Thread: systemd-vconsole-setup.service fails to load since installation

1. Default systemd-vconsole-setup.service fails to load since installation

Hi,

During installation I changed the keyboard layout of the live system from what seems like the default (after I had selected UK English, as I'm Australian with a preference for UK English as it's closer to Australian English and US Keyboard) of that of Great Britain to that of the United States. Since installation every boot up systemd-vconsole-setup.service fails to load. If systemctl status helps it is here:

Code:
    ● systemd-vconsole-setup.service - Setup Virtual Console
       Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-vconsole-setup.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
       Active: inactive (dead) since Wed 2017-12-20 18:29:55 AEST; 15min ago
         Docs: man:systemd-vconsole-setup.service(8)
               man:vconsole.conf(5)
     Main PID: 452 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Dec 20 18:29:55 fusion809-OT-pc systemd[1]: Started Setup Virtual Console.
    My /etc/vconsole.conf is here:

Code:
    KEYMAP=us
    because I changed it post-install, when it was first installed it was KEYMAP=gb.

Thanks for your time,
    Brenton
    Brenton Horne: Linux enthusiast and writer of ​The Hornery.
    Seven favourite distros
    : Arch, Fedora, Gentoo, openSUSE Tumbleweed and Void.

2. Default Re: systemd-vconsole-setup.service fails to load since installation

And yes I have rebooted a couple of times since the change from the gb keymap in /etc/vconsole.conf to a us one. Still the keymap the system seems to be using is gb.
    Seven favourite distros

3. Default Re: systemd-vconsole-setup.service fails to load since installation

Well changing the keymap used for most apps is simple to set using YaST it's the systemd-vconsole-setup failure that upsets me now.
    Seven favourite distros

4. Default Re: systemd-vconsole-setup.service fails to load since installation

This is odd, after changing it with YaST it seems to revert back very quickly.
    Seven favourite distros

Blog Entries

Default Re: systemd-vconsole-setup.service fails to load since installation

Reading through the online versions of the MAN pages that should be read beginning with the MAN pages for systemd-vconsole-setup.service,

I read the following in order...
    https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-vconsole-setup.service.html
    https://www.freedesktop.org/software...ole.conf.html#
    https://www.freedesktop.org/software....service.html#

Note the possibly important line in the vconsole.conf MAN page
    /etc/vconsole.conf is usually created and updated using systemd-localed.service(8). localectl(1) may be used to instruct systemd-localed.service to query or update configuration.
    I don't know for sure if openSUSE uses the systemd.localed.service but it's a good bet that is the case which would mean that if you don't make your changes through systemd-localed.service then your changes to vconsole.conf may be over-written or not read properly.

It may also not be an issue that systemd-vconsole-setup.service is dead because that service may be active only when needed, and then de-activated again afterwards. The important thing is that you're not getting a "Failed" state.

Speculating because I haven't had a need for this personally,
    TSU
    Beginner Wiki Quickstart - https://en.opensuse.org/User:Tsu2/Quickstart_Wiki
    Solved a problem recently? Create a wiki page for future personal reference!
    Learn something new?
    Attended a computing event?
    Post and Share!

6. Default Re: systemd-vconsole-setup.service fails to load since installation

Seems to be fixed now. I just had to set my GNOME user account settings to favour the US keyboard input source and use localectl, so thanks.
    Seven favourite distros