Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAC cloning no longer supported for e1000e?

Default MAC cloning no longer supported for e1000e?

Hi,
    I updated kernel from 4.4.92-31 to 4.4.103-36 (-default) with the result, that LAN does not work any more.
    I'm using MAC cloning to distinguish the running OS (WIN10 or LEAP) at my box.

I'm running plasma 5.8.7 and LEAP 42.3 and changed the MAC address with NetworkManager (Connection editor) for my LAN (e1000e for Intel I217-LM)

Without MAC cloning the LAN is working, also cloning MAC to its original MAC makes the LAN working.
    Using the driver from ..92.., all runs well including MAC cloning. (rmmod e1000e; insmod /...92.../e1000e.ko)

How can I avoid this rmmod/insmod?
    Is MAC cloning no longer supported for e1000e?
    How can I otherwise change the MAC?

What else do you need tho know to answer my questions?

Blog Entries

Default Re: MAC cloning no longer supported for e1000e?

You need to state whether you are using wicked or network manager for your network management.

Typically, with wicked you simply describe your MAC address in your ifcfg interface file.
    With NM, you typically describe it in your network connection.

Then,
    you can verify your work by running something like "ip addr"

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by ifswirth View Post

I'm running plasma 5.8.7 and LEAP 42.3 and changed the MAC address with NetworkManager (Connection editor) for my LAN (e1000e for Intel I217-LM)
    @tsu2

Do you mean this?
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    @tsu2

Do you mean this?
    Yup. I looked hard for that, but I guess I'm blind...

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Blog Entries

I just ran a test on a newly updated 42.3.
    No problem, the MAC address was changed as expected after a reboot.
    I'm surprised though that simply restarting network services wasn't sufficient to pick up the MAC address change.

TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

@tsu2
    thanks for testing.

I know, MAC cloning is supported in 42.3 with kernel 4.4.92-31 but not with kernel 4.4.103-36 (always using driver e1000e) on my tests.
    Did you use kernel 4.4.103-36 AND module/driver e1000e?
    I think the problem depends on this combination of kernel version and module (this module offered for that kernel).

BTW, rebooting isn't necessary if you change MAC via NetworkManager. Simply disconnect+edit+connect. That is what I detected.
    With kernel 4.4.103-36 and MAC cloning, the LAN will be activated and deactivated in cycle until you deselect "Automatically connect ...".

I'm interested in your answer

Blog Entries

On the machine used for testing, that kernel is same but the network driver is different.

Still,
    For the life of me, I can't imagine what the network driver might have to do with MAC cloning...
    The level at which the MAC address is changed should be a software layer above the network driver, so should not make any diff.
    Unfortunately, a test I used to run ages ago which was to set the MAC address in the ifcfg file does not work today (In yesteryear, even if you used NM, any settings in the ifcfg file would over-ride). Speculating that may have changed when wicked was introduced for managed instead of direct access to the "classical" interface files.

Although e1000e is very common and popular, at the moment I don't have access to a real system but I was able to test in a virtual machine using an emulated e1000 network adapter with no problems.

Unless you need to use Network Manager for some reason(like switching between different wired or wireless networks), perhaps you should switch over to wicked and try specifying a MAC address in the ifcfg file
    Code:
    MACADDR=aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
    TSU
    Learn something new?
    Post and Share!

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    On the machine used for testing, that kernel is same but the network driver is different.

Still,
    For the life of me, I can't imagine what the network driver might have to do with MAC cloning...
    The level at which the MAC address is changed should be a software layer above the network driver, so should not make any diff.
    Why else does the problem change with the version of driver. Driver/module e1000e with ver. 4.4.92-31 is OK, with ver. 4.4.103-36 is not.

Quote Originally Posted by tsu2 View Post
    Unless you need to use Network Manager for some reason(like switching between different wired or wireless networks), perhaps you should switch over to wicked and try specifying a MAC address in the ifcfg file
    I want/have to use NetworkManager. I'm using a laptop with dual boot (Win10 and Leap) in very different network/wlan environments.

I am convinced that it is a mistake to take away support for MAC cloning in e1000e.
    I just want to assure myself that I'm not making any mistake or overlooking something before I create a bug report.
    The newer version of e1000e has almost 830 bytes less code :-(

Hopefully somebody else can verify my observation or can point to my mistake.
    TSU, tanks for your efforts.

ifswirth

Blog Entries

I don't have the same ethernet hardware so can't test/confirm this directly unfortunately. However, you're quite correct that it does require underlying driver support to work correctly, so it may be a regression that is impacting here. Can you please share your network profile (in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/) for the ethernet connection?

For reference, I'm using a similar e1000 driver. I have
    Code:
    sudo cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/DHCP 
    [connection]
    id=DHCP
    uuid=c702075a-1425-4e98-b23a-7fa67abf51a1
    type=ethernet
    permissions=
    secondaries=

[ethernet]
    cloned-mac-address=CA:CE:3C:48:D3:F0
    mac-address-blacklist=

[ipv4]
    dns-search=
    method=auto

[ipv6]
    dns-search=
    method=auto
    It works as expected for me.

BTW, I was a bit confused by your opening post - Does unloading and reloading the driver result in the cloned MAC working as expected with the current latest kernel?
    Code:
    modprobe -r e1000e
    Code:
    modprobe e1000e

Blog Entries

It might be useful to examine the kernel messaging related to the driver when loaded...
    Code:
    dmesg|grep e1000e
    FWIW, I note that when I implemented MAC cloning, this resulted in changes to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules, (and backed up the original as /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.old).

The original auto-generated entry (now 70-persistent-net.old) was
    Code:
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="08:00:27:36:86:14", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
    The new auto-generated entry (no MAC matching) is
    Code:
    ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast