannot resolve the hostname (given that the IP address
    > works).


    What happens if you ping the host? Does the ping response come back with
    the proper address?

    I do notice that in the first example, you have no trailing "/", but in
    the second, you do. What happens if you add a trailing "/" with the host?



    --
    Jim Henderson
    openSUSE Forums Administrator
    Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

  6. #6

    Default Re: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    Quote Originally Posted by ab View Post
    Do you have that hostname registered to that IP address in DNS officially?
    If not, have you some other way told this machine how to resolve
    "hostname" to the proper IP address? Using which protocol?
    No. It just worked before.

    Quote Originally Posted by ab View Post
    Name resolution can work if the protocols are setup to do that, but drop
    two machines on a network, give them IPs and hostnames, and they'll never
    know eachother's hostnames unless they are doing some pretty abnormal
    stuff. Some services, like DNS and DHCP, sometimes work together to make
    this seem normal, but that's not something the boxes themselves do on
    their own as it is facilitated by DHCP and DNS on a third server.
    In other words, I was lucky with the modem from my previous internet provider?

  7. #7

    Default Re: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    What happens if you ping the host? Does the ping response come back with
    the proper address?
    Pinging the host responds with "ping: unknown host"

    Quote Originally Posted by hendersj View Post
    I do notice that in the first example, you have no trailing "/", but in
    the second, you do. What happens if you add a trailing "/" with the host?
    Doesn't change anything.

  8. #8

    Default Re: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    On 01/05/2018 10:36 AM, ae lex wrote:
    >
    > ab;2850035 Wrote:
    >> Do you have that hostname registered to that IP address in DNS
    >> officially?
    >> If not, have you some other way told this machine how to resolve
    >> "hostname" to the proper IP address? Using which protocol?

    >
    > No. It just worked before.


    If you add the host to your /etc/hosts file now, mapping it to the correct
    address, does it just work again?

    > ab;2850035 Wrote:
    >> Name resolution can work if the protocols are setup to do that, but drop
    >> two machines on a network, give them IPs and hostnames, and they'll
    >> never
    >> know eachother's hostnames unless they are doing some pretty abnormal
    >> stuff. Some services, like DNS and DHCP, sometimes work together to
    >> make
    >> this seem normal, but that's not something the boxes themselves do on
    >> their own as it is facilitated by DHCP and DNS on a third server.

    >
    > In other words, I was lucky with the modem from my previous internet
    > provider?


    I would probably blame a better choice than pure luck; if your previous
    router supported DDNS as part of its DHCP service then that may explain
    things. It is not a critical part of DHCP or DNS to do that, but that
    seems like the most-likely reason.

    --
    Good luck.

    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    show your appreciation and click on the star below.

    If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
    forum as I do not use the web interface often.

  9. #9

    Default Re: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    Checked the modem. Yesterday, it didn't have "device names" for the other computers. Today it does.

  10. #10

    Default Re: smb://user@ip-address works while smb://user@host does not

    Quote Originally Posted by ab View Post
    If you add the host to your /etc/hosts file now, mapping it to the correct
    address, does it just work again?
    That does make it work...until I reboot my computer and the modem assigns another ip address.

    Quote Originally Posted by ab View Post
    I would probably blame a better choice than pure luck; if your previous
    router supported DDNS as part of its DHCP service then that may explain
    things. It is not a critical part of DHCP or DNS to do that, but that
    seems like the most-likely reason.
    Interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •