Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use a Admin for Yast GUI instead of the root user

Unhappy Use a Admin for Yast GUI instead of the root user

I've been looking for a spot to make a suggestion to the SUSE developers to make a suggestions about yast, but that did not go so well. So I'll make it here.

I want to switch my system over to OpenSUSE from Ubuntu (I like unity, and now that is dead, I want to get away from Ubuntu to something new). And so far I've have been installing it onto a VM for a wile. I really like Yast GUI program for witch is why I would like to switch to SUSE. But I noticed that the root user account was enabled and my account could not do any root stuff (updates, installs, etc). So I configured sudo to use zypper but it still ask for a root password for the GUI yast and the terminal yast works with my password. So with research I conclude that the root user can only run the yast GUI utility.

So I want to make the suggestion on selected users to run yast rather than the root being the only user to run yast.

Mostly this comes from the standpoint that the enabled root user is powerful and if someone where to guess the password to root, the control the whole system (not that bad for me, but for cooperation networks maybe) and should be disable for safe keepings. In addition to that its more convenient to select a handful of users to use yast GUI instead of sharing the root password in a cooperation networks. As with my research, there are others who are trying the same thing too.

So is there any way this could get to SUSE developers as a suggestion. I would just change yast source code, but I'm not that good of a programmer to do that.

Default Re: Use a Admin for Yast GUI instead of the root user

Ubuntu and openSUSE have different ideas on how to handle these things.

I doubt that openSUSE is going to switch to the Ubuntu way of life (configuring sudoers, using the wheel group, maybe more).

I doubt also that the openSUSE users world would react favourable if all they are used to is not functioning anymore.
    After all when all distros were the same, there would be no case for different distros.

BTW if you have a guessable root password, I recommend you to change that to a stronger one.

My 2 cents.
    Henk van Velden

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    I doubt also that the openSUSE users world would react favourable if all they are used to is not functioning anymore.
    That's certainly true about this user. My biggest objection to Ubuntu is the way that it handles admin.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nrickert View Post
    That's certainly true about this user. My biggest objection to Ubuntu is the way that it handles admin.
    Hi
    Meh, I hate sudo ever since I was unable to get free coffee cup coasters

Give me a real password...

> sudo -i

# passwd

Done!!!
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 21-Oct-2017 at 17:11.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

I always use
    Code:
    su -
    mostly indirect, because that is what in KDE "Konsole (root) Terminal" does.

And of course YaST which is in my KDE started through xdg-su.

And the fact that I have to provide the root password signals me that I enter dangerous ground.
    Last edited by hcvv; 22-Oct-2017 at 02:53.
    Henk van Velden

Whenever I've used Ubuntu or Mint (which is rarely) I always create a root password and revert to the opensuse way.
    Pete

Blog Entries

You can configure your ordinary User account as a member of the Wheel Group, which is apparently a standard, recommended configuration in CentOS... which I personally am very suspicious of but who am I as an individual with far less knowledge than the entire CentOS community?

TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Question Re: Use a Admin for Yast GUI instead of the root user

well ok, I WOULD like to switch from Ubuntu to SUSE and personally I would like to see something like that in SUSE (guessed I won't be liked in the SUSE community then . . lol). I though it would be easy to just use one password for yast instead of a root and user password. I mean if not that is there a way to configure yast to allow selected accounts to use yast instead of root alone.

I mean if thats a bad idea then maybe root only access by default is enabled then selected users can access (and make changes to) yast then...
    Or is yast meant for professional IT and Ubuntu is for other purposes. I mean do I kinda have a point on the administrator group for yast modification than a shared root password.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weezle View Post
    well ok, I WOULD like to switch from Ubuntu to SUSE and personally I would like to see something like that in SUSE (guessed I won't be liked in the SUSE community then . . lol). I though it would be easy to just use one password for yast instead of a root and user password. I mean if not that is there a way to configure yast to allow selected accounts to use yast instead of root alone.

I mean if thats a bad idea then maybe root only access by default is enabled then selected users can access (and make changes to) yast then...
    Or is yast meant for professional IT and Ubuntu is for other purposes. I mean do I kinda have a point on the administrator group for yast modification than a shared root password.
    Hi
    Then do it, nothing stopping you to configure sudo how you like, run everything as root user if you want... it's your system, no one is stopping you? The openSUSE developers/contributors et al. seem pretty happy working the way it does and leaving these choices to the end user and not pre-configured.

If you want guidance on how to do this then suggest you ask your specific queries in the appropriate Technical sub-forum
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Weezle View Post
    well ok, I WOULD like to switch from Ubuntu to SUSE and personally I would like to see something like that in SUSE (guessed I won't be liked in the SUSE community then . . lol).
    Diversity is good. You are welcome to having your own preferences. Just don't expect us to all agree.
    openSUSE Leap 15.1; KDE Plasma 5;
    testing Leap 15.2Alpha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast