Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Pros and cons of qemu and virtualbox

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,518

    Exclamation Re: Pros and cons of qemu and virtualbox

    Please be aware that, we're not sales people and therefore, we're quite careful about recommending any given VM product for a given situation.

    Yes, some of us regularly use VMs and, we have our personal preferences but, whether or not a particular product will fit the needs of someone else, is something which would be, probably, difficult to define.

    Please be more explicit about your needs with respect to VMs and then, possibly, some hints as to a possible choice can be given.

    Yes, VirtualBox is open source but, Oracle is the master and therefore . . .

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,002

    Default Re: Pros and cons of qemu and virtualbox

    Quote Originally Posted by pensador_13 View Post
    1
    3) Please be polite with other people. It is a important behavior to a healthy community.
    Please try to understand what is going on here when you ask a question. Any question.

    There is a group of openSUSE users that volunteer in their spare time, will look at your thread title. They then will decide if it might be something to open and read. This decision depends completely upon the title and the volunteers mood at that moment in time. And that process is repeated in every following step: the volunteer decides if (s)he has interest and knowledge in the thread. When not (s)he goes for another thread of for a beer or for whatever.

    To begin with, many people even never look in Soapbox because they think that serious technical questions are moer of their liking. Nevertheless a few hundred people openen your thread, but then decided that they lack the knowledge or do not want to be involved in a product a vs. product b discussion.

    After 24 hours one of the mods tried to explain to you that the openSUSE forums might not be the best place to have such a discussion. Others went then so far to point you to other places on the Internet. Most of the posts point clearly in the direction: you will not get an answer to your liking here and I do not want to get involved, better go elsewhere.

    You refused to understand these hints and went on putting pressure on people that as volunteers do not want to be pressed at all. They want to be free to join or leave a discussion.

    My conclusion, do not be amazed when the hints start to become a bit more clear. And categorizing them as incorrect behavior is likely to have more and more people here ignoring all you post.

    So please take the advice you got here as the maximum you will get.
    Henk van Velden

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    35

    Default Re: Pros and cons of qemu and virtualbox

    Quote Originally Posted by hcvv View Post
    Please try to understand what is going on here when you ask a question. Any question.

    There is a group of openSUSE users that volunteer in their spare time, will look at your thread title. They then will decide if it might be something to open and read. This decision depends completely upon the title and the volunteers mood at that moment in time. And that process is repeated in every following step: the volunteer decides if (s)he has interest and knowledge in the thread. When not (s)he goes for another thread of for a beer or for whatever.

    To begin with, many people even never look in Soapbox because they think that serious technical questions are moer of their liking. Nevertheless a few hundred people openen your thread, but then decided that they lack the knowledge or do not want to be involved in a product a vs. product b discussion.

    After 24 hours one of the mods tried to explain to you that the openSUSE forums might not be the best place to have such a discussion. Others went then so far to point you to other places on the Internet. Most of the posts point clearly in the direction: you will not get an answer to your liking here and I do not want to get involved, better go elsewhere.

    You refused to understand these hints and went on putting pressure on people that as volunteers do not want to be pressed at all. They want to be free to join or leave a discussion.

    My conclusion, do not be amazed when the hints start to become a bit more clear. And categorizing them as incorrect behavior is likely to have more and more people here ignoring all you post.

    So please take the advice you got here as the maximum you will get.
    Thank you for the advice
    Sorry everyone for my misbehavior

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    25,002

    Default Re: Pros and cons of qemu and virtualbox

    Quote Originally Posted by pensador_13 View Post
    Thank you for the advice
    Sorry everyone for my misbehavior
    Thanks for your reaction.

    Please, take this as case closed. Whenever you have a technical problem with openSUSE, do not hesitate to ask in these forums. People will try to help you. Most of them are really happy when they can help others with the knowledge and experience they gathered in running openSUSE.
    Henk van Velden

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Posts
    19,802
    Blog Entries
    14

    Default Re: Pros and cons of qemu and virtualbox

    Quote Originally Posted by pensador_13 View Post
    3) Please be polite with other people. It is a important behavior to a healthy community.
    We're all convinced of that. But we're also experienced in seeing where discussions can go, we're also here to guide new users, incl. reasoning them away from faulty assumptions. And one of the most valuable advices we could give is: "Try them, use what suits you best".

    Some advice: Don't start with complex matters like virtualization. Start using one or two desktop environments, for daily routines like browsing, email, Libreoffice and get some kind of "home" feeling with it. Re. virtualization: if you lack knowledge, start with Virtualbox, qemu is a completely different beast.
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

    ° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

    https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,140
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Pros and cons of qemu and virtualbox

    Quote Originally Posted by pensador_13 View Post
    I see that assumptions are being made about me not doing my research, and they are wrong. IMHO http://marciasirotamd.com/psychology...ng-assumptions explains well the problem with making assumptions. I did my research, however it was not a good one. Also it would be nice to have a sticky post that explains what is Qemu and Virtualbox in a very simple way. I know that it would be hard work, but a very appreciated one by beginners
    Questions of this type are asked quite often in the virtualization forum but should be typically framed differently, so instead of the more general question you asked, you might have considered something like

    For my first virtualization, I don't understand which I should choose, Virtualbox or KVM/QEMU or Xen/QEMU?
    I'm learning virtualization, is Virtualbox or KVM/QEMU good for beginners?

    Or, something like
    I'm considering virtualization to do <.....>, and am considering Virtualbox or KVM/QEMU. is one better than the other?

    Or, maybe
    I'm considering installing Virtualbox on my system, how should I do that?
    I'm considering installing KVM/QEMU on my system, how should I do that?

    Even
    I'm trying to choose between Virtualbox and KVM/QEMU, can I install both on my system and try them both out on the same system?

    The above questions have all been asked over the years in the Virtualization Forum, you can search for what has been asked and answered before, and if you think the discussion was too old and might want to ask for an up to date answer, then post and state that reason for asking the question again.

    https://forums.opensuse.org/forumdis...Virtualization

    You'll notice that the question examples above aren't general "Which is best?" because there's a lot of subjectivity (Individual opinion) as well as factual features which can be considered. Instead, narrow your question to fit a specific purpose or use you have in mind, or a specific unanswered question you need answered.

    HTH,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, Ca, USA
    Posts
    11,140
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Pros and cons of qemu and virtualbox

    Quote Originally Posted by pensador_13 View Post
    1) I already said that my research was not good.

    2) Thank you for sharing the link.

    3) Please be polite with other people. It is a important behavior to a healthy community.
    The reference link to openSUSE documentation only covers a tiny piece of all virtualization, especially from the 30,000 foot level... Only

    KVM
    Xen
    LXC containers (which isn't really virtualization although we discuss as a common category)

    So,
    The reference can be helpful to learning about the three specific technologies listed above but covers no ground for any of the other major virtualization Vendors (eg Virtualbox, VMware, Hyper-V, Parallels), isolation vendors(eg Docker, LXD), Enterprise Management(eg OpenStack) and minor(today) vendors which can include specific cloud PAAS(ie VPS), OpenVZ, Kubernetes, more...

    In other words,
    Don't hesitate to see what is in past Virtualization Forum discussions...
    And, there is almost no condemnation of misbehavior (although I've personally drawn a line at answering the same exact question more that 3 ways in the same forum thread).

    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •