Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: installation with LUKS/cryptsetup - installer gives error code -3034

Default Re: installation with LUKS/cryptsetup - installer gives error code -3034

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    Doing it all during install is more confusing (in my opinion)
    It may have been in the past, but with current Tumbleweed it is just one checkbox on initial proposal screen.

Blog Entries

Default Re: installation with LUKS/cryptsetup - installer gives error code -3034

Quote Originally Posted by arvidjaar View Post
    It may have been in the past, but with current Tumbleweed it is just one checkbox on initial proposal screen.
    Yes, that's easy enough.

I guess I should have been clearer that I was talking about doing something other than the default encrypted LVM setup.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    I'm not completely clear what you are trying to do.
    What is supported, is to install to an encrypted LVM. Typically, the LVM would contain volumes for root, home and swap. However, you can have an encrypted LVM with just a root volume inside. And that's pretty close to encrypted root partition, and is actually supported.

I normally use an encrypted LVM with root, home, swap volumes. I usually prepare the LVM before I start the install (maybe boot to a live Tumbleweed rescue system to set it up). But I have also done it preparing the LVM during the install (expert partitioner). Doing it all during install is more confusing (in my opinion) than preparing the LVM before starting the install.
    Well, that's exactly what I was trying to do with various filesystems. I was simply trying to use separate boot partition and root filesystem on top of encrypted LVM.
    To make this clear:

sda1 - /boot
    sda2 - encrypted LVM [/dev/opensuse-rfs_decrypted]

That's basically all I wanted the installer to do, but it failed ... no matter which filesystem I was selecting as a root filesystem ["/"] - ext4/btrfs, etc].

Also, I did not really give up on OpenSUSE - in fact, I am still using it and will continue to do so, as - so far - it seems to be more stable than Debian, which I also use. I have my awesome setup now, where I have btrfs for "/", which sits on encrypted LVM [opensuse-rfs_decrypted]. This works great, but I had to add some kernel parameters to /etc/default/grub to mitigate performance problems with recent disclosure of Meltdown/Spectre bug. Plus, some BTRFS tweaks as mounting options and I am PERFECTLY happy with OpenSUSE. And I am not affraid to do an upgrade [finally!].

Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marcsmith View Post
    To make this clear:

sda1 - /boot
    sda2 - encrypted LVM [/dev/opensuse-rfs_decrypted]

That's basically all I wanted the installer to do, but it failed ... no matter which filesystem I was selecting as a root filesystem ["/"] - ext4/btrfs, etc].
    I'm just testing that now.

The installer proposed partitioning.

On that screen, there's a button for "Edit proposal settings".
    I click that.

I then check the box "Encrypted LVM based proposal"
    I also set root file system to use "ext4" and home file system to use "ext4".

Then it gives a new proposal. However, unfortunately, it does not use as separate "/boot". The effect of no separate "/boot" is that you have to enter the encryption password twice (once for grub, once for the booted kernel).

The other option is to click the button for "Create Partition Setup".

If you do that, then you have to do it all in the expert partitioner. You can start with "/boot" at a reasonable size. I've been using 500M recently. For a UEFI box, first create the EFI partition (if it doesn't already exist), and then "/boot". After that, put the rest into a single partition, and set it to not be formatted. When I last tried that, the partitioner marked it as an LVM. You can then set it to be encrypted. And, after that, you have to click on the logical volume setup in the partition.

In the logical volume setup, you have to first use "Add" to create a new physical volume. You give it a name, and add the encrypted partition. After that, a series of "Add" to add volumes within that LVM structure. Typically, you will need root, home, swap.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12