Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Internet is closed....

Default The Internet is closed....

Hi,

I'm running a Sony Vaio Laptop with Tumbleweed for about one year. For the network connection I use the KDE network manager in the toolbar. Suddenly, I cannot reach the internet anymore (e.g. by opening firefox or fetchmail).

The strange thing is, I am still in the internal network, i.e. I can exchange files via Samba with my Windows laptop. The Windows laptop can reach the internet fine, by the way.

I ran the following commands which I found in another thread here in the forum:

Code:
    ip -s link
    ip a
    ip r
    grep -v -e ‘^#’  /etc/resolv.conf
    ping -c 4 192.168.1.1
    ping -c 4 8.8.8.8
    The output of the ip commands looks "normal" to me. The /etc/resolv.conf looks like this:
    Code:
    # Generated by NetworkManager
    search home
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    nameserver 2a02:810d:1980:5028:5e35:3bff:feff:473
    The ping commands give no reply from 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 but full reply from 8.8.8.8

Above, I said "suddenly" I have no internet, but there is one thing I changed in the Network Manager: Usually, I use the cable connection to my router but once I tried to connect to my router via WLAN. This took many tries in order to convince the Network Manager to do this without using the password safe which I don't have the password of. The description of the check boxes seems not right nor logical to me. Finally, I managed the WLAN connection but had no internet. Since then, I tried at different locations with different WLAN routers and also my home router via cable but I only ever get the connection to the internal network, never to the internet. To make things even more complicated I have a new home router now and cannot test on the old one anymore....

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Internet is closed....

Since you say you have a new Internet router,
    I'm going to assume that old settings aren't likely used anymore.
    I'm also going to assume that your home router is typically very simple, without the additional configurations that might be found in "better" equipment which you might find in business systems.

First,
    It's progress if you say you can still access resources within your LAN, it is an indication that your machine is configured properly with some basic network settings.

Your next steps should be to test your network connectivity to your Default Gateway and then again beyond to an address on the Internet.
    You'll want to test first by pinging IP addresses to test basic connectivity, then again using names to test name resolution.

So,
    In home networks, generally the Default Gateway is the same machine and address as the DNS nameserver, so you should ping 192.168.0.1, not 192.168.1.1
    Code:
    ping 192.168.0.1
    If that works, then you should ping something on the Internet, a popular choice is a Google DNS server
    Code:
    ping 8.8.8.8
    If each test has been successful up to now, then you have established that your basic network connectivity to the Internet works fine, so now you can turn your attention to DNS resolution

You've already tested your connectivity to your LAN DNS, so you might test pinging any address on the Internet by name, take your pick. The following tests www.opensuse.org. You can also try opening in a web browser, but know that there is one test you can't do which is "www.google.com" in a chrome or chromium browser because in that one case a page on your local machine is rendered, and does not reach out to the Internet
    Code:
    ping www.opensuse.org
    If all of the above succeeds except for the last, then your next step should be to invoke nslookup tests, post if you need help at that point and I can describe how to do that.

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by flo73 View Post
    Hi,

I ran the following commands which I found in another thread here in the forum:

Code:
    ip -s link
    ip a
    ip r
    grep -v -e ‘^#’  /etc/resolv.conf
    ping -c 4 192.168.1.1
    ping -c 4 8.8.8.8
    The output of the ip commands looks "normal" to me.
    It is much, much better to post those commands and their output. So everybody can decide fir her/himself if the output looks normal. Now we have almost nothing.
    I assume one of the things you hope people can do for you here on the forums is point to things you did not notice because other people having a fresh look can make a difference.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

A couple of things:
    Not using kWallet ( the password manager ) stores the passwords in the config files ( a no go for me ). I strongly suggest you use it.
    Could you remove the current config and readd it using DHCP
    Could you check if things work when using wicked instead of Networkmanager? ( Use YaST )
    How do you update your TW install? FYI only 'zypper dup' is the way to do so.
    Did you, after connecting the new router, reset your modem?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Hi,
    Thanks for the explanations. Just to clarify: I now have a new router incl. DSL modem but I couldn't connect to the internet with my old router (incl. DSL modem) either for the last couple of weeks (before I had to sent it back). Neither via WLAN nor by cable. And also in some other WLAN's of friends where I used to connect in the past, I can't connect either, now.

Concerning the ping commands, I get no reply from 192.168.1.1 nor 192.168.0.1 but full reply from 8.8.8.8

Code:
    ping www.opensuse.org
    gives
    Code:
    ping: www.opensuse.org: Temporärer Fehler bei der Namensauflösung
    i.e. temporary error during name resolution.

If ping 8.8.8.8 is a connection to the internet as you say, tsu2, then it seems to me, the problem is really with the name server configuration (which I never changed, as far as I know).

To the removing of the config:
    Could you remove the current config and readd it using DHCP
    Do you mean by deleting the old file and rebooting the laptop or the router?

Thanks for your help!

By the way, according to advice from this forum, I only update manually (which contradicts the whole idea of the rolling release a bit, but well). I have to admit, I only do it every few weeks because it is always a big problem and never really runs through (I never know what to answer to all the questions the updater asks me and if I say "no" somewhere it keeps asking me the same questions in a kind of endless loop until I finally say "yes" - against my feelings).

And here the output of all the ip commands, as requested (it is a little complicated to get it here in the forum, because the linux computer is not on the internet now.....):

Code:
    ip -s link

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
        link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
        RX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped overrun mcast   
        3416       38       0       0       0       0       
        TX: bytes  packets  errors  dropped carrier collsns 
    2: enp14s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 54:53:ed:2f:fb:39 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        68196182   142055   0       2       0       1742    
        39795370   140389   0       0       0       0       
    3: wlp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 1a:e3:63:6f:e4:12 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        20470930   33195    0       0       0       0       
        16148813   29985    0       0       0       0       

ip a

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
           valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
    2: enp14s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
        inet 192.168.178.20/24 brd 192.168.178.255 scope global dynamic enp14s0
           valid_lft 863630sec preferred_lft 863630sec
        inet6 fe80::b135:c21d:4fc5:9e24/64 scope link 
    3: wlp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 2e:35:d6:59:33:2b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

ip r

default via 192.168.178.1 dev enp14s0 proto static metric 100 
    192.168.178.0/24 dev enp14s0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.178.20 metric 100

By the way, according to advice from this forum, I only update manually (which contradicts the whole idea of the rolling release a bit, but well). I have to admit, I only do it every few weeks because it is always a big problem and never really runs through (I never know what to answer to all the questions the updater asks me and if I say "no" somewhere it keeps asking me the same questions in a kind of endless loop until I finally say "yes" - against my feelings).
    Then better ask here. IMHO it is not a good idea to answer those questions randomly with yes or no when you do not understand why. Asking here may increase your knowledge and decrease your problems.
    And here the output of all the ip commands, as requested (it is a little complicated to get it here in the forum, because the linux computer is not on the internet now.....):

Code:
    ip -s link

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    2: enp14s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
        68196182   142055   0       2       0       1742    
        39795370   140389   0       0       0       0       
    3: wlp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 1a:e3:63:6f:e4:12 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
        20470930   33195    0       0       0       0       
        16148813   29985    0       0       0       0       

ip a

1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
        inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
        inet6 ::1/128 scope host 
    2: enp14s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP group default qlen 1000
        inet 192.168.178.20/24 brd 192.168.178.255 scope global dynamic enp14s0
           valid_lft 863630sec preferred_lft 863630sec
        inet6 fe80::b135:c21d:4fc5:9e24/64 scope link 
    3: wlp2s0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state DOWN group default qlen 1000
        link/ether 2e:35:d6:59:33:2b brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff

ip r

default via 192.168.178.1 dev enp14s0 proto static metric 100 
    192.168.178.0/24 dev enp14s0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.178.20 metric 100
    I understand it is not very easy having not being able to use the forums on the same machine. But OTOH when we do no know anything, it is very difficult to help.

From your information it seems that 192.168.178.1 is now your router. Thus try to ping that one (I assume that works because you say you can ping 8.8.8.8). It is a bit unusual address though. An unusual type of router?

But it seems you have a DNS problem. And that is not so strange as you say that you have in your /etc/resolv.conf
    Code:
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    which is not your router anymore. Try replacing this with the new address.

BTW this does not explain why this is not set correctly using DHCP.
    Last edited by hcvv; 07-Jan-2018 at 10:09.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

If you're using DHCP, try this:
    Code:
    su -c 'rm /etc/resolv.conf'
    su -c 'rcnetwork restart'
    That should recreate the file. If your router is configured to use google's DNS's, these should show up.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Blog Entries

Agree with the comments immediately above.

BTW -
    Your DG and DNS addresses should both likely be

You can ping that address if you wish and should return results successfully.

You should also likely see that address listed if you inspect your resolv.conf file with the following command
    Code:
    cat /etc/resolv.conf
    Otherwise,
    You should be able to delete the file with the following command and restart your networking service which should re-create the file correctly with the following command
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf && systemctl restart network.service
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Thank you! That worked!

I used
    Code:
    su -c 'rm /etc/resolv.conf'
    su -c 'rcnetwork restart'
    and I gather, the other two suggestions yield pretty much the same result.So thanks to all of you!

My router is a standard thing sent to me by the telephone company, by the way - or so I thought. It's brand new, of course.

If I understand you correctly, the resolv.conf is recreated new, every time I connect to a new or different WLAN network. So, how could it happen that the resolv.conf was wrong and wasn't recreated correctly when rebooting/connecting using the network manager? I hope, I don't have to delete it every time I take my laptop to another network place with a different router configuration?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast