Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nouveau - How to reverse from nvidia to nouveau

Default Nouveau - How to reverse from nvidia to nouveau

Hello.

kernel : 4.4.103-36-default
    Graphic driver : Nvidia
    Install mode : The hard way (opensuse naming).

I run into problem when installing the recent nvidia driver. Then Following a suggestion from nvidia In try to return to nouveau and then re-install nvidia
    I have manually reverse the configuration
    Code:
    1: remove nomodeset in command line kernel boot
    2: remove /etc/modprobe.d/xxxxxx file that looks like disable nouveau.conf
    3: remove line in 50-blacklist.conf that disable nouveau
    4: reinstall drm-kmp-default
    5: NO_KMS_IN_INITRD --> nothing to do because does not exists
    6: do mkinitrd
    7: reboot
    8: black screen when login screen is supposed to come
    Starting x from init 3, show an error, message
    Code:
     Plasma is unable to start as it could not correctly use OpenGL 2.  Please check that your graphic drivers are set up correctly.
    Other error :
    Code:
    Can't open display: 
    XIO fatal IO error 13 (permission denied) on X server :0 from kinit
    Could not start ksmserver
    could not connect to d-bus server
    So How could I do something that is like reinstalling nouveau.
    Thanks for helping. JCD

Default Re: Nouveau - How to reverse from nvidia to nouveau

From your procedure I see that the very first step is notably missing, e.g.:
    Code:
    # sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-***.**.run --uninstall
    Did you forget to mention it or did you forget to run it?
    Tumbleweed Gnome on i7 4720HQ + Geforce GTX960M
    testing Leap 15.3

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Code:
    I have to admit that I have forgotten this very small detail .

Thank you very very much indeed.

Thread is closed
    Thanks for helping. JCD

Quote Originally Posted by OrsoBruno View Post
    Code:
    I encountered the same error during a 42.2=>42.3 upgrade (with DVD) with nvidia drivers installed from the nvidia repo. Fortunately I was on my test machine as I was not able to repair the problem from a rescue session; I was forced to do a clean install which I cannot do on my main workstation.

Do I follow the OP's above procedure before I begin the upgrade, starting with uninstalling from the repo? Will that automatically bring back nouveau?

Also, I am currently using grub legacy; "nomodeset" is not in my kernel boot command; what should I do about that?

Thanks a lot!

--dg
    openSUSE 15.0/KDE | MSI B450-A Pro | Ryzen 5 2400G | 16GB RAM | nVidia GF108

Quote Originally Posted by mingus725 View Post
    Do I follow the OP's above procedure before I begin the upgrade, starting with uninstalling from the repo?
    No, the OP installed the nvidia driver via nvidia's .run installer (aka "the hard way").

If you installed from the repo, just uninstall the nvidia packages with YaST or zypper.

Will that automatically bring back nouveau?
    Yes, unless you have an xorg.conf that forces nvidia, or manually added a nouveau blacklist somewhere.
    If that's the case, remove it.

Also, I am currently using grub legacy; "nomodeset" is not in my kernel boot command; what should I do about that?
    Nothing.
    "nomodeset" is not necessary if nouveau is properly blacklisted (which the nvidia rpm packages take care of anyway).

Also, "nomodeset" would actually *disable* nouveau, bad idea if you want to switch to it...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    No, the OP installed the nvidia driver via nvidia's .run installer (aka "the hard way").

If you installed from the repo, just uninstall the nvidia packages with YaST or zypper.

Yes, unless you have an xorg.conf that forces nvidia, or manually added a nouveau blacklist somewhere.
    If that's the case, remove it.

Nothing.
    "nomodeset" is not necessary if nouveau is properly blacklisted (which the nvidia rpm packages take care of anyway).

Also, "nomodeset" would actually *disable* nouveau, bad idea if you want to switch to it...
    Thanks very much! Sorry, left out this question . . . according to 42.3 Release Notes, after removing the nvidia drivers (from the wording this seemed to apply either way, from the script or from the repo), then "drm-kmp-default" needs to be reinstalled. Yes?

Again, TIA.

--dg

EDIT: Btw, despite my sig, I am upgrading from 42.2. I haven't been here for a good while, so apparently I can't edit my sig.

Thanks very much! Sorry, left out this question . . . according to 42.3 Release Notes, after removing the nvidia drivers (from the wording this seemed to apply either way, from the script or from the repo), then "drm-kmp-default" needs to be reinstalled. Yes?
    Well, you don't *need* to install it per se.
    It contains backported graphics drivers from Kernel 4.9 though, so probably good to have (especially if your graphics card/chip is quite new). Unless it gives you problems (which may be the case for older intel chips e.g.)...

It might even get pulled in automatically, I think, if you install updates.
    ase it's better to uninstall it.
    EDIT: Btw, despite my sig, I am upgrading from 42.2. I haven't been here for a good while, so apparently I can't edit my sig.
    If you are logged in, you should be able to edit your sig in the "User Control Center" (top right of the page). There should be a link "Edit Signature" on the left side below "Settings"->"My Profile".
    Last edited by wolfi323; 18-Jan-2018 at 14:48.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfi323 View Post
    Well, you don't *need* to install it per se.
    It contains backported graphics drivers from Kernel 4.9 though, so probably good to have (especially if your graphics card/chip is quite new). Unless it gives you problems (which may be the case for older intel chips e.g.)...

It might even get pulled in automatically, I think, if you install updates.
    ase it's better to uninstall it.

If you are logged in, you should be able to edit your sig in the "User Control Center" (top right of the page). There should be a link "Edit Signature" on the left side below "Settings"->"My Profile".
    I'm obliged. For safety sake, I'll reinstall it after I've removed the nvidia drivers and cleaned up modprobe.d if necessary; apparently there is no xorg.conf any longer so no problem there.

Found the route to changing profile elements, so the sig is done, too.

Thx again!

--dg

Note that xorg settings can be set in two places /etc/X11.xorg.conf (old style) and in individual files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory (new style)

I'm obliged. For safety sake, I'll reinstall it after I've removed the nvidia drivers and cleaned up modprobe.d if necessary;
    Unless you modified things manually, there shouldn't be anything to clean up in modprobe.d though...

apparently there is no xorg.conf any longer so no problem there.
    xorg.conf is not there by default (nor needed) anymore since about 10 years.

But you could have created one manually, e.g. by running nvidia-xconfig (which some people apparently still believe is necessary, it isn't).
    It is still used if it exists, and if the specified driver is not found, X will fail to start.

PS, Just to be sure: do *not* delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ or the files provided by the distribution in there!
    This will break things.
    Last edited by wolfi323; 19-Jan-2018 at 01:01.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast