Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pointer device locks up

Red face Re: Pointer device locks up

Quote Originally Posted by I_A View Post
    seeing how it's a known issue I still think it's your graphic card as Mesa-dri-nouveau taints the kernel and there is a serious bug in intel's driver stack (old ati cards have been abandoned by amd)
    telling us your graphic card and cpu would have been of more help, seeing it's an old PC most likely has an nvidia graphic card running TW you are using noveau if you installed Mesa-dri-nouveau your system is broken and will have the symptoms you described, if it's a supported card install the propitiatory driver if it's not remove Mesa-dri-nouveau and use openbox instead of kwin5 as a window manager by installing openbox-kde and selecting plasma5-openbox at the login screen
    seriosly how dificult is it to post
    Code:
    sudo lspci | grep VGA
    sudo lscpu
    No need to get petulant. I tried to post this stuff last night, but my system locked up again, so I just went to bed.

Here. Merry Christmas.

Code:
    david@localhost:~> sudo lspci | grep VGA
    [sudo] password for root: 
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    david@localhost:~> sudo lscpu
    Architecture:        i686
    CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit
    Byte Order:          Little Endian
    CPU(s):              2
    On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
    Thread(s) per core:  2
    Core(s) per socket:  1
    Socket(s):           1
    Vendor ID:           GenuineIntel
    CPU family:          15
    Model:               2
    Model name:          Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    Stepping:            9
    CPU MHz:             2394.095
    BogoMIPS:            4788.19
    Flags:               fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pebs bts cpuid cid xtpr

Lightbulb Re: Pointer device locks up

Quote Originally Posted by deano_ferrari View Post
    That's because /var/log/journal/ is missing.
    OK, so the system stayed up for a long time (almost a whole day) before it crashed. Then I had to reboot three times before everything was working. Nothing of interest in the intermediate re-boots ... here's the "journalctl" output from when it locked up.

Code:
    Dec 22 19:11:19 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 22 20:36:51 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 22 22:04:02 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 23 02:29:55 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 23 03:13:33 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 23 03:36:53 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 23 03:36:53 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 23 03:52:06 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 23 07:11:18 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 23 07:29:03 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64

Dec 23 09:09:50 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64
    Dec 23 09:16:37 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64
    Dec 23 09:22:41 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: hgpk: ID: 10 00 64
    Dec 23 09:23:06 localhost kernel: psmouse serio1: bad data from KBC - timeout
    (This message repeated 857 more times in ten seconds, then the system died).
    Any ideas from that? Clearly it's bad data from somewhere, but what can I do about it? Thanks!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pointer device locks up

Any ideas from that? Clearly it's bad data from somewhere, but what can I do about it? Thanks!
    The problem is originating with the interaction between the kernel and the PS/2 (8042) controller. Since you report that this only started occurring after a recent update, I think a bug bug report will be needed to help progress this.

What is reported by the following?
    Code:
    cat /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio1/protocol
    The following kernel boot parameters may be worth a shot, although this is designed as a workaround for hardware the doesn't support multiplexing and I can't promise that it will help here...
    Code:
    i8042.reset i8042.nomux=1

[snip ...]

What is reported by the following?
    Code:
    cat /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio1/protocol
    The following kernel boot parameters may be worth a shot, although this is designed as a workaround for hardware the doesn't support multiplexing and I can't promise that it will help here...
    Code:
    Code:
    localhost:~ # cat /sys/bus/serio/devices/seriol/protocol
    cat: /sys/bus/serio/devices/seriol/protocol: No such file or directory
    I'll try adding those boot parameters and see what happens the next time the system locks up. Thanks for the suggestions. (Oh -- I did find some bug reports relating to this error message by searching with Google. But they were all pretty old.) And Merry Christmas! Stay cool down there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davidcbryant1951 View Post
    Code:
    localhost:~ # cat /sys/bus/serio/devices/seriol/protocol
    cat: /sys/bus/serio/devices/seriol/protocol: No such file or directory
    That's because you mis-typed the path. It should be 'serio1' (numeric one), rather than 'seriol'. Copy/paste it as I gave it in the last post.

I'll try adding those boot parameters and see what happens the next time the system locks up. Thanks for the suggestions. (Oh -- I did find some bug reports relating to this error message by searching with Google. But they were all pretty old.) And Merry Christmas! Stay cool down there.
    Seasons Greetings to you as well.

That's because you mis-typed the path. It should be 'serio1' (numeric one), rather than 'seriol'. Copy/paste it as I gave it in the last post.
    Sorry -- I'm so used to using "Ctrl + V" for a paste command I didn't even notice I can paste stuff into Konsole via the "Edit" menu. Anyway, here's the requested output.

Code:
    localhost:~ # cat /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio1/protocol
    PS/2
    localhost:~ #
    Just a general inquiry: What's with the "Random Question" deal? I had to answer three questions before this site would accept my post. And I'm certain my answers were all correct; your Turing machine is short on English apprehension skills, apparently.
    Last edited by DavidCBryant; 24-Dec-2017 at 08:04. Reason: To ask a Random Question of my own.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidCBryant View Post
    Just a general inquiry: What's with the "Random Question" deal? I had to answer three questions before this site would accept my post. And I'm certain my answers were all correct; your Turing machine is short on English apprehension skills, apparently.
    Hi
    That's because you appear to have created a new user account? Please use the original account (davidcbryant1951), thanks.
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
    SUSE SLE, openSUSE Leap/Tumbleweed (x86_64) | GNOME DE
    If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
    please show your appreciation and click on the star below... Thanks!

a lot of people have reported issues with plasma 5 and intel gfx, before doing anything else try using uxa acceleration
    https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-d...st/000088.html
    this was supposed to be fixed upstream in newer kernels but there have been a lot of reports that the fix is hardware dependent
    you'd create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    and paste
    Code:
        Section "Device"
            Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
            Driver      "intel"
            Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
        EndSection
    to undo those changes you can simply remove that file
    Code:
    sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    or replace uxa with sna which is the default acceleration on intel graphics

I don't have much experience with old intel integrated chips I doubt that one even has uxa let alone sna acceleration I'd recommend disabling all compositing and using xrender
    while it is possible that there is a bug in the kernel (or your install) regarding ps2 devices if it is the mouse it's more likely it's hardware related can you try a different mouse?

imo the issue is the fact that plasma 5 is too much for your system to handle a workaround would be to use openbox as a window manager instead of kwin5

Red face Re: Pointer device locks up

Code:
    That didn't help a bit. After I booted the system with those parameters, it ran OK for a while. But once it logged me out (I was in the kitchen for a bit) and I tried to log back in, the whole thing went haywire. I tried getting to the graphic interface (Alt + Ctrl + F1) to do an orderly shutdown, but as soon as I entered a couple of characters it kicked me back to the X11 session. When I moved the mouse around I got black squares all over the screen ... sort of like the bouncing ball effect that was in older versions of KDE. And sometimes there were two mice pointers on the screen. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. Something is working a little bit better ... I booted up about noon on Saturday, and the system didn't crash for about 36 hours. I can live with rebooting once a day.

Merry Christmas to all the kind Linux users out there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast