Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing and updating TeamViewer

Default Installing and updating TeamViewer

1) For TeamViewer installation, is it normally done by downloading rpm from the website and just installing with zypper in?

2) For updating, I had a problem on another Leap PC. This had TeamViewer 12 installed beforehand, though it was done using rpm -iv. I thought one updated rpm-installed packages just like any other individual package: "zypper up package_name.rpm". But doing this made console go idle without showing any output nor seemingly doing anything, and ultimately system froze. Had to force shut down.

3) It'd be just the 2nd or 3rd time I ever use TeamViewer, so... should I be very cautious when using TeamViewer? Closing *all* other programs, putting all my files and data somewhere else, rebooting after closing TeamViewer, etc, etc... Can I become exploitable even if I'm the one accessing a remote PC?

Thanks.
    Last edited by malcolmlewis; 18-Dec-2017 at 10:48. Reason: Fix title typo

Exclamation Re: Installing and updating TemaViewer

TeamViewer is a proprietary computer software package.

For support, please contact the TeamViewer folks: <https://www.teamviewer.com/de/imprint/>
    TeamViewer GmbH
    Jahnstr. 30
    73037 Göppingen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Installing and updating TemaViewer

Quote Originally Posted by F_style View Post
    1) For TeamViewer installation, is it normally done by downloading rpm from the website and just installing with zypper in?

2) For updating, I had a problem on another Leap PC. This had TeamViewer 12 installed beforehand, though it was done using rpm -iv. I thought one updated rpm-installed packages just like any other individual package: "zypper up package_name.rpm". But doing this made console go idle without showing any output nor seemingly doing anything, and ultimately system froze. Had to force shut down.

3) It'd be just the 2nd or 3rd time I ever use TeamViewer, so... should I be very cautious when using TeamViewer? Closing *all* other programs, putting all my files and data somewhere else, rebooting after closing TeamViewer, etc, etc... Can I become exploitable even if I'm the one accessing a remote PC?

Thanks.
    AFAIK there are no openSUSE repos for Teamviewer.
    Yet, download the rpm to (f.e.) ~/Downloads and use zypper to install it from that folder. Zypper will query the repos for deps.

But, since Tv is proprietary and will never appear in a repo, you'd have to update it manually ( or create a local repo that you update manually ). So, since I'm a FOSS person, I wonder whether you considered FOSS solutions to achieve what you're trying to use Tv for ?
    ° Appreciate my reply? Click the star and let me know why.

° Perfection is not gonna happen. No way.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Board#Members
    http://en.opensuse.org/User:Knurpht
    http://nl.opensuse.org/Gebruiker:Knurpht

Reiterating point 2:

2) For updating, I had a problem on another Leap PC. This had TeamViewer 12 installed beforehand, though it was done using rpm -iv. I thought one updated rpm-installed packages just like any other individual package: "zypper up package_name.rpm". But doing this made console go idle without showing any output nor seemingly doing anything, and ultimately system froze. Had to force shut down. Any help?

4) Do TeamViewer FOSS equivalents even exist? And even if they did users in this place are Windows users of course, so they officially rely on TeamViewer...

4) Do TeamViewer FOSS equivalents even exist? And even if they did users in this place are Windows users of course, so they officially rely on TeamViewer...
    Looking at the TeamViewer feature list I would guess that, a direct FOSS equivalent is not available.

Within the Linux FOSS world, things such as the KDE Kontact suite together with products such as the Kolab collaboration platform from the Swiss company Kolab Systems AG, address some of the things which TeamViewer does but, not the following:
    • Multi-platform;
    • Computer management;
    • User and device management;
    • Chat;
    • VoIP;
    • Terminal Server support;
    • Mass deployment;
    • Remote control;
    • Connection to mobile devices;
    • Video calls.

Within the SUSE world (not openSUSE), there is a Salt-based system administrator tool for the management of (thousands of) systems.

Default Re: Installing and updating TeamViewer

@malcolmlewis:
    Thanks for fixing the typo in title. I did realize just after first post, but normal users seemingly have no permissions to change that.

Finally, could someone help with this?
    2) For updating, I had a problem on another Leap PC. This had TeamViewer 12 installed beforehand, though it was done using rpm -iv. I thought one updated rpm-installed packages just like any other individual package: "zypper up package_name.rpm". But doing this made console go idle without showing any output nor seemingly doing anything, and ultimately system froze. Had to force shut down. Any help? Or is it actually something for TeamViewer support?

Thanks again.

I thought one updated rpm-installed packages just like any other individual package: "zypper up package_name.rpm".
    "zypper update" works correctly if and only if the package vendor is listed in '/etc/zypp/vendors.d'.

For the case of a non-FOSS application, it is usually more reliable to use either "zypper install" or "rpm --install" to update the RPM package.

You should also use "zypper verify" (possibly with the "--details" option) to check that, everything is OK with the dependencies of the installed packages.
    "rpm --verify" does the same.

You should also check for any remaining issues which may be lurking undetected in the system, by executing the openSUSE "rcrpmconfigcheck" script from a 'root' user prompt.

Trying with "zypper in" resulted in an error. I cannot recall the exact output of course, but the idea was similar to that when trying to use "rpm -iv" to update a package instead of "rpm -u":
    there's already a version of the package installed.

See point 2) in first post for full background.

I use teamviewer sometimes, mostly when the remote end has nothing else available.

I would not recommend the rpms for two reasons. One, it installs a system daemon which runs as root. If you are paranoid, you do not want this. Of course, if you are really paranoid, you would not even touch teamviewer because it is a binary from an untrusted source. Anyway, just download the tar.gz or tar.xz and unpack that to ~/bin/teamviewer13 and run it from there. You may have to install some obscure 32-bit dependencies via zypper to make teamviewer run. Second reason for not using the rpm is simply that you do not want to update. Teamviewer can get very pecky when it comes to version mismatches. Sometimes you have to match the version of the remote partner. Who, in turn, might not have the latest version but something as old as 7 or 8. I have all version starting from 7 in my local bin directory.

Mine may be the same case: remote ends are Windows users and know anything else (nor they trust anything else ironically...) but TeamViewer. So sooner or later I'd need to use it even if there existed a FOSS equivalent.

1) Their website mentions that, for the tar.xz package, it can be well run just as normal user, but one however one should run a "tv-libraries" executable thing included inside the package once extracted *as root* to check for missing dependencies. WTH!? Despite what website says, do you think it's really safe to run that thing as root?

2) So if I download current TeamViewer 13 on Leap now but remote Windows client has TeamViewerQS (quick support) version 12, will it be incompatible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast