Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What alternative is recommended to "FileZilla' by users. Graphical FTP client wanted.

Default What alternative is recommended to "FileZilla' by users. Graphical FTP client wanted.

2071229. I am now running mostly on OpenSUSE, but I note comments on 'FileZilla' [Which I used on Windows] and that software manager shows an old version. What FTP client of graphical type do users recommend?
    Regards
    Eionmac
    openSUSE LEAP 15.3 , Windows 10 ; standby Leap 15.3 on second USB external drive. Various old computers dual boot and Live Linux distros

Blog Entries

Default Re: What alternative is recommended to "FileZilla' by users. Graphical FTP client wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by eionmac View Post
    2071229. I am now running mostly on OpenSUSE, but I note comments on 'FileZilla' [Which I used on Windows] and that software manager shows an old version. What FTP client of graphical type do users recommend?
    Hi
    Well old only as in features... that's the way Leap rolls, security/bug fixes only (looks like the newer version won't build anyway due to library dependencies).

What desktop environment, on GNOME I just use Nautilus and sftp.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: What alternative is recommended to "FileZilla' by users. Graphical FTP client wanted.

For KDE, the Dolphin file manager supports FTP/SFTP.

Well, it's been a long time since I've been using the MC for FTP/SFTP.

https://software.opensuse.org/package/mc

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    And, more importantly these days, Dolphin integrates with KDE Connect -- the most comfortable way to access the files on your (not so) "smart telephone".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    And, more importantly these days, Dolphin integrates with KDE Connect -- the most comfortable way to access the files on your (not so) "smart telephone".
    Yes, very important for those that need that kind of access.

Yes, very important for those that need that kind of access.
    Hmmm. Ages back, I tried KDE Connect, did not work for me, and I did not at the time feel like hunting down why, because ...

I have been using Paul Lutus' SSHelper all along, wireless connect my Android to my router and use ssh and sshfs for everything I can dream of doing between my Android and my PCs and Laptops.

Super slick, so KDE Connect (along with most other KDE stuff, lately) is not so important for me.
    "Take a Walk on a Sunny Day, Greet everyone along the way, and Make Somebody Smile, Today"
    Gerry Jack Macks"Walk On A Sunny Day" GerryJackMacks.net

20210522 I have now used Dolphin for the first time as Filezilla opened at wrong security certificate.

Thank you for recommendation
    Regards
    Eionmac
    openSUSE LEAP 15.3 , Windows 10 ; standby Leap 15.3 on second USB external drive. Various old computers dual boot and Live Linux distros

Question Re: What alternative is recommended to "FileZilla' by users. Graphical FTP client wanted.

I have now used Dolphin for the first time
    Assuming that, you have an Android mobile telephone, have you looked at KDE Connect and, the integration with Dolphin?

Please be aware, for proper Dolphin behaviour with respect to a LAN, you'll have to ensure that, the systemd “avahi-daemon” Service and Socket are enabled and running.
    • You'll also need a KDE Wallet with Blowfish encryption named “kdewallet” setup and, at the point in time when you access the network resource(s), open

With the Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD up and running, when you open “network:” in Dolphin, you should see all the devices on your LAN which are offering services and, the services being offered – for example, for the case of a QNAP NAS on my LAN –

• http:
    • smb:
    • Workgroup Manager
    • afp:
    • ftp:
    • iTunes – digital audio Access
    • ssh:

A Kyocera printer offers –
    • http:
    • ipp:
    • PDL Printing
    • UNIX Printing

This openSUSE node offers –
    • sftp:
    • ssh:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcurtisfra View Post
    Please be aware, for proper Dolphin behaviour with respect to a LAN, you'll have to ensure that, the systemd “avahi-daemon” Service and Socket are enabled and running.
    It is by default.
    openSUSE Leap 15.3; KDE Plasma 5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast