Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia driver problems

Default Re: Nvidia driver problems

Quote Originally Posted by gogalthorp View Post
    What brand CPU on 42.3 on AMD FX-6300 latest did not cause problems. The kernel patch addressed both Specter and Meltdown. AMD only had to deal with one attack vector Intel two
    Sure, but apparently kernel 4.14.11 has a bug that caused the Meltdown patches to be applied on AMD CPUs as well although they are not affected (should be fixed in 4.14.12). And they caused the mentioned kernel panics it seems, at least if you try to run 32bit applications.

I don't know whether the Leap 42.3 kernel is affected by this as well, but this thread is (only) about Tumbleweed anyway.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 07-Jan-2018 at 06:41.

On 01/07/2018 07:46 AM, V idocq wrote:
    >
    > wolfi323;2850255 Wrote:
    >> Might be related to the latest security fixes.
    >> Try the "nopti" kernel option (or install kernel 4.14.12).
    >>
    >> See also:
    >> http://bugzilla.opensuse.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1074869
    >> and https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00091.html
    >>
    >> But then, I'm not so sure that nvidia is going to work at all with
    >> kernel 4.14.11 (and 4.14.12?):
    >> https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-.../msg00040.html
    >>
    >>
    >> Well, it's the point of Tumbleweed to always get the latest versions of
    >> everything, including the kernel.
    >>
    >> It was always recommended against using Tumbleweed if you rely on
    >> (proprietary) 3rd party drivers.
    >>
    >> IMHO, you should rather blame nvidia for (still) not supporting the
    >> opensource driver development...

> Let's see what happens in the next days, currently I can use Tumbleweed
    > only with the Kernel 4.14.9 and the Drivers Nvidia.run 390.12.
    > I am the tip of the iceberg, and I arranged, I guess how many that have
    > not managed to get by and right now they are cursing Tumbleweed or
    > Nvidia
    >
    >

I've locked all kernel updates (except firmware) until things get sorted
    out.

--
    Ken
    linux since 1984
    S.u.S.E./openSUSE since 1996

Blog Entries

Hi
    No cursing here, just added the nopti boot option (AMD Athlon X4 635) rebuilt the old Nvidia 340.104 driver and all good here now with 4.14.11.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Again, it was always strongly discouraged to use TW when relying on proprietary 3rd party drivers (not only nvidia), and still is.
    Wolfi323, my impression when I jumped ship to Tumbleweed this summer was that it could co-exist with the nvidia driver with some extra effort on the part of the user, either by building a new driver after kernel updates or by using the nvidia repository. (In fact, you were kind enough to refer me to that repository when I posed my first related thread in August. https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/526576-What-I-can-expect-with-kernel-upgrades-and-the-Nvidia-driver/page2 )

You're a global moderator and long-term user here, so I'm concerned to read your opinion that Tumbleweed was never intended for use with nvidia or other third party drivers. Is there documentation I missed that will tell me more? If this is the case, I better research a switch back to nouveau. I might be lucky to have successfully run Nvidia with Tumbleweed as long as I have.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmlewis View Post
    Hi
    No cursing here, just added the nopti boot option (AMD Athlon X4 635) rebuilt the old Nvidia 340.104 driver and all good here now with 4.14.11.
    I had to listen to you first, great Malcolm
    1) yast> boat loader> Kernel parameters> nopti> OK
    2) Package manager> Removed tabu from Kernel update
    3) Ctrl + Alt + F2 Login and su - pass and I become superuser> nvidia - installer --uninstall> at the end> reboot
    4) All Login Ctrl + Alt + F2> rm -rf /tmp/.X0-lock
    5) instal Nvidia.run> reboot
    And now it works with the 4.14.11 kernel
    loyalty returns to those who practice it

Default AW: Re: Nvidia driver problems

Quote Originally Posted by Tuner View Post
    Wolfi323, my impression when I jumped ship to Tumbleweed this summer was that it could co-exist with the nvidia driver with some extra effort on the part of the user
    Sure it can.

And didn't you write that the 390.12 driver works for you with Kernel 4.14.11?

You're a global moderator and long-term user here, so I'm concerned to read your opinion that Tumbleweed was never intended for use with nvidia or other third party drivers.
    I didn't write that it's not intended for use with nvidia or other 3rd party drivers.

But it is not generally *recommended* to use Tumbleweed if you rely on 3rd party drivers.

Frequent kernel updates are a feature of Tumbleweed, and one of the main reasons for its sole existance.

But this can cause problems with 3rd party kernel modules, if they are not updated to support the latest kernel on time.

Nvidia normally is quite good at that, although you may have to use the latest beta driver or manually add a patch.
    As I wrote (here in this thread), the nvidia repo maintainers normally do add necessary patches in time to make the driver work with the latest kernel.
    But there *can* be times (especially when a major new kernel arrives), that there's no solution temporarily.
    (and as the nvidia repo is actually hosted by nvidia and the rpm packages have to be sent to them and published manually AFAIK, there sometimes are delays because of that process).

openSUSE does always keep 2 kernels installled though (since years, and not only on Tumbleweed), so you can fall back to the older one, and with the default btrfs filesystem you can also boot system snapshots (and easily revert), both should help in such cases if you already installed an update and have problems.

Is there documentation I missed that will tell me more?
    Documentation about what?

Here's the Tumbleweed portal:
    https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Tumbleweed
    (which also warns about problems with 3rd party drivers and offers some further information in particular about nvidia)

I might be lucky to have successfully run Nvidia with Tumbleweed as long as I have.
    You're surely not the only one.

But this is indeed my opinion: people that complain (or even "curse" Tumbleweed) about the frequent kernel updates and problems they may bring, should better instead ask themselves whether Tumbleweed is actually the right distribution for them.
    I'd rather think not TBH.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 07-Jan-2018 at 10:09.

PS, an additional note regarding the nvidia repo for Tumbleweed:
    A patch for Kernel 4.14.9 has been added to the package in OBS (where it is maintained) 5 days ago:
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/r...v=base&rev=116

But that version is not in the repo (on nvidia's server) yet for some reason (holidays maybe?).

It's still broken for me with 4.14.11 with repo drivers...any way atm?

Quote Originally Posted by Vurdaan View Post
    It's still broken for me with 4.14.11 with repo drivers...any way atm?
    See my previous reply, right before yours:
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    PS, an additional note regarding the nvidia repo for Tumbleweed:
    A patch for Kernel 4.14.9 has been added to the package in OBS (where it is maintained) 5 days ago:
    https://build.opensuse.org/package/r...v=base&rev=116

But that version is not in the repo (on nvidia's server) yet for some reason (holidays maybe?).
    The new packages will hopefully appear in the next days... (and will hopefully work with kernel 4.14.11 then)

For now, either stick to an older kernel, or install the 390.12 driver "the hard way" if you cannot or don't want to wait.

Alternatively, you could also download the source package from OBS and build it yourself.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 08-Jan-2018 at 11:24.

I confirm that with the nopti Kernel option and the Nvidia390.12.run drivers it works with the hard way.
    Of course, the repository is more convenient, but I tried and it does not go with the Driver 384.98
    loyalty returns to those who practice it

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast