Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,307

    Default Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    I have a lot of questions about how to repair a broken system. I have already read a lot of things on your forum.
    As I did not want to mix different questions with different answers I am going to open a thread for each subject.

    Before system got broken :
    Code:
    uname -a
    Linux linux-u6go 4.4.104-39-default #1 SMP Thu Jan 4 08:11:03 UTC 2018 (7db1912) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Hardware info : http://paste.opensuse.org/80894240

    Question 1 : When booting from usb stick in UEFI mode, and after choosing "Rescue system", is it possible to have an internet connection to download and install a missing package ?
    I have seen somewhere a command using curl in that situation.
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.2 -- ASUS G731GV KDE leap 15.2 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  2. #2

    Default Re: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    Hi,

    fwiw - why don't you just download DVD image to USB stick and reinstall the system?

    Regards

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    7,105

    Default Re: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    And what exactly is broken?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,681
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    Quote Originally Posted by jcdole View Post
    Question 1 : When booting from usb stick in UEFI mode, and after choosing "Rescue system", is it possible to have an internet connection to download and install a missing package ?
    I just tried that. And I'm not sure how to start the network. I tried running "yast" to configure the network, but it said "command not found".

    So I rebooted. And this time I chose "install" instead of the rescue system.
    After a few screens, it gave me a partitioning proposal.

    At that point, I used CTRL-ALT-F2. And that gave me a root command line. And the network was already up.

    You should be able to do the chroot fix that I mentioned in my answer to your question 4 from there. But maybe the system is already mounted, so perhaps you have to use it where it is already mounted. And you will have to copy "/etc/resolv.conf" into the mounted system, so that it can use DNS when accessing the network.

    It would be easier if you can use the Tumbleweed live rescue CD/DVD (or on a USB). But if you use that, be sure to use the 64-bit version since you are rescuing a 64-bit system.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,681
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    I retried this (on a VM). And after hitting CTRL-ALT-F2, nothing seems to be mounted. But my encrypted LVM had been opened (I had provided the key). So I tested mounting the root file system, the "/boot" file system and "/boot/efi", and that all worked. So I think I could easily do the chroot to fix the system. But remember to copy "/etc/resolv.conf" into the mounted system, so that it can use DNS.

    I don't have anything to actually rescue, so I didn't try more than mounting.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,307

    Default Re: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    And what exactly is broken?
    The why of all this stuff is explain ( tell ) in http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...oot-Question-4
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.2 -- ASUS G731GV KDE leap 15.2 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,307

    Default Re: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I just tried that. And I'm not sure how to start the network. I tried running "yast" to configure the network, but it said "command not found".

    So I rebooted. And this time I chose "install" instead of the rescue system.
    After a few screens, it gave me a partitioning proposal.

    At that point, I used CTRL-ALT-F2. And that gave me a root command line. And the network was already up.
    Nice trick.
    Noted

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    It would be easier if you can use the Tumbleweed live rescue CD/DVD (or on a USB).
    I try to rescue the system from a geckolinux leap 42.2 Live USB.
    Should not be different from using Tumbleweed live rescue ?

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    You should be able to do the chroot fix ....
    This leads me to a new question :
    If I boot from a live USB, when the startup is finished, may I do some chroot fix the same way as if I was booting in rescue mode ?
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.2 -- ASUS G731GV KDE leap 15.2 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago suburbs
    Posts
    15,681
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    Quote Originally Posted by jcdole View Post
    The why of all this stuff is explain ( tell ) in http://forums.opensuse.org/showthrea...oot-Question-4
    I'm assuming that Question 4 is the real issue.

    I think I gave enough details in my earlier answer to that.

    To summarize:

    Boot to the rescue system.
    When you see the partitioning proposal, use CTRL-ALT-F2
    which should give you are root shell.

    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    should show that you have a network connection. If not, then no point in continuing.

    Mount your root partition at "/mnt"
    If there is a "/boot" partition, mount that at "/mnt/boot"
    Mount your EFI partition at "/mnt/boot/efi"
    (Optional) Mount your home partition at "/mnt/home"
    Do the three --bind mounts that I mentioned in my earlier answer to question 4.
    Code:
    cp /etc/resolv.conf  /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
    Code:
    chroot /mnt
    You should now be able to install a kernel. Either use zypper, or start a command line yast to install.

    I'm pretty sure that the kernel install will also update your bootloader.

    Exit from the chroot environment.
    Unmount what you mounted
    Code:
    umount -R /mnt
    Use CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the GUI installer.
    Abort the install, and reboot.


    Oops! You should boot to the installer, not to the rescue system.
    Last edited by nrickert; 08-Jan-2018 at 15:19. Reason: add additional line
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5.18.6;

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,307

    Default Re: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm assuming that Question 4 is the real issue.

    I think I gave enough details in my earlier answer to that.

    To summarize:

    Boot to the rescue system.
    When you see the partitioning proposal, use CTRL-ALT-F2
    which should give you are root shell.

    Code:
    ifconfig -a
    should show that you have a network connection. If not, then no point in continuing.

    Mount your root partition at "/mnt"
    If there is a "/boot" partition, mount that at "/mnt/boot"
    Mount your EFI partition at "/mnt/boot/efi"
    (Optional) Mount your home partition at "/mnt/home"
    Do the three --bind mounts that I mentioned in my earlier answer to question 4.
    Code:
    cp /etc/resolv.conf  /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
    Code:
    chroot /mnt
    You should now be able to install a kernel. Either use zypper, or start a command line yast to install.

    I'm pretty sure that the kernel install will also update your bootloader.

    Exit from the chroot environment.
    Unmount what you mounted
    Code:
    umount -R /mnt
    Use CTRL-ALT-F7 to get back to the GUI installer.
    Abort the install, and reboot.


    Oops! You should boot to the installer, not to the rescue system.
    Ok.
    I am doing that wright now.
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.2 -- ASUS G731GV KDE leap 15.2 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South-West France
    Posts
    1,307

    Default Re: Broken system : unable to boot - Question 1

    Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    ..................
    You saved me.

    Thank you very much for your patience.
    Thanks for helping. JCD
    __________
    server leap 15.0 -- ASUS g75vw KDE leap 15.2 -- ASUS G731GV KDE leap 15.2 -- acer aspire s13 win 10 home -- HP Omen win 10 home - scan EPSON V500 - Brother HL2250DN - Samsung CLP-325W

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •