Wrong Nvidia driver in YaST

Hello everyone,
I just installed openSUSE for the second time after screwing up the Nvidia drivers the first time. I see YaST is recommending me the wrong driver. I have a (very shiny) 9600 GT and YaST insists I must gave a G04 driver while a quick research points out this driver isn’t compatible with my card and that I need to have a G02 driver. The G02 driver isn’t even visible in YaST. Can I force YaST/zypper to install a G02 driver?

instal the G03

The G03 driver is also missing. Just the G04 driver is there.

Hi
Correct, the G04 driver is the only one supported/built for openSUSE Tumbleweed. Anything else has to be patched and built/installed the hard way.

The Nvidia Repo for Tumbleweed has only the G04 Driver.

You have to install the Driver “the hard way”…

Edit:
too late…

Thanks! “The hard way” is very well documented, so I guess I’ll go with that option. Also, why isn’t stated in SDB that G04 is the only supported driver? Can someone change that for the next one with a prehistoric graphics card?

Before you go down “the hard way” route I’d see how the “nouveau” driver + “Mesa-dri-nouveau” works with your card, in general it performs quite well with older hardware. Works very well with an approx 10 year old 8600GTS card I have in one of my machines…

Far less hassle every time there’s a kernel / mesa update…

But it’s me who sleeps, I have the repo you put that does not match … we are talking about Leap42.2?

http://http.download.nvidia.com/opensuse/leap/42.2/

Click on x86 64/

G03
UniversalSite.org - La tua risorsa fidata per il web](UniversalSite.org - La tua risorsa fidata per il web)

Nope, like the title says; I have Tumbleweed on my system. I want to try out the rolling release system for a while. Do you think the packages you point to work with Tumbleweed (they should be I think, but hey, I’m kinda new to openSUSE)

Also, the .run files from Nvidia’s website (version 340.104 from 19 september link) seem not to work with my kernel, I get a huge logfile which says quite in the beginning that you should recompile the kernel. ([link to Google Drive; I’m sorry :-](https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xD2sLtFFmLccenmZJuA21ncYjkHd-ktz)) My kernel version is 4.14.6-1-default.

I will try the mesa-dri-nouveau thingy, in the end I only want 720p youtube playback and supertuxkart on low-med settings. But high settings would be nice, especially since this card is very capable for an 8 year old card (I played GTA 5 on med settings 768p on my Windows pc)

I’m sleeping, it’s better that I go to bed to get a hangover

Sorry :Z:Z:Z

The run files must be patched to install on TW

On Sun 17 Dec 2017 03:16:02 PM CST, malcolmlewis wrote:

Furryhead69;2848352 Wrote:
> The G03 driver is also missing. Just the G04 driver is there.
Hi
Correct, the G04 driver is the only one supported/built for openSUSE
Tumbleweed. Anything else has to be patched and built/installed the hard
way.

Hi
So there is a patch here for 340.104;

Setup a Tumbleweed test system with a Nvidia 8800GT, created the custom
run file and all is good with the 4.14.6 kernel.

http://thumbs2.imagebam.com/8b/76/47/e3190d691212283.jpg](ImageBam)

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.92-18.36-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

Thanks, I tried it and it works like a charm. The Nvidia drivers have only little advantage over the nouveau drivers, but after some system upgrade the nouveau driver stopped working, so hey, it was needed after all. (I guessed I overestimated my 9600GT after all) Youtube playback at 1080p is a little choppy, but watchable. Only going down to 480p shows solid 60fps framerate. (as my eyes judge) H264 acts strange, but I’ll search for a solution some other day.

I just have one thing I’m not completely happy about, the Nvidia is only loaded at the login screen, so it doesn’t show the fancy boot screen and the fan spins at full strength. (fan control isn’t integrated in the modesetting driver) Can I somehow load the driver earlier in the boot process?

Hi
I use coolbits for fan control as well as nologo with a 55-nvidia.conf file;

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/55-nvidia.conf

Section "Device"
   Identifier "Default Device"
   Driver     "nvidia"
   VendorName "NVIDIA"
   BoardName  "NVIDIA Corporation Gi92 [GeForce 8800 GT] (rev a2)"
   Option     "Coolbits" "5"
   Option    "NoLogo" "1"
EndSection

Then I have a script to change the fan speed as required via nvidia-settings… for example;

nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUFanControlState=1 -a [fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed=45

I also remove plymouth and lock it… then rebuild initrd.

zypper rm libply-boot-client4 libply-splash-core4 libply-splash-graphics4 libply4 plymouth plymouth-branding-openSUSE plymouth-dracut plymouth-plugin-label-ft plymouth-plugin-script plymouth-scripts
zypper al libply-boot-client4 libply-splash-core4 libply-splash-graphics4 libply4 plymouth plymouth-branding-openSUSE plymouth-dracut plymouth-plugin-label-ft plymouth-plugin-script plymouth-scripts
mkinitrd

Hi, I ****ed up again.

Now I am not even getting to a usable command line interface after an update and some messing around. I removed the blacklisted nouveau driver, updated it and replaced “nvidia” from /etc/X11/Xorg.conf with “nouveau”. I have a command line interface where you can’t normally type and that flashes. I tried adding “nomodereset” and “xforcevesa” to the boot parameters but that doesn’t do anything. Can anyone help?

(the nouveau driver is clearly not loaded since my video card’s fan spins at full speed)

Hi
If you see the login prompt, you need to (even while it’s flashing) type root and hit enter and then the password then once logged in run the command;

init 3
systemctl set-default multi-user.target
systemctl reboot
(login as root again)
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.104-custom.run -aq
systemctl set-default graphical.target
systemctl reboot

If you still can’t get to a login, then at grub screen, press e (to edit) and then arrow down to the line with quiet on in and use arrow keys to get to the end and add 3 to this line and press F10 to boot.

Hi
Just got around to updating here and found the nouveau blacklist was gone… so manually created one and rebuilt initrd…

echo "blacklist nouveau" > /etc/modprobe.d/55-nvidia.conf

mkinitrd

systemctl reboot

I really couldnt stand the flashing, especially since it only registered half of the keystrokes, so I slapped an AMD card in there.
The solution still didn’t work, I still got the flashing CLI. I decided removing the nvidia driver altogether and reinstall it later, so I removed it by following the steps at https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way. However, the package libglvnd0 seems not to exist in the openSUSE repos. Is it okay to just install libglvnd?

I got rid of the flashing with installing an AMD card. I tried various things and I ended up swapping the cards way too often. I wanted to restore the nouveau drivers, but sadly no-one ever had ever problems with that. (or no-one tried) Here’s what worked:

1. Install AMD card and replace /etc/X11/xorg.conf with /etc/X11/xorg.conf.default.
  2. Swapped card with my 9600GT and completely re-installed nvidia driver and I ran nvidia-xconfig
  3. openSUSE booted with the nvidia driver again.

Too bad I came to this solution after 4 hours of messing around. I really wanted that nouveau driver, but I guess this is an even better situation. Thanks for the help everyone! :slight_smile: