Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    1. Download from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
    2. Unpack: cd /home/karl/Downloads; tar xfv firefox-57.0.2.tar.bz2
    3. Close installed Firefox
    4. Invoke: /home/karl/Downloads/firefox/firefox
    5. If not satisfied revert to installed version
    6. If OK modify your program starter: Properties > Application > Command: /home/karl/Downloads/firefox/firefox %u
    kind of but no cigar as Firefox 57 will upgrade your profile and then Firefox 52 will end up with a broken profile
    the safest way would be to backup your current Firefox profile so if things go wrong you won't loose your logins, favorites and addons, Quantum will block all of your xpcom addons so before doing anything make a backup of your profile
    I usually use 7zip for compression
    Code:
    7z a ~/Documents/Firefox_backup.7z -r ~/.mozilla/*
    should compress your Firefox profile in your Documents folder as a 7zip archive named Firefox_backup
    or just make a copy of it
    Code:
    mkdir ~/Documents/FirefoxBackup
    cp -r ~/.mozilla ~/Documents/FirefoxBackup
    then you can safly play with Firefox versions
    just keep in mind in Mozilla's ayes xpcom and xul are dead and Firefox-ESR is a stop gap solution as it's support ends in less then 6 months so sooner or latter you'd have to move to Quantum

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,303

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    kind of but no cigar as Firefox 57 will upgrade your profile and then Firefox 52 will end up with a broken profile
    I actually performed the above with Tumbleweed then still using Firefox 52.5.0 and found no problems when reverting from Firefox 57 to 52.5.0. However having a backup is always a good idea. Since I moved the home directories to SSD I am issuing rsync -a /home/karl /home-HDD/karl to mirror existing files on HDD before tinkering.

    Anyway item #3 should read:

    3. Close installed Firefox and backup ~/.mozilla
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    I do believe the profile format changed with Firefox 54 there's another change planned with Firefox 58
    if you forget to do a backup there is a way to get the profile working by doing a refresh but that will remove all preferences and addons so I don't really recommend it
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...s-and-settings
    but we're getting off topic imo the best way to get Firefox is from the mozilla repo and ignore the java warning during the vendor change using a binary blob from mozilla might damage your profile (using 52 and 57 with the same profile is not recommended)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,303

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    imo the best way to get Firefox is from the mozilla repo and ignore the java warning during the vendor change using a binary blob from mozilla might damage your profile (using 52 and 57 with the same profile is not recommended)
    As described above adding the repo and installing Firefox Quantum is straight forward:

    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/ mozilla
    zypper dup --from mozilla
    What are the steps needed to revert to the previous version?
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    Quote Originally Posted by karlmistelberger View Post
    As described above adding the repo and installing Firefox Quantum is straight forward:

    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/ mozilla
    zypper dup --from mozilla
    What are the steps needed to revert to the previous version?
    scrap that as that will upgrade Thunderbird and SeaMonkey to the mozilla build too (I'm not sure which versions)
    better use yast and the versions tab for both 52->57 and 57->52 switch
    you'd need to add the mozilla repo tho so just do the first step
    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/ mozilla
    then start yast search for Firefox in the versions tab select 57.0.3 and ignore the java headless earning

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mangfall, Germany
    Posts
    1,507

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    fwiw

    tried to install latest firefox and got
    A780GM-m3<2017-12-28 10:15:58><rpms>... sudo rpm -Uhv --test MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64.rpm
    [sudo] password for root:
    error: Failed dependencies:
    MozillaFirefox-branding > 44.0 is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    mozilla-nspr >= 4.17 is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    mozilla-nss >= 3.33 is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    libnss3.so(NSS_3.30)(64bit) is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    libssl3.so(NSS_3.33)(64bit) is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    A780GM-m3<2017-12-28 10:26:21><rpms>...

    also tried via yast with similar result

    the following worked,

    deleted prior firefox install, 3 packages, and flash, 2 packages

    unpacked firefox-57.0.2.tar.bz2 (from mozilla web site) and copied the unpacked directory firefox into /opt/

    for videos, installed via yast flash-player-npapi-28.0.0.126-release.x86_64.rpm (from Adobe web site) ignored warnings

    is this safe? maybe, but it is much faster!

    cheers

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    fwiw

    tried to install latest firefox and got
    A780GM-m3<2017-12-28 10:15:58><rpms>... sudo rpm -Uhv --test MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64.rpm
    [sudo] password for root:
    error: Failed dependencies:
    MozillaFirefox-branding > 44.0 is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    mozilla-nspr >= 4.17 is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    mozilla-nss >= 3.33 is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    libnss3.so(NSS_3.30)(64bit) is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    libssl3.so(NSS_3.33)(64bit) is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    A780GM-m3<2017-12-28 10:26:21><rpms>...

    also tried via yast with similar result

    the following worked,

    deleted prior firefox install, 3 packages, and flash, 2 packages

    unpacked firefox-57.0.2.tar.bz2 (from mozilla web site) and copied the unpacked directory firefox into /opt/

    for videos, installed via yast flash-player-npapi-28.0.0.126-release.x86_64.rpm (from Adobe web site) ignored warnings

    is this safe? maybe, but it is much faster!

    cheers
    you got those rpm errors because Firefox isn't packaged in a single rpm that's why you needed the mozilla repository (and I originally recommended a vendor change)
    putting the unpacked binary in /opt is another bad idea as you'll have to run it as root to keep it updated or you'll get update errors (running a GUI app as root is a way to bork your system)
    another thing is that the mozilla blob does not have the plasma 5 integration that comes from opensuse
    my recommendation is add the mozilla repo delete that dir from opt and get your updates from opensuse
    so no that's not the easiest way to get quantum

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Erlangen
    Posts
    1,303

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    Quote Originally Posted by keellambert View Post
    fwiw

    tried to install latest firefox and got
    A780GM-m3<2017-12-28 10:15:58><rpms>... sudo rpm -Uhv --test MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64.rpm
    [sudo] password for root:
    error: Failed dependencies:
    MozillaFirefox-branding > 44.0 is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    mozilla-nspr >= 4.17 is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    mozilla-nss >= 3.33 is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    libnss3.so(NSS_3.30)(64bit) is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    libssl3.so(NSS_3.33)(64bit) is needed by MozillaFirefox-57.0.1-3.1.x86_64
    A780GM-m3<2017-12-28 10:26:21><rpms>...

    also tried via yast with similar result
    You may open a root shell and try:

    Code:
    zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/mozilla/openSUSE_Leap_42.3/ mozilla
    zypper in --from mozilla MozillaFirefox
    AMD Athlon 4850e (2009), openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4, Intel i3-4130 (2014), i7-6700K (2016), i5-8250U (2018), openSUSE Tumbleweed, KDE Plasma 5

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,997

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    regarding the profile format apparently Mozilla changed the profile with Firefox 55
    https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/02/yo...x-55-profiles/
    so by running Quantum once it doesn't matter if installed as an rpm or a tar ball your profile will be upgraded and you will have issues going back to ESR
    that being said backup ie compress or copy your profile before doing anything
    if you forget to backup a refresh should make your profile accessible to ESR (but you will loose all addons and configs)

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Kamloops, BC, Canada
    Posts
    3,974

    Default Re: Safest way to get current Firefox on Leap?

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Fine.

    You are aware of the fact that now all your old posts about earlier versions of openSUSE show Leap 42.3 in your signature?
    ... is that why you prompted him to make the change? To confuse him? Hahahaha. :-D
    -Gerry Makaro
    Fraser-Bell Info Tech
    Solving Tech Mysteries since the Olden Days!
    ~~
    If I helped you, consider clicking the Star at the bottom left of my post.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •